Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What teams?
New York teams 20 64.52%
Buffalo teams 5 16.13%
Neither 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 PM

115 posts, read 118,337 times

Advertisements

For example. If you live in Albany, or Utica, what sports teams do you follow? New York or Buffalo?

Obviously, if you live in Buffalo or Rochester, you would most likely root for Buffalo, and if you live in Poughkeepsie, you would most likely root for New York teams, but im trying to find out who the middle part of the state roots for.

Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Albany, etc.

I was raised in Utica, and its mostly New York teams in my experiences.

When you go out towards Syracuse, thats when it starts to become more Buffalo majority I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
live in syracuse - support the giants.

However, there is a disturbing trend to the jets here since they moved training camp to cortland.

Bills are more of a western new york team, but they certainly have fans here; but definately outweighed in cny by giants fans.

Hockey is rangers, not sabres.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM

115 posts, read 118,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
live in syracuse - support the giants.

However, there is a disturbing trend to the jets here since they moved training camp to cortland.

Bills are more of a western new york team, but they certainly have fans here; but definately outweighed in cny by giants fans.

Hockey is rangers, not sabres.

Yep. Im from Utica and a DIEHARD Ranger fan. Utica is definitely Rangers territory.

Which pisses everyone here off because a couple years ago, they started bumping them on MSG for the ****ing Sabres. Contrary to what Bettman thinks, Utica is not Sabre territory. MSG has been showing the Rangers in Utica for 40+ years. You cant just switch them off.

Then when you call your cable provider and complain cause the Ranger game isnt on, they tell you to buy Center Ice. Its a money grab.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM

87 posts, read 372,189 times
In the Southern Tier for me Mets, Jets, Knicks. I actually don't know many Bills fans at all in the Binghamton area.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
When I move to Syracuse, you'll have one more die hard Jets fan up there to dilute the really annoying Giants fans. And I'll be in Buffalo at least once a year to see the Jets play Buffalo in full Jets gear. Hope the Buffalo Bills fans are cooler than Philly fans, who will actually beat you down if you wear the opposing teams jersey.

I'll also be following the Red Sox. Haven't found a hockey team to follow yet, but I would surmise that hockey is BIG upstate. It was huge in Vermont. So I'll have to decide on the Sabres or Rangers (probably the Sabres as I'd like to actually be able to go to a game or two a season).

Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobCam View Post
Bills fans are up there with Philly and Oakland fans. Not as violent, but still kinda violent, and probably more annoying.

Hockey is huge upstate. Youll find a lot of Rangers, Devils and Sabres fans first and foremost, then Flyers and Penguins. No Bruins at all surprisingly.
I'm actually surprised, as we would get Bruins games on TV up until the mid 90's or so. You may have some Canadiens and Senators fans in the North Country.

Personally, it is Bills and Sabres, but Giants are my NFC team. Age also plays a part in this and Syracuse tends to be the dividing line, as we get the Bills, Giants and Jets on the radio around here. Definitely Knicks for the NBA and Yankees for MLB, but we get Mets games on the ESPN Radio affiliate. Used to get Red Sox games on that radio station last year and you even have your share of Red Sox fans in the area, including the Beginning 2 seeming to be a Bills and Red Sox bar. Chadwick's in the Eastwood neighborhood of Syracuse is a Steelers bar. So, you get some fans of other Northeastern and even Canadian area teams.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Devils upstate, that is surprising. No Bruins fans is surprising too.

I *like* all NY teams, but root for the Jets first and foremost. I'm hoping there are a few local Jets bars in Syracuse, but I'm sure I can go to Buffalo Wild Wings and some of the TV's will broadcast Jets games. So glad there is a BWW up there, I love that place.

If Giants are playing the Iggles or Redskins, I'm all for the Giants. And I'll root for the Bills even though that affects the Jets. If the Jets are out of the playoff race, I'll always root for NY teams over all else.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobCam View Post
Bills fans are up there with Philly and Oakland fans. Not as violent, but still kinda violent, and probably more annoying.

Hockey is huge upstate. Youll find a lot of Rangers, Devils and Sabres fans first and foremost, then Flyers and Penguins. No Bruins at all surprisingly.
I figured that. Die hard fans just like Steelers fans. I once walked into a diner in Pittsburgh in Jets hat and jersey, and the diner went silent. I am not kidding. The waitress served me, but just barely. She made comments the whole time too. It was a friendly jab but I'm sure some people in there wanted to punch me. It was a Sunday too with a home game.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Disagree about the Bruins statement. Plenty of Bruins fans up here in Rochester. I see more bruins gear than I do Rangers gear around here.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
I don't follow sports but have to hear about it non-stop at work.

Here its football, baseball and NASCAR. I haven't heard anyone talk about basketball or hockey in years. I guess I had assumed (hoped) those sports had been canceled.

Anyhoo with those guys its mostly Giants, by far. I know a couple people like the Bills and they get made fun of alot so I gather the Bills suck??

Baseball is Yankees or Red Soxs. About 50/50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York