Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best small area to retire to in the Northeast?
Concord NH 2 18.18%
Plattsburg NY 3 27.27%
Glens Falls NY 4 36.36%
Bennington VT 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times

Advertisements

Curious if anyone has lived in these areas and if they would suggest any of them for retirement location. I am single male, no kids, looking to only rent, and live in a safe, peaceful, scenic area also easy to date and make some cool friends. Also which is best for lowest cost of living cost as far as car insurance, rents, and electricity/heating costs. I live out west, so don't know the details of north east living.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 10-30-2015 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times
Well, since you have no kids the. Schools won't be an issue. NH has no income tax and no sales tax, so hands down financially it wins in my opinion. Bennington is cool, but pricey. Plattsburg is cool that it's right on the mighty Champlain, but it's NY.
Maybe rent in plattsburg for a few months and then concord.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Consider Keene NH. You get the NH tax breaks, but are also close enough to enjoy the Brattleboro VT scene as the two communities are about a half hour apart.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:34 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I know that Plattsburgh has lower electricity/power rates due to the city getting its power from NYPA. It is also only about an hour or so from Montreal and there is a ferry that goes across Lake Champlain over to Vermont as well. Overall cost of living appears to be under the national average.

Glens Falls is in the biggest immediate area, as it is a metro area. So, it is likely to have more to do. It is next to the Albany metro area as well. Overall appears to be just over the national average.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Consider Keene NH. You get the NH tax breaks, but are also close enough to enjoy the Brattleboro VT scene as the two communities are about a half hour apart.
This ^

Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Vermont taxes retirement income.

Easybreezy's suggestion is a good one.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Out of those 4 choices, Concord, NH. Lower NH taxes, closer to the ocean, and close to Boston. I feel like the White Mountains are more dramatic and scenic than the other mountain ranges nearby.

Nothing necessarily wrong with the other choices, but Concord would be my top pick.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:33 AM

Yea I was at one time considering buying, but that is not going to happen in new England, due to the high property taxes, plus I am too old to carry a 30 year mortgage at this point, in my thinking. I get the impression NH has some tough car inspection costs and criteria from what I read on here. Here in WA state, car insurance is cheap, and emissions test is like every two years and easy to pass. Regardless I don't read a lot of nice things about many of the cities in upstate NY, and I did once live in Troy NY many years ago, and it was not a pleasant experience due to the crime. Hence I figured Glens Falls, being far enough away from the capital district and the crime in that area. A friend here in Seattle, who is originally from Rochester NY, didn't have a high opinion of NH, saying he been there, and thought people were not friendly there. I have thought of Keene, not cheap there, and was hoping to find a mobile home or a small house to rent rather than an apartment, and I think Keene would be challenging in that regard. Maybe Concord too? Not cheap there in NH it seems, rent wise. Hard to get a read on Plattsburgh or Glens Falls.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:18 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Yea I was at one time considering buying, but that is not going to happen in new England, due to the high property taxes, plus I am too old to carry a 30 year mortgage at this point, in my thinking. I get the impression NH has some tough car inspection costs and criteria from what I read on here. Here in WA state, car insurance is cheap, and emissions test is like every two years and easy to pass. Regardless I don't read a lot of nice things about many of the cities in upstate NY, and I did once live in Troy NY many years ago, and it was not a pleasant experience due to the crime. Hence I figured Glens Falls, being far enough away from the capital district and the crime in that area. A friend here in Seattle, who is originally from Rochester NY, didn't have a high opinion of NH, saying he been there, and thought people were not friendly there. I have thought of Keene, not cheap there, and was hoping to find a mobile home or a small house to rent rather than an apartment, and I think Keene would be challenging in that regard. Maybe Concord too? Not cheap there in NH it seems, rent wise. Hard to get a read on Plattsburgh or Glens Falls.
Like most, if not all cities in the US, cities in Upstate NY will have a range of neighborhoods and it will also depend on the city in terms of size. Ironically, Upstate NY metros are some of the safest metros of their size. So, you don't have to leave the bigger Upstate metros to find a community that fits what you are looking for.

Also, what you could also consider are villages outside of bigger cities. I say that because they can offer a degree of walkability and could have some public transportation service.

What is your range in terms of rent? What other services are you looking for? What do you like to do?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Queensbury, Glens Falls, Warrensburg.....seems like a cool tri city area.....near Adirondacks. I would like a healthy dating pool to tap into, good eats, fair rents, some scenery, and friendlier people then what exists here in the PNW. Just want to make friends, have a nice girlfriend, fair housing costs, some scenery and low crime.....that's it in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York