Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
The ban on guns will still not keep the criminals from obtaining them illegally.Thats where the real crack down has to begin. I'd like to see congress do something about that. Keep the guns out of hands of criminals and maybe the crime rate would decrease.We need more cops on patrol and less crime. I don't think that there is any reason why a civilian needs to have an assault weapon. I know some of you may disagree but thats just my opinion.
Can you even define an assault weapon?

Full automatic weapons are already banned.

Grenade launchers are already banned.

Guns with more than 1 "bad feature" are now banned.

Please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
It looks scarey!!!!!!1

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
The ban on guns will still not keep the criminals from obtaining them illegally.Thats where the real crack down has to begin. I'd like to see congress do something about that. Keep the guns out of hands of criminals and maybe the crime rate would decrease.We need more cops on patrol and less crime. I don't think that there is any reason why a civilian needs to have an assault weapon. I know some of you may disagree but thats just my opinion.
What you "assault" someone else calls target practice....

The Constitution didn't define what "arms" meant, but has been understood to mean things that fire bullets and not RPGs, grenades, nuclear missles, tanks, etc...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
if a person has a pistol license for NYS and his residence is NOT nassau or suffolk , he is NOT allowed to bring his pistol or should I say carry /concealed in these two counties , he would be illegal ...I sound like I am repeating what you said but I am expanding this for persons who has licensing for upstate NY ...can't bring it down state ....
looked it up and this is not rue at all.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
looked it up and this is not rue at all.
I did , you are right ,just not allowed in NYC ....

Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 AM

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
it seems now a days the Government cant call a spade a spade anymore,the governer just proved this with his new law

Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM

126 posts, read 222,134 times
So, just curious, what IS the right way to stop people from shooting each other? If legislating the weapon used isn't going to work, what will? What we have in place is clearly not working. It does seem unfair to punish responsible gun owners for the actions of a small percentage, but there is certainly precedent throughout our society. I always hear rhetoric that we aren't dealing with the underlying societal problems when gun control laws are implemented. So, tell me, how do you deal with those underlying societal problems? Is it by creating an app for 4 year olds where they shoot things?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM

When i go out to eat or to the movies i always sit in a no shooting section.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
So, just curious, what IS the right way to stop people from shooting each other? If legislating the weapon used isn't going to work, what will? What we have in place is clearly not working. It does seem unfair to punish responsible gun owners for the actions of a small percentage, but there is certainly precedent throughout our society. I always hear rhetoric that we aren't dealing with the underlying societal problems when gun control laws are implemented. So, tell me, how do you deal with those underlying societal problems? Is it by creating an app for 4 year olds where they shoot things?
My problem, and probably a lot of other people's problem, with this SAFE act is that:
  • It was almost 40 pages long, and voted on in 20 minutes right at midnight on a Tuesday
  • The 3 day review/waiting period to pass it into law was waived
  • The public had no say about it
  • It likely will not stop the types of murders people think it will
  • There is no actual indication that doing what the SAFE act does, will curb violent crime

What is wrong with not "being the first state to pass massive gun reform" and taking a step back and having a balanced approach that isn't strongarmed in to screw over people who care about their guns.

In 2011, the # of gun murders was actually less than one full percentage of all murders in the country. Did you know that? The federal AWB from the 90s only would have affected 2% of murders. Did you know that the DoJ actually suggested that the AWB not be renewed, due to such a small effect with such a large headache?

The VA tech shooting was done with almost 20 magazines. What does limiting the # of rounds from 10 to 7 do for this case? Nothing.

FBI data shows that 323 murders were committed with rifles in 2011. 496 with hammers and 1694 with knives.

Can you honestly explain to me why this bill should be supported, past "saving the children" or some nonsense? I am all for a balanced approach, including background checks for private sales and mental health awareness, but I don't think any intelligent person thinks that banning pistol grips on rifles will prevent murders, or dropping the round limit from 10 to 7 will.

The left is as stupid with gun control as the right is with marijuana prohibition. Both need drastic review and neither side wants to admit it.

Can someone please tell me why the SAFE act is a good idea, with facts? Oh wait, you can't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York