Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 09:44 PM

389 posts, read 400,348 times

Advertisements

I am currently near Putnam County and I have travel plans to go north to Schenectady County. I know people near the town of Delanson. Now I tried to do a little research and I saw there are train tracks that run through the area but I can’t seem to find the answers I am seeking. Here are my questions:

1. On the Amtrak map the train appears to run east of the Hudson River. Is there any train that runs parallel to 87 west of the Hudson? Does the Amtrak make local stops?

2. Does Schenectady have a public transit on any level? Bus or train, at all?

3. How far is Delanson from any major city? What is my best option for getting there.

I am thinking about renting a car because I am also going to be going to the Ballston Spa region for some travel destinations. However, seeing upstate from the seat of a train is real experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 08:06 AM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I am currently near Putnam County and I have travel plans to go north to Schenectady County. I know people near the town of Delanson. Now I tried to do a little research and I saw there are train tracks that run through the area but I can’t seem to find the answers I am seeking. Here are my questions:

1. On the Amtrak map the train appears to run east of the Hudson River. Is there any train that runs parallel to 87 west of the Hudson? Does the Amtrak make local stops?

2. Does Schenectady have a public transit on any level? Bus or train, at all?

3. How far is Delanson from any major city? What is my best option for getting there.

I am thinking about renting a car because I am also going to be going to the Ballston Spa region for some travel destinations. However, seeing upstate from the seat of a train is real experience.
1. No and Yes (correction)

2. Yes, it has CDTA buses

3. It is only 16 miles SW of Schenectady and a 25 minute drive away down I-88 or Route 7 for the most part. So, this likely means taking a rental car or a ride of some kind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-26-2022 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-26-2022, 08:16 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Download the official NYS railroad map.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/ope...l/railroadsmap

The tracks from Delanson to Albany (Kenwood Yard) are torn up.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:09 AM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times
^Yes…Their best bet is to take a train or a bus to Schenectady and perhaps catch a ride to Delanson. Besides that, driving is the other option.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:42 PM

20,055 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Better off just driving. No hassles. You are in total control of your itinerary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York