Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 08:29 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the northern suburbs of Syracuse, NY that currently has a population of about 150,000. When my family and everyone I know in the area says "The City" everyone is talking about the City of Syracuse, NOT New York City.

Our family used to say I'm going to "The City" or I'm going down city...always meaning inside the the city limits of Syracuse. New York City never even crossed our mind. I never thought much about New York City growing up.

When I went to a SUNY college closer to New York City, it was the first time I heard people talk about New York City only using the phrase "The City". Then I noticed on the Albany...Capital District local news also refers to New York City as The City.

Recently I read messages boards on the internet of people in Binghamton, NY call New York City "The City".

What I know now is.....

In the Buffalo suburbs, The City means the city of Buffalo.

In the Rochester suburbs, The City means the city of Rochester.

In the Syracuse suburbs, The City means the city of Syracuse.

So somewhere between Binghamton and Syracuse "The City" begins to mean New York City.

And somewhere between Albany and Syracuse "The City" begins to mean New York City.

Where is that dividing line in Upstate New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 10:04 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This likely depends on the context of the discussion. If it is locally based, it likely means the main city in that area, but if it is a statewide topic or context, it likely means NYC.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:39 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This likely depends on the context of the discussion. If it is locally based, it likely means the main city in that area, but if it is a statewide topic or context, it likely means NYC.
Really?

I never heard anyone call New York City "the City" from locals in the Syracuse area.

In fact I always knew a person wasn't from the Syracuse area if they called New York City "the City".

I once thought only Downstate people call New York City "the City" until I came across people in the Capitol District and Binghamton saying it too. To me it is a big cultural shift away from the focus on New York City.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:56 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Really?

I never heard anyone call New York City "the City" from locals in the Syracuse area.

In fact I always knew a person wasn't from the Syracuse area if they called New York City "the City".

I once thought only Downstate people call New York City "the City" until I came across people in the Capitol District and Binghamton saying it too. To me it is a big cultural shift away from the focus on New York City.
That was my point and there are people from NYC that have moved to those areas, Syracuse included. They are likely the people that you hear "the City" being referred to as being NYC, but there is likely some context that has to be considered.

Old 08-15-2023, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,718 times
Default "The City"??

4th generation Albanian here. Never used "the City" to refer to NYC, nor did anyone I knew. I never heard that term until I went to college in NYC. And "the City" meant Manhattan to those from NYC and NYC to others from downstate, NJ, and southern CT.

Old 08-15-2023, 12:15 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Dividing line is probably way closer to NYC than Binghamton. Methinks that the message board Binghamtonians you encountered were not representative of the average person from the Binghamton region. I haven't been to Binghamton in a long time, though, so I could be wrong.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:05 PM

916 posts, read 563,714 times
I don't know, but I suspect that IF there were a dominant dividing line in the mid-Hudson Valley, it would be between Greene and Ulster Counties on the west/right bank and between Columbia and Dutchess Counties on the east/left bank.

Further west, I suspect Delaware County is a DMZ between greater NYC and an array of other metro regions (Tri-Cities, Utica-Rome, Schenectady-Albany), with the NW flank of the Catskills being more oriented towards NYC and the rest less so.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:31 PM

820 posts, read 446,817 times
Might I add, as a guy who worked in the five boroughs for over 40 years, to most everyone who works or lives here knows "The City" means Manhattan. Any other borough in NYC is referred to by it's name... Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Da Bronx.

But Manhattan is "The City".

Old 08-15-2023, 06:31 PM

11,302 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Might I add, as a guy who worked in the five boroughs for over 40 years, to most everyone who works or lives here knows "The City" means Manhattan. Any other borough in NYC is referred to by it's name... Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Da Bronx.

But Manhattan is "The City".

True, and also true of the immediate environs (Westchester, NJ, Nassau Co), but I think beyond that it becomes more general. I think the person who used the Catskills in going towards Binghamton and Greene and Columbia counties in going towards Albany got it right.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:45 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,553,824 times
Folks outside of the Albany area refer to Albany as “the city,” most often. But I have often heard people referring to NYC as “the city” many, many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York