Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 AM

77 posts, read 90,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Livingston Manor and Roscoe are very small towns with not much going on culturally. Perhaps you might like a place like Oneonta or a town near there. That way you'd have the cultural offerings of a college town.
Was thinking that myself but also want to be fair to my other half that will have to travel to the Leeds/Cairo area for work in the winter. I do like Meredith from pictures online seems like good schools and more pasture like from pictures. But that's also on RTE 23 where someone had said on here was that dangerous road in the winter I an trying to compromise on a happy medium for all. Because if he works a long day I know he will have a tiring drive home. I was looking at Oneonta, Hartwick and around there originally but due to the commute time I was trying to get closer. He started training in Amsterdam and was happy because it was close to where we wanted to be but the opportunity is in Leeds/Cairo now where he is needed. Bugger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 AM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
Was thinking that myself but also want to be fair to my other half that will have to travel to the Leeds/Cairo area for work in the winter. I do like Meredith from pictures online seems like good schools and more pasture like from pictures. But that's also on RTE 23 where someone had said on here was that dangerous road in the winter I an trying to compromise on a happy medium for all. Because if he works a long day I know he will have a tiring drive home. I was looking at Oneonta, Hartwick and around there originally but due to the commute time I was trying to get closer. He started training in Amsterdam and was happy because it was close to where we wanted to be but the opportunity is in Leeds/Cairo now where he is needed. Bugger!
Leeds/Cairo is in the Eastern Catskills, whereas Oneonta, Livingston Manor and Roscoe are Southern/SW Catskills. So, the opportunity is more in line with places in between Albany and Kingston.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 10,804 times
I've driven up and down Route 23 many times, and the mountain driving really doesn't start in Catskill, but Cairo up to Windham, and it's really not that bad. In many parts it's 3 or 4 lanes, and you have
to remember there is a ski resort right on top, in Windham. For the tourist/skiers, the highway departments, I think, anyway, do their very best to keep 23 safe in the winter, because the ski
resorts,as well as the rest of the town, would lose a lot of money if they can't get the skiers/tourists
to go up there.

You have to realize, too, that the people who live in Windham/Jewett/Maple Crest and all the other little
towns go up and down the mountain all the time, for jobs, for shopping, etc. There's a lot of small
shops in some of these towns, but not a lot of grocery stores.

I can't get back to your original post to see where you live now, so I don't know if you live in an area
with winter weather. If you don't, and you move here, get good snow tires, and practice in a deserted
parking lot or whatever, how to brake on snow/ice, and drive slower when the roads are bad. Also, I
would keep some things in the car, such as a blanket, a snow shovel, kitty litter (for tire traction if
you get stuck), a flashlight, and maybe an extra sweater, boots, warm socks and gloves, and a hat and
scarf.

I've gone up and down Route 23 many, many times, in all kinds of weather.

If you continue on Route 23 through Grand Gorge and Stamford towards Oneonta, you'll see some
really beautiful scenery.

What is a SCAREY road is Route 23A - that's two lanes with rock walls on one side, and gorges on the other, and in the nice weather, there are hikers all over. So, you go around a curve, and whoops -
there's a group of hikers in your lane who expect you to stop on a dime!

Anyway, good luck with your move.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddledeedee View Post
I've driven up and down Route 23 many times, and the mountain driving really doesn't start in Catskill, but Cairo up to Windham, and it's really not that bad. In many parts it's 3 or 4 lanes, and you have
to remember there is a ski resort right on top, in Windham. For the tourist/skiers, the highway departments, I think, anyway, do their very best to keep 23 safe in the winter, because the ski
resorts,as well as the rest of the town, would lose a lot of money if they can't get the skiers/tourists
to go up there.

You have to realize, too, that the people who live in Windham/Jewett/Maple Crest and all the other little
towns go up and down the mountain all the time, for jobs, for shopping, etc. There's a lot of small
shops in some of these towns, but not a lot of grocery stores.

I can't get back to your original post to see where you live now, so I don't know if you live in an area
with winter weather. If you don't, and you move here, get good snow tires, and practice in a deserted
parking lot or whatever, how to brake on snow/ice, and drive slower when the roads are bad. Also, I
would keep some things in the car, such as a blanket, a snow shovel, kitty litter (for tire traction if
you get stuck), a flashlight, and maybe an extra sweater, boots, warm socks and gloves, and a hat and
scarf.

I've gone up and down Route 23 many, many times, in all kinds of weather.

If you continue on Route 23 through Grand Gorge and Stamford towards Oneonta, you'll see some

What is a SCAREY road is Route 23A - that's two lanes with rock walls on one side, and gorges on the other, and in the nice weather, there are hikers all over. So, you go around a curve, and whoops -
there's a group of hikers in your lane who expect you to stop on a dime!

Anyway, good luck with your move.
smcm1232, I'm sorry! It's 23A that I was thinking of not 23, so scratch my comments on 23! That beast is worse than some of the roads I've driven in the Applachians in East Tennessee and western North Carolina.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddledeedee View Post
the highway departments, I think, anyway, do their very best to keep 23 safe in the winter,

<snip>

I'm more familiar with 23 From Grand Gorge (actually Prattsville) through Oneonta. I agree that there is some very nice scenery up there.

While the ski areas are a factor, I will say the the Highway Departments in general do an excellent job at keeping that road clear and safe. I have driven from Oneonta through Prattsvile on 23 (and 23A through Lexington onto 42 up and over the mountain.). It is light years better than downstate in snowy conditions. Granted, they have much less roads/traffic to deal with - but they still do a stellar job.

I know what you mean about further down 23A and the rock walls. I did that once in the rain and didn't like it at all.

All the winter driving tips and advice are spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York