Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 23,041 times

Advertisements

Just recently moved to Orange County, NY. I feel like I am in the middle of nowhere & just not happy being out in farmland with no stores, malls, dr's, dentists, etc. nearby. Very low crime here & beautiful land, but not populated enough for me. Does anyone know of somewhere (either NY, PA or NJ) with a commute of no more than an hour or so to the Hudson Valley?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:55 AM

48 posts, read 208,601 times
I know plenty of places. I'm sure others here do, too. The question is, how much are you looking to spend? Buying a home? Renting an apartment? Are property taxes a big concern?

There are plenty of places in Orange County alone you could look into. Rockland County, Westchester, Bergen New Jersey, even the Poconos in Pennsylvania...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 AM

523 posts, read 1,681,377 times
Default Where are you?

Sisterhoney -- To where in Orange County did you move? OC is very diverse - quaint villages, 3 cities, and large towns that generally do not have central business disctrict, but encompass large geographic areas. The fact that we're commutable to NYC and yet still have many working farms make it unique from our more developed neighboring counties.

There is lots of shopping here, primarily in at the triangular points of (1) Wallkill has the Galleria Mall (most refer to this at being in Middletown) -- (2)the Town of Newburgh (not to be confused with the City of Newburgh) offers a mall and Barnes and Noble (OC's one and only) and (3) Harriman - Monroe with Woodbury Commons.

All three points have the standard big box stores of Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, etc.

What do you mean when you mention a commute no more than an hour? Tell us more about what you're looking for and we can show more info with you.

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 04-24-2008 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: fix typo.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiseco View Post
I know plenty of places. I'm sure others here do, too. The question is, how much are you looking to spend? Buying a home? Renting an apartment? Are property taxes a big concern?

There are plenty of places in Orange County alone you could look into. Rockland County, Westchester, Bergen New Jersey, even the Poconos in Pennsylvania...
Thanks! I had forgotten about Rockland County. I do think there is a lot more there than Orange County. Maybe I am not being objective enough about Orange County. I came from a more developed and populated area out of state. I am now in the Montgomery/Walden area. I do know about Middletown and Newburgh and it seems we have to go there for pretty much everything. I would like to be somewhere where I can have shopping, etc. within a shorter drive than 20-30 minutes. Also, the schools have to be good. We are looking to lease a house. I would like a neighborhood or community with sidewalks and good athletic programs for kids, etc..

How close are the poconos? What towns/cities would that be in PA?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Orange County NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
Sisterhoney -- To where in Orange County did you move? OC is very diverse - quaint villages, 3 cities, and large towns that generally do not have central business disctrict, but encompass large geographic areas. The fact that we're commutable to NYC and yet still have many working farms make it unique from our more developed neighboring counties.

There is lots of shopping here, primarily in at the triangular points of (1) Wallkill has the Galleria Mall (most refer to this at being in Middletown) -- (2)the Town of Newburgh (not to be confused with the City of Newburgh) offers a mall and Barnes and Noble (OC's one and only) and (3) Harriman - Monroe with Woodbury Commons.

All three points have the standard big box stores of Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, etc.

What do you mean when you mention a commute no more than an hour? Tell us more about what you're looking for and we can show more info with you.
nancy - please read my reply to cpiseco above. Thanks for your advice!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,275,581 times
If you don't like Montgomery you're not going to like the Pocono Mtns any better. Poughkeepsie is larger and more urban and you might try a reverse commute from those going into Manhattan. There's White Plains, places in New Jersey, and others closer to the city though they will be more expensive.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Sgoldie......Thanks. What about Rockland or Westchester Counties? I know they are more expensive, but what about the schools? Are they good? What towns are decent & close to everything?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,787 times
White Plains is probably as "city-like" as you are going to get before heading further down into New York City. Poughkeepsie (Arlington and Spackenkill school districts) is actually pretty nice with good schools and close to the malls.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM

523 posts, read 1,681,377 times
Default Check out Rockland County.

You should check out Rockland County! Nanuet, Pearl River, Suffern -- all good places that have shopping, good schools, etc. Nyack is also a lovely, though pricey, village. All of Rockland is more developed than Orange County; has good proximity to Westchester and Bergen Counties as well as good transportation to NYC.

Hop on the Thruway southbound. Get off at the Airmont exit (next one after Suffern / Mahwah). Go right at the end of the exit ramp, then up to the main intersection (traffic light at the junction of Route 59). If you go right, you'll be headed toward Suffern. Left at this light will bring you through Tallman, Spring Valley on into Nanuet.

Have fun exploring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York