Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 06:41 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That article is so May 17, 2023, or two months old. Superseded.
So, what is the real situation in regards to these power plants? That is a quick change within a couple of months.

Also, here is some key information from the article:

“Are there any solutions?

The report says the anticipated energy gap could be closed by a plan to deliver hydroelectric power from Canada along 339 miles of cable, most of those in the Hudson River. The $6 billion Champlain Hudson Power Express (CHPE) is scheduled to begin delivering power to New York City by the spring of 2026.

“Without the CHPE project in service or other offsetting changes or solutions, the reliability margins continue to be deficient for the ten-year planning horizon,” the report notes.

In a statement, the Hochul administration expressed confidence that the state can achieve its climate goals while guarding against outages.

“To be clear: the reliability of our grid is not in question,” the statement said. “We are committed to ensuring New Yorkers have a reliable and affordable power supply — and we can do this while accomplishing our nation-leading climate goals. Gov. Hochul remains fully committed to rapidly decreasing emissions and setting an example for how clean energy and reliability can go hand-in-hand.”

This article discusses the plan to bring power from Quebec, which has its detractors: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...power-00014241

Here is some interesting information from NYPA: https://www.nypa.gov/power/generatio...ation-overview

All of these hydroelectric plants are Upstate, which was barely mentioned in the article outside of the Micron development: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cate...ew_York_(state)

More: https://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.ed...wable%20energy.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2023 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 09:39 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
I believe this goes here.

Utility bills skyrocketing, as well as fragile infrastructure. Cuomo & Hochel to blame.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/coned-...-are-to-blame/

Old 07-22-2023, 10:55 AM

^Ironically, the article didn’t mention hydroelectric power as an option and why I wonder if that could be an alternative given that it already supplies a substantial portion of power in the state.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Ironically, the article didn’t mention hydroelectric power as an option and why I wonder if that could be an alternative given that it already supplies a substantial portion of power in the state.
The article wasn't about hydro. It was how the government is throwing OUR money into and unattainable "goal", and the pain it is, and will cause us.

As for hydro, it seems we're all tapped out and have to go international to purchase electricity

Old 07-22-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The article wasn't about hydro. It was how the government is throwing OUR money into and unattainable "goal", and the pain it is, and will cause us.

As for hydro, it seems we're all tapped out and have to go international to purchase electricity
I’m referring to the information before that article in relation to the article. If you read it and even the related article to the OP article, the facilities in NYC may not be completely shut down.

Yes, going to Canada as an option is there and is possible due to proximity and the infrastructure available.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I’m referring to the information before that article in relation to the article. If you read it and even the related article to the OP article, the facilities in NYC may not be completely shut down.

Yes, going to Canada as an option is there and is possible due to proximity and the infrastructure available.
The point is, that we have already exceeded our capacity to produce "green" energy within NYS. And that is a casualty.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The point is, that we have already exceeded our capacity to produce "green" energy within NYS. And that is a casualty.
According to what? Like I mentioned, hydroelectric could be another option, which is being considered and probably could be increased within the state if the infrastructure is built for it. Let alone that we don’t even know if the plants mentioned in the OP are even going away completely. That’s the thing. We don’t even completely know what is going to happen, given the different things different media outlets say. So, this is all speculation so far.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:03 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
According to what? Like I mentioned, hydroelectric could be another option, which is being considered and probably could be increased within the state if the infrastructure is built for it. Let alone that we don’t even know if the plants mentioned in the OP are even going away completely. That’s the thing. We don’t even completely know what is going to happen, given the different things different media outlets say. So, this is all speculation so far.
If there were some assurance that these plants would not be phased out until their health could be replaced, I would not necessarily oppose these measures. I don’t like pollution anymore than anyone else does.

The problem is that pragmatic concerns are not being addressed. I am certainly not opposed to progress. I am opposed to disruption.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If there were some assurance that these plants would not be phased out until their health could be replaced, I would not necessarily oppose these measures. I don’t like pollution anymore than anyone else does.

The problem is that pragmatic concerns are not being addressed. I am certainly not opposed to progress. I am opposed to disruption.
Again, we are hearing different things about what is going to happen, which doesn’t even look like anything is set in stone. So, who knows for sure. However, there was something tangible mentioned in the article you posted. So, it isn’t like the move is to get rid of the plants and there is no plan whatsoever. Even in an article I posted, those plants were mentioned as being used for certain seasons of the year. So, it all comes back to nothing being set in stone either way.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
So where is hydro available within NYS, that is not being used?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York