Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM

368 posts, read 832,517 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah right Plantweed, single payer because the government does such a bang up job with health care for all, just ask vets.
No problems there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 AM

247 posts, read 527,043 times
It would be cheaper and more efficient. Beats the current system, which will break the country if kept.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,420,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Taxes will be the reason I leave as soon as I can. I hate the winters, but would easily put up with them if I could afford the taxes. The state is beautiful with lots to do. The people are friendly. But the taxes are unbelievable.
You must be referring to property taxes? The overall tax burden for other forms of tax is no different than surrounding states, and we get what we pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
NY at one time was the Empire State

So while the weather sucks it can be worked around if other things are in place.

Taxes are what killed NY.
Right Wing Propaganda. False to the core.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 16,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You must be referring to property taxes? The overall tax burden for other forms of tax is no different than surrounding states, and we get what we pay for.

Right Wing Propaganda. False to the core.
What is your opinion of why people and businesses are moving out of NY if not the high taxes?

Iowa has the best schools in the country and the taxes are much lower. So what are we getting for all the taxes we pay?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 AM

368 posts, read 832,517 times
If there was ever a dead horse topic, this is it. Maybe a sticky regarding New Yorks taxes would be appropriate.
New York | Tax Foundation
I always laugh when I read our taxes are high due to our services.................right, I have been here for ten years, I'm still waiting for these lovely services.
Those of us who have lived in different states with a lower tax burden knows it can be done.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM

93,945 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhpi View Post
What is your opinion of why people and businesses are moving out of NY if not the high taxes?

Iowa has the best schools in the country and the taxes are much lower. So what are we getting for all the taxes we pay?
I thought that Minnesota and Wisconsin has the best schools. Comparing Iowa to NY is apples to oranges given the population, demographics and the more urban character of NY.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM

93,945 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
If there was ever a dead horse topic, this is it. Maybe a sticky regarding New Yorks taxes would be appropriate.
I always laugh when I read our taxes are high due to our services.................right, I have been here for ten years, I'm still waiting for these lovely services.
Those of us who have lived in different states with a lower tax burden knows it can be done.
It really has to do with the multiple layers of governments. So, you may have areas with duplicate services.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM

247 posts, read 527,043 times
Indeed. Take the Village of Colonie. It has no real reason to exist. It should be folded into the Town of Colonie. So, living there you pay school, village, town, country, state, and federal taxes.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,420,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhpi View Post

Iowa's population is but a fraction of New Yorks. Not a relevant comparison. New York can only be compared with Florida, California, Texas, and Illinois. Of those four, Florida and Texas have poor education and health care comparatively, California has similarly high taxes and standard of living, and Illinois' (also similar living standard) lower taxes have it teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. Like I said, we get what we pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Move. Taxes pay for services. Education and infrastructure mostly. If you want lower taxes, move to a state with less infrastructure demands (i.e. smaller population).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought that Minnesota and Wisconsin has the best schools. Comparing Iowa to NY is apples to oranges given the population, demographics and the more urban character of NY.
Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have similar taxes. Their tax rates aren't much lower than New York, either.

This stuff is what it is. Every other day someone complains about New York taxes. If you want our politicians to cut taxes, expect the services we enjoy to be stripped. Nothing is free.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,033,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Indeed. Take the Village of Colonie. It has no real reason to exist. It should be folded into the Town of Colonie. So, living there you pay school, village, town, country, state, and federal taxes.
+ sales, income, gas, tolls . . . . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York