Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It is Amazon that will attract people from all around the nation. And between the Northeast and Midwest (the largest pool for WNY), there will be plenty of people.
Amazon is not moving to Western NY for it's headquarters. Frankly, top talent doesn't want to live there.

Amazon will pick a smaller city like Atlanta, Philly, or Boston. All of these have major airports, and are a short distance by plane from DC and NYC.

There's no need for people to delude themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It is Amazon that will attract people from all around the nation. And between the Northeast and Midwest (the largest pool for WNY), there will be plenty of people.
Are these people moving from the Midwest expecting Amazon to pay relocation costs? Many of the other candidate cities have talent already within commuting distance.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Completely disagree. Rochester meets all those criteria.
I stand corrected about the metro population, it just hits 1 million.

NY is NOT a business friendly climate. Full stop. Monroe County may be, but it doesn’t obviate the roadblocks that NY throws up.

And if Rochester was so desirable, why have all of the historical companies founded and grown in the area largely moved elsewhere?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Amazon is not moving to Western NY for it's headquarters. Frankly, top talent doesn't want to live there.

Amazon will pick a smaller city like Atlanta, Philly, or Boston. All of these have major airports, and are a short distance by plane from DC and NYC.

There's no need for people to delude themselves.
I still think Austin is #1 - favorable business climate in TX, socially liberal city with culture, lots of tech talent, and Whole Foods is based there (can combine HQ).

Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I stand corrected about the metro population, it just hits 1 million.

NY is NOT a business friendly climate. Full stop. Monroe County may be, but it doesn’t obviate the roadblocks that NY throws up.

And if Rochester was so desirable, why have all of the historical companies founded and grown in the area largely moved elsewhere?
They are still in the area, but have downsized and those former employees just started their own smaller companies in the area. that says a lot in terms of talent staying in the area and wanting to stay in the area. That is also why the Rochester metro area is in the top 25% of the top 100 metro areas in the US in educational attainment. Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com While this list is a bit old, I don't think things have changed too much in terms of these rankings.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They are still in the area, but have downsized and those former employees just started their own smaller companies in the area. that says a lot in terms of talent staying in the area and wanting to stay in the area. That is also why the Rochester metro area is in the top 25% of the top 100 metro areas in the US in educational attainment. Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com While this list is a bit old, I don't think things have changed too much in terms of these rankings.
I happen to like Rochester, it’s a great city with a storied history (and the garbage plate!). And no doubt those who move there, stay there. But I could say the same about Omaha (Warren Buffett) and other places. But I’m not sure it’s a draw for many - hard winters and isolated from nearly everywhere else.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I happen to like Rochester, it’s a great city with a storied history (and the garbage plate!). And no doubt those who move there, stay there. But I could say the same about Omaha (Warren Buffett) and other places. But I’m not sure it’s a draw for many - hard winters and isolated from nearly everywhere else.
I'll give the winters, but it isn't too far from Toronto and it is in one of 4 concurrent 1 million person regions. It is also close enough to cities in the Bos-Wash Corridor and Midwestern, Great Lakes areas.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I'll give the winters, but it isn't too far from Toronto and it is in one of 4 concurrent 1 million person regions. It is also close enough to cities in the Bos-Wash Corridor and Midwestern, Great Lakes areas.
Relatively speaking you’re correct (I grew up between Toronto and Rochester so know the WNY area very well) but that’s also like saying “we are basing the European HQ in Birmingham because it’s not far from London” - it ain’t London.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Relatively speaking you’re correct (I grew up between Toronto and Rochester so know the WNY area very well) but that’s also like saying “we are basing the European HQ in Birmingham because it’s not far from London” - it ain’t London.
It is simply like saying Rochester isn’t that far from Toronto and is close enough to the Bos-Wash Corridor and Midwestern Great Lakes areas.

It wouldn’t be the first time that the area had the HQ’s of a major company before. I’m not saying it has a great chance, but this wouldn’t be something new for the area either.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
It is simply like saying Rochester isn’t that far from Toronto and is close enough to the Bos-Wash Corridor and Midwestern Great Lakes areas.

It wouldn’t be the first time that the area had the HQ’s of a major company before. I’m not saying it has a great chance, but this wouldn’t be something new for the area either.
Don’t disagree. I think it would be great for the region and a new “anchor tenant” to bring in more tech. If WNY was its own state and not subject to Albany’s downstate and NYC whims it would probably be even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York