Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 05:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,380,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The only way to do that is hope that Manhattan sinks in the next big storm.
Because the 5 boroughs are who keep voting for these loons.
The majority of the state, by land mass, does not vote Democrat.
So a few square miles ruin it for the rest of NY.
Indeed they do. Unfortunately that holds true for the entire nation. That's why the founders established the electoral college. It's too bad that the state's don't have the same system? It's why neither of the political parties will have an absolute lock on political power into perpetuity on the national level.

Quote:
Why the Founders Established the Electoral College ...
https://christiansengaged.org/blog/electoral-college
Jul 03, 2021 · The founders of America were concerned about large states having more power than small states which is why they established equal representation in the Senate for every state and also gave them power in the Electoral College.

"Protecting self-governance from the potential of majority tyranny was one of the highest deliberations of the founders. Thus, the Electoral College was formed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 07:11 PM

20,265 posts, read 21,021,518 times
^^^
Hence the Democrats trying to ditch the electoral college.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:58 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,440,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I've got an even better idea, just get the hell outta' New York just like we did. Your quality of life will drastically improve.

And move where? California with their wild fires? Florida with all their Hurricanes? Texas with their high crime rate?

Sadly, NY is the best place to be right now.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
And move where? California with their wild fires? Florida with all their Hurricanes? Texas with their high crime rate?

Sadly, NY is the best place to be right now.
Maybe for you but not for me. Getting the hell out of New York has been the most liberating experience of my life. You couldn't pay me enough money to return there. Not even to visit. Arguably California's landscape is probably the most beautiful of all 50 states. But it's another state that you couldn't pay me enough money to live there. I know plenty of people from California that have moved to Arizona, they all have the same sentiments about California as I do New York. "Free at last"

Where you decide to move is up to you and you alone. It's a big country, if you've already ruled out California, Florida and Texas, there are 46 other state's to choose from. You've gotta' do your own research. I never even considered California, Florida or Texas as a place to move to. You're gonna' find crime in every state, just as there are good and bad places to live in every state.

Myself I've always been fascinated by the Great American Southwest. So it was either Arizona, Utah or New Mexico. Arizona being the top of our list. Each had their pluses and minuses. For us Arizona had the most pluses and very few minuses. We spent over 3 years researching different locations throughout all of those state's. So much so that is was almost as if we'd been born and raised there. We contacted realtor's, subscribed to the local newspapers within the areas that we were interested in and spent a lot of time doing on-line research. Once we narrowed it down to half a dozen locations. We took several cross country trips visiting those places. From there it was putting our house up for sale and getting the hell out.

After living in Arizona for over 11 years we have absolutely no regrets. Arizona is where we truly belong, it's freakin' awesome to say the least. The people, the landscape, the weather. I still can't believe that we live here. Just about every day I wake up and thank God for that.

Our cost of living has been drastically reduced and we're living in a home and in a neighborhood that we could only dream of had we stayed in New York. Besides after the passage of New York's "Safe Act" Cuomo bragged that people like me that do not think like him are not welcome there. I saw the writing on the wall and was outta' there before that act was passed and his comments were made. The politics of New York, their entrenched politicians and one party rule with an iron fist was also a factor. The astronomical cost of living in a crappy little house in the semi run down City of Peekskill was another. If it wasn't for my wife being so afraid of moving I would have wanted to move at least 10 years earlier.

Don't expect New York to change anytime soon. Hochul will probably serve 3 or more terms as your governor. Followed by another Democrat, followed by another Democrat into perpetuity. Hochul was once endorsed by the NRA yet she supported New York's "Safe Act". Apparently she changes her political positions like the weather depending on what she's running for. She's a chameleon just as George Pataki was on the Republican side. I think that's a trait for most of New York's politicians? I don't understand how anyone can support a chameleon? As you would never know what they would support once elected to office. Which ever way the wind blows I guess? That just tells me that they have no principles other than how far they can enrich themselves as a politician at the expense of those who voted for them. At any rate there can be nobody worse than Cuomo if that's any consolation.

Quote:
Kathy Hochul's past positions raise eyebrows: report
https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news...re%20in%202018.

"However, after Hochul was picked by Gov. Andrew Cuomo as his running mate in 2014, her positions reportedly shifted, from supporting gun control reform to changing her earlier position on the driver's license law with an endorsement of the measure in 2018."

Kathy Hochul: A look back at her policy history
https://www.mytwintiers.com/news-hea...olicy-history/
Aug 11, 2021 · In her address on August 11, 2021 after Governor Cuomo’s resignation announcement, Hochul was asked about the change in her position. She said, “Early on in my career as a county clerk, I had taken...

Old 08-22-2021, 12:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,432,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The majority of the state, by land mass, does not vote Democrat.
So a few square miles ruin it for the rest of NY.
How exactly does land vote? If I have 5 acres should my vote count twice as much as someone with 2.5 acres?

Old 08-22-2021, 03:10 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,837,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Maybe for you but not for me. Getting the hell out of New York has been the most liberating experience of my life. You couldn't pay me enough money to return there. Not even to visit. Arguably California's landscape is probably the most beautiful of all 50 states. But it's another state that you couldn't pay me enough money to live there. I know plenty of people from California that have moved to Arizona, they all have the same sentiments about California as I do New York. "Free at last"

Where you decide to move is up to you and you alone. It's a big country, if you've already ruled out California, Florida and Texas, there are 46 other state's to choose from. You've gotta' do your own research. I never even considered California, Florida or Texas as a place to move to. You're gonna' find crime in every state, just as there are good and bad places to live in every state.

Myself I've always been fascinated by the Great American Southwest. So it was either Arizona, Utah or New Mexico. Arizona being the top of our list. Each had their pluses and minuses. For us Arizona had the most pluses and very few minuses. We spent over 3 years researching different locations throughout all of those state's. So much so that is was almost as if we'd been born and raised there. We contacted realtor's, subscribed to the local newspapers within the areas that we were interested in and spent a lot of time doing on-line research. Once we narrowed it down to half a dozen locations. We took several cross country trips visiting those places. From there it was putting our house up for sale and getting the hell out.

After living in Arizona for over 11 years we have absolutely no regrets. Arizona is where we truly belong, it's freakin' awesome to say the least. The people, the landscape, the weather. I still can't believe that we live here. Just about every day I wake up and thank God for that.

Our cost of living has been drastically reduced and we're living in a home and in a neighborhood that we could only dream of had we stayed in New York. Besides after the passage of New York's "Safe Act" Cuomo bragged that people like me that do not think like him are not welcome there. I saw the writing on the wall and was outta' there before that act was passed and his comments were made. The politics of New York, their entrenched politicians and one party rule with an iron fist was also a factor. The astronomical cost of living in a crappy little house in the semi run down City of Peekskill was another. If it wasn't for my wife being so afraid of moving I would have wanted to move at least 10 years earlier.

Don't expect New York to change anytime soon. Hochul will probably serve 3 or more terms as your governor. Followed by another Democrat, followed by another Democrat into perpetuity. Hochul was once endorsed by the NRA yet she supported New York's "Safe Act". Apparently she changes her political positions like the weather depending on what she's running for. She's a chameleon just as George Pataki was on the Republican side. I think that's a trait for most of New York's politicians? I don't understand how anyone can support a chameleon? As you would never know what they would support once elected to office. Which ever way the wind blows I guess? That just tells me that they have no principles other than how far they can enrich themselves as a politician at the expense of those who voted for them. At any rate there can be nobody worse than Cuomo if that's any consolation.

NY has one thing AZ will never have- water. An abundance of it. NYC has so much water right now they have no way to get rid of it.

Politicians come and go. AZ is turning blue as well. Biden won AZ (depending on who you ask, I think it was probably 51/49, but wait another 4 years). The more CA people move there, you can be guaranteed of having blue politics, and even less water.

AZ also has too many illegal immigrants. NY does too, but they tend to settle near the City. Most people Upstate still speak English. Every job I looked at in AZ required someone bilingual for the position when I looked a number of years ago.

I'm sure near Prescott where you live its better but just wait, the politicians are destroying the USA state by state.

Not to mention these blazing temps recently seem to be getting worse, I can't see AZ being too livable in 10 years time.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:22 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,094,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How exactly does land vote? If I have 5 acres should my vote count twice as much as someone with 2.5 acres?
Nope, it shouldnt. Aside from Buffalo and Albany, which are small in comparison to NYC, Upstate is pretty rural and probably a lot more conservative than Downstate. Downstate has talked about succeeding from Upstate for a long time, just has Staten Island has talked about succeeding from NYC for a long time. All this based on a perceived lack of representation.

If ideologies of rural vs. urban are so different, and everyone feels so un- or under- represented maybe its a good idea. Maybe Upstate should succeed, but they will lose a lot of tax revenue as it will be Upstate's burden to cover the needs of all that acreage.

Downstate feels like it pays all the taxes for the whole state, but doesnt get its fair share of funding from the state.

I dont know anymore. And maybe its intentional, but I have been so focused on the effect of Covid on my life - which has really been nothing but a threat to my job at this point - my opinions on the state and the world even seem...insignificant.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:25 PM

93,967 posts, read 124,785,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Nope, it shouldnt. Aside from Buffalo and Albany, which are small in comparison to NYC, Upstate is pretty rural and probably a lot more conservative than Downstate. Downstate has talked about succeeding from Upstate for a long time, just has Staten Island has talked about succeeding from NYC for a long time. All this based on a perceived lack of representation.

If ideologies of rural vs. urban are so different, and everyone feels so un- or under- represented maybe its a good idea. Maybe Upstate should succeed, but they will lose a lot of tax revenue as it will be Upstate's burden to cover the needs of all that acreage.

Downstate feels like it pays all the taxes for the whole state, but doesnt get its fair share of funding from the state.

I dont know anymore. And maybe its intentional, but I have been so focused on the effect of Covid on my life - which has really been nothing but a threat to my job at this point - my opinions on the state and the world even seem...insignificant.
You can add Rochester, Syracuse and even places like Schenectady, Troy, Utica, Binghamton, Ithaca, etc. may surprise people that aren’t familiar with them. So, even Upstate varies quite a bit, but it usually isn’t too far either way.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 1,694 times
She claims to not have known him well except for being lut. gov

Old 08-23-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
NY has one thing AZ will never have- water. An abundance of it. NYC has so much water right now they have no way to get rid of it.

Politicians come and go. AZ is turning blue as well. Biden won AZ (depending on who you ask, I think it was probably 51/49, but wait another 4 years). The more CA people move there, you can be guaranteed of having blue politics, and even less water.

AZ also has too many illegal immigrants. NY does too, but they tend to settle near the City. Most people Upstate still speak English. Every job I looked at in AZ required someone bilingual for the position when I looked a number of years ago.

I'm sure near Prescott where you live its better but just wait, the politicians are destroying the USA state by state.

Not to mention these blazing temps recently seem to be getting worse, I can't see AZ being too livable in 10 years time.
So I guess you won't be moving to Arizona anytime soon? Fine, that doesn't bother me. I never tried to claim that Arizona was the ideal place for everyone, but it is for us. That's all that counts. If people love New York that's fine by me too they can stay there. Or they can do their research and move to any other state that suits their lifestyle and needs.

Arizona has had water issues for as long as I remember after all it's in the desert southwest. If it wasn't for the desert I could have moved down south or to Florida. At least for us it's one of the main attractions of living here. Both my wife and I absolutely love it out there. New York has long miserable winters, is susceptible to tropical storms and hurricanes and is too dismal, dank and dreary for my tastes. During the summer you sweat like a pig even when it's only in the 80's and if you don't douse yourself in insect repellent you'll get eaten alive by mosquitoes. So you see you don't have to look too hard to find something wrong no matter where you live.

Arizona also had both Democrat governors and senators well before we moved. Both Republicans and Democrats have come and gone in Arizona. I don't expect that to change either? In spite of Biden supposedly winning the state of which I have my doubts. Republicans still control both houses of the legislature and the Governorship. In the 11 years that we've lived here our property taxes have only gone up by around $200. I certainly can't complain about that.

I know a lot of people that have moved here from California. Of those that I personally know not one of them has anything good to say about their home state and Democrats in general. They feel the same way as we do and escaped for the very same reasons. Our county with overwhelming support from both the public and legislators have declared it to be a 2nd Amendment sanctuary along with 5 other counties which included Maricopa, Arizona's most populous county. Now the entire state had followed suit.

Not all of Arizona has blazing hot temperatures. It all depends on the elevation. Myself, I can't see NY being too livable in 10 years time. Upstate New York has become an industrial wasteland and your state and local governments are squeezing the economic life out of those in the middle. That's just one of many reasons why we moved. New York State also has one of if not thee most corrupt governments/public officials in the entire nation. It's been that way for decades on end. I certainly do not miss any aspect whatsoever of living there.

The computerization of our old jobs gave us the opportunity to work from home. Which allows us to live anywhere we choose. We spent God only knows how many hours/days/weeks researching several different states before deciding that Arizona was the state that best suits our lifestyle and needs. There's not too much that you can tell me about Arizona that I don't already know. Especially now that we live here. We also subscribed to several different newspapers from different locations throughout the state for about 5 years before we moved. It was not like throwing a dart in a map and that's where we would end up.

As far as the illegal invader population. Indeed Arizona has a problem in fact the entire country has that problem. Arizona ranks #9 of all state's with regard to that. New York comes in at #3 in most of the surveys. California is #1 followed by Texas at #2. Like New York the majority of illegal invaders in Arizona are in it's largest cities Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma.

At least where we live there's not too many non English speaking people. Arizona's the sixth largest state in land mass and we're about 4 hours from the border. Most of the poverty is on the Indian reservations which make up about a quarter of the state. However most of that land is pretty empty. You can drive for hours and not see a single soul.

But I've got to hand it to you and I agree 100% that sooner or later the politicians will succeed in destroying our great nation state by state.

Quote:
Immigration Statistics: Map of Illegal Immigrants by States
https://immigrationroad.com/resource...s-by-state.php
State: Unauthorized immigrant population: Unauthorized immigrant % of population: Unauthorized immigrant % of all immigrants: U.S. 10,700,000: 3.30%: 24%: California: 2,200,000: 5.60%: 20%: Texas: 1,600,000: 5.70%: 33%: Florida: 775,000: 3.80%: 18%: New York: 725,000: 3.60%: 15%: New Jersey: 475,000: 5.20%: 22%: Georgia: 400,000: 3.80%: 36%: Illinois: 400,000: 3.20%: 22%: North Carolina: 325,000: 3.10%: 39%: Arizona: 275,000

Ten States With The Highest Illegal Immigration Rates
https://www.orentcriminallaw.com/blo...ed-immigrants/
States With the Most Undocumented Immigrants #1: California. California’s estimated number of undocumented immigrants is 3,034,000 people. About 2,114,000 of these... #2: Texas. With 1,464,000 undocumented immigrants, Texas has the second-highest number in the country. The vast majority... #3: New ...

LIST OF U.S. STATES With Most Illegal Aliens
https://100percentfedup.com/list-of-...llegal-aliens/
California has the largest population of immigrants without proper documentation. The state provides a variety of benefits and protections to these populations. The City of Huntington Park attracted controversy when it was revealed that two members of city commissions were undocumented immigrants from Mexico.
Quote:
Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...state-decades/
Sep 19, 2016 · Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state Lawmakers led away in handcuffs seem like clear signs of a corruption problem in New York State. But the worst in the nation? Elaine...

Is New York the Most Corrupt State in the Nation?
https://longreads.com/2018/05/11/is-...in-the-nation/
May 11, 2018 · In fact, ‘The data shows New York State has led the nation in public corruption for decades.’ A key factor Heer elides over in this is the involvement of “the media.” Judging how corrupt a state capitol is based on how much corruption is exposed is flawed in a similar way that concluding that rape has become more prevalent when there’s a spike in reported rapes.

Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption - POLITICO ...
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...merica-117652/
May 05, 2015 · Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption. How the Empire State created such a toxic (and criminal) political culture. Other states have plenty of corruption, but it’s hard to beat ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-23-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York