Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 40,200 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in need of a major change of scenery and have decided to move from the Bronx to Putnam County, we're looking into other areas also. We have two little girls, so great public schools are a NECESSITY, "bad areas" meaning drugs, crime, etc. are undesired locations, we do not want to rent an apartment, as we have been through that too many times. We would like to rent a single-family home or a town house. Is anyone familiar with Putnam County as a whole and can give me some insight into housing, schools, etc.? We are also Section 8 voucher holder's, so the landlord will need to accept Section 8. We are both gainfully employed and are just looking for a decent environment to raise our girls in. Any POSITIVE feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM

402 posts, read 811,461 times
You dont want to live in Putnam County on Section 8, Take it down to Westchester, Peekskill, Ossining? Look into those area's... Gainfully employed? So why are you taking handouts?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,716 times
We are also Section 8 voucher holder's, so the landlord will need to accept Section 8. We are both gainfully employed and are just looking for a decent environment to raise our girls in. Any POSITIVE feedback will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-31-2013 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: website link

Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM

27 posts, read 77,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorenitaMami718 View Post
My husband and I are in need of a major change of scenery and have decided to move from the Bronx to Putnam County, we're looking into other areas also. We have two little girls, so great public schools are a NECESSITY, "bad areas" meaning drugs, crime, etc. are undesired locations, we do not want to rent an apartment, as we have been through that too many times. We would like to rent a single-family home or a town house. Is anyone familiar with Putnam County as a whole and can give me some insight into housing, schools, etc.? We are also Section 8 voucher holder's, so the landlord will need to accept Section 8. We are both gainfully employed and are just looking for a decent environment to raise our girls in. Any POSITIVE feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Living on section 8 in the burbs would not be a good experience for you and your family. No one in the burbs wants section 8 in their backyard, and you will realize this if you happen to find a place. If you absolutely need section 8, stick to NYC.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyndude View Post
Living on section 8 in the burbs would not be a good experience for you and your family. No one in the burbs wants section 8 in their backyard, and you will realize this if you happen to find a place. If you absolutely need section 8, stick to NYC.
Living on section 8 in the burbs is a great experience. Poverty begets poverty and crime begets crime. Using this assistance to try to BREAK the cycle of poverty is a great thing. If the participant wants to use her voucher in Putnam and finds a landlord who chooses to accept it, let her. Sorry that you would rather see poor minorities keep to their own kind.

You do realize that section 8 is more of a handout to the upper middle class landlords who would have to charge way lower rents without section 8 than it is to the actual participants, don't you?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
You do realize that section 8 is more of a handout to the upper middle class landlords who would have to charge way lower rents without section 8 than it is to the actual participants, don't you?
No, it isn't.

The problem with Section 8 is the same as any other government support/handout program. While you have some using it out of genuine need and would prefer to get away from it if possible, you have others who have no desire to get off of it, and in fact prefer to stay in it. Unfortunately, some areas who have accepted large numbers of Section 8 tenants have also seen drastic crime increases.

Note I make no assumptions about the OP in this case, I am speaking of Section 8 users in a general sense. My own experience with them has not been pleasant: I am president of a condo complex that had several units rented out to Section 8 voucher holders. Unfortunately, every one of them flaunted the rules of the community, refused to pay fines for violating said rules, and were extremely hard to evict by the landlords. Not to mention late or nonexistent rent payments from the program, the tenant, or both. Participating in the program is no longer seen as particularly desirable for many independent landlords.

To the OP I would suggest this: skip the rental bit. Section 8 vouchers can be put towards an actual home purchase, and that's the direction I would recommend, particularly in the current real estate market with prices so low. You'll also end up in a better neighborhood and will not be in an adversarial relationship with a landlord.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
No, it isn't.

The problem with Section 8 is the same as any other government support/handout program. While you have some using it out of genuine need and would prefer to get away from it if possible, you have others who have no desire to get off of it, and in fact prefer to stay in it. Unfortunately, some areas who have accepted large numbers of Section 8 tenants have also seen drastic crime increases.
No, they haven't. They usually already had high crime. When section 8 voucher holders take those vouchers to low-crime areas they do not, in general, bring that crime with them.

And why would they have any desire to exit the program? If your income goes up you have to pay more in rent. That is the problem with government welfare programs -- they keep people poor instead of lifting people out of poverty. Then you have the OP, who is trying to use her voucher to move into a safe, suburban community with good schools (i.e. lift herself and her family OUT of poverty) and the people in this thread are giving her nothing but grief for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
Quote:
No, they haven't. They usually already had high crime. When section 8 voucher holders take those vouchers to low-crime areas they do not, in general, bring that crime with them.
Nice of you to cherry-pick my post, so I think I'll do the same. Nothing you've said negates my statement, especially considering how many qualifiers you placed into the above sentence. Bottom line, this is what you said: "You're wrong that crime has increased in some areas because some other areas already had high crime and generally except for the ones that do bring crime with them some voucher holders don't bring crime with them."

So, now that that absolutely meaningless argument is out of the way and done with, we can get back to what I said:

I am president of a condo complex that had several units rented out to Section 8 voucher holders. Unfortunately, every one of them flaunted the rules of the community, refused to pay fines for violating said rules, and were extremely hard to evict by the landlords. Not to mention late or nonexistent rent payments from the program, the tenant, or both. Participating in the program is no longer seen as particularly desirable for many independent landlords.

To the OP I would suggest this: skip the rental bit. Section 8 vouchers can be put towards an actual home purchase, and that's the direction I would recommend, particularly in the current real estate market with prices so low. You'll also end up in a better neighborhood and will not be in an adversarial relationship with a landlord.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:

And why would they have any desire to exit the program? If your income goes up you have to pay more in rent. That is the problem with government welfare programs -- they keep people poor instead of lifting people out of poverty. Then you have the OP, who is trying to use her voucher to move into a safe, suburban community with good schools (i.e. lift herself and her family OUT of poverty) and the people in this thread are giving her nothing but grief for it.
Thank you very much for "defending" me against ignorant people.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
No, it isn't.

Note I make no assumptions about the OP in this case, I am speaking of Section 8 users in a general sense. My own experience with them has not been pleasant: I am president of a condo complex that had several units rented out to Section 8 voucher holders. Unfortunately, every one of them flaunted the rules of the community, refused to pay fines for violating said rules, and were extremely hard to evict by the landlords. Not to mention late or nonexistent rent payments from the program, the tenant, or both. Participating in the program is no longer seen as particularly desirable for many independent landlords.

Thank you for that bit of advice. I had no idea that I am able to use my voucher towards the purchase of a home! I will definitely look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York