Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 07:17 AM

5,762 posts, read 4,133,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, we are hearing different things about what is going to happen, which doesn’t even look like anything is set in stone. So, who knows for sure. However, there was something tangible mentioned in the article you posted. So, it isn’t like the move is to get rid of the plants and there is no plan whatsoever. Even in an article I posted, those plants were mentioned as being used for certain seasons of the year. So, it all comes back to nothing being set in stone either way.
Like I said. There is NO PLAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If there were some assurance that these plants would not be phased out until their health could be replaced, I would not necessarily oppose these measures. I don’t like pollution anymore than anyone else does.

The problem is that pragmatic concerns are not being addressed. I am certainly not opposed to progress. I am opposed to disruption.
Pragmatic is not a word those currently in power use. It's all instant gratification.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:32 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,158,240 times
Quote:
Again, we are hearing different things about what is going to happen, which doesn’t even look like anything is set in stone. So, who knows for sure. However, there was something tangible mentioned in the article you posted. So, it isn’t like the move is to get rid of the plants and there is no plan whatsoever. Even in an article I posted, those plants were mentioned as being used for certain seasons of the year. So, it all comes back to nothing being set in stone either way.
I don't know if you live in the NYC area. In the NYC area, the pattern is that something is "discussed" and then hammered into stone pretty fast, and with minimal chances for public input. "Congestion pricing" is one rueful example that is very close to happening, even though New Jersey is suing to block it on procedural grounds, see State of New Jersey v. United States Department of Transportation et. al., District Court, District of New Jersey, Case 2:23-cv-03885-BRM-LDW, filed July 21, 2023.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:42 AM

93,811 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Like I said. There is NO PLAN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know if you live in the NYC area. In the NYC area, the pattern is that something is "discussed" and then hammered into stone pretty fast, and with minimal chances for public input. "Congestion pricing" is one rueful example that is very close to happening, even though New Jersey is suing to block it on procedural grounds, see State of New Jersey v. United States Department of Transportation et. al., District Court, District of New Jersey, Case 2:23-cv-03885-BRM-LDW, filed July 21, 2023.
Actually, if you read the first article and the other article I posted, the plan is to get hydroelectricity from Quebec as an alternative.

I’m sure there are some things that are discussed as a technicality, but then why are there conflicting stories about what will/could/may happen? Even in the original article, if one reads it, it discusses the hydroelectric power from Quebec plan and also has an article attached to it stating that the plants in the Bronx and Queens aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Let alone the other article I found where it mentions that the two NYC may be used intermittently and the original article barely mentions Upstate. So, what is the real plan? That is what makes this tough to follow and why I’m wondering where those that live near those plants are in terms of being involved in the process.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, if you read the first article and the other article I posted, the plan is to get hydroelectricity from Quebec as an alternative.
Love how you evade the question and just say stuff. No wonder thunder gets upset.

First, by plan, I'm talking about the entire takeover of the power sytem.

Second, I said WITHIN NEW YORK STATE.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:52 AM

10,921 posts, read 7,446,409 times
My husband used to work for a power company. They said that somebody dies in every extended power outage.

So...more electric cars, fewer people...

Old 07-23-2023, 12:02 PM

8,554 posts, read 4,791,254 times
I’ve wondered about this as I see quite a push for renewable electricity generation since I moved up here a year and change ago. I frankly couldn’t care less where the electricity is coming from, so I’ve never really felt any passion about it in the green debates politicos like to go on and on about. I do, however, care that it works and that rates won’t go out of sight as COL even in cheap parts of NYS isn’t actually all that cheap. This is the first I’ve heard anybody pointing to possible reliability problems, and unfortunately that tracks in my mind as neither wind nor solar can always be up to the task at all times.

Is there any geothermal worth exploiting up here? Is there enough sun intensity for a plant like this one to be feasible? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan...Power_Facility

What are the odds of keeping plants like RE Ginna just up the coast from me operating for a long while to shore up any gaps?

Old 07-23-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My husband used to work for a power company. They said that somebody dies in every extended power outage.

So...more electric cars, fewer people...
Our VP just said that the other day in a speech. BTW, plants need carbon to thrive, so why do they want to go carbon free?

Old 07-23-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Love how you evade the question and just say stuff. No wonder thunder gets upset.

First, by plan, I'm talking about the entire takeover of the power sytem.

Second, I said WITHIN NEW YORK STATE.
What are you talking about? So, you basically didn’t read any of the articles then. There is some related information within them, that I would suggest reading.

Why would there need to be an entire takeover of the system? There is NYPA, but there are also multiple private companies that serve the state. Like I mentioned and suggested, if the state could expand hydroelectric, which provides 25% of the power via NYPA at low rates(think of the municipal electric companies in your area that comes from Spencerport, Fairport, Holley, etc.), that would be great. That would take building more infrastructure and is likely why the state is looking at using the Quebec hydroelectric facility to provide power to NYC.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’ve wondered about this as I see quite a push for renewable electricity generation since I moved up here a year and change ago. I frankly couldn’t care less where the electricity is coming from, so I’ve never really felt any passion about it in the green debates politicos like to go on and on about. I do, however, care that it works and that rates won’t go out of sight as COL even in cheap parts of NYS isn’t actually all that cheap. This is the first I’ve heard anybody pointing to possible reliability problems, and unfortunately that tracks in my mind as neither wind nor solar can always be up to the task at all times.

Is there any geothermal worth exploiting up here? Is there enough sun intensity for a plant like this one to be feasible? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan...Power_Facility

What are the odds of keeping plants like RE Ginna just up the coast from me operating for a long while to shore up any gaps?
Good questions, but I would say that there are actually parts of Upstate NY that are even more affordable in terms of COL. So, that depends on where you are.

Also, as I mentioned in the previous post, NYPA does provide electricity at low rates to municipal utility companies across the state, as this map illustrates: https://coreenv.com/wp-content/uploa...ct-300x230.jpg

https://coreenv.com/asbestos-and-lead/nypa/

Costs may be passed off within taxes, but electric bills in these places are low. So, if this could become more widespread, it would be great, even if it is for industrial reasons to attract companies/jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York