Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:43 AM

110 posts, read 496,571 times

Advertisements

Some areas close to NYC are Rockland County. Depending on your budget will depend on what you can afford and in what town. Some towns are Pearl River, Nanuet, New City
Google Rockland and you will see! Good Luck to you! Oh no matter where you live in this country/world you will always find some sort of "gang"!!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,935 times
I have found rental apartments in upstate and they seem pretty nice areas, the rent aint that bad either, under 1000$, its 500$ the cheapest.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Yeah , finding a job would be the biggest problem.
Upstate is great place to live tho, but the areas I found the aparments seemed kinda small, so how is the workin down there?

And happy to know 90% white
You need to go on the information section of this site ( not the forum) and look up ethnic groups and race, if that is your plan. You also need to find a job -- all this after you get a visa to come here to work.

Here is this forums link to look up locations: Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, and more

For the record, I live in western NY and the area is heavily German/Polish/Irish/Italian in my area; I commuted to work in the city for 30 years : 20+ miles and about 30 minutes ( on a bad day). Our land ( 4 acres) is within 2 towns ( Lancaster & Alden). I back up to a family farm ( hay, corn, some vegetables to sell at their house), there are horse stables less than a mile away. The closest town is 6 miles; the closest store over 3 miles ( a mini-mart at a gas station). In town, an apartment (2 BR) can be had for as low as $450. My one daughter looked at renting an entire house ( 3 BR 1 1/2 Baths) for $750. The apartment did not have heat and utilities included; the house did -- she bought a house, so it didn't really matter.

BTW, "rural" is true farm country -- where you can go for miles an only see fields, corn, trees and cows. Farming is a major industry in the state. Most people don't have a clue about it.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times
ya whats up w/ jdawg? Some people dont need to be in the center of everything..some people dont want 24 hour nightlife...it's not the definition of happiness. I have more to do up here in upstate than i could ever find to do in NYC...but then again i'm not afraid of the outdoors...i actually love it.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
WOW hah so do you want an all white hood or something or a mix?
Try Astoria Queens, it is mixed, and it has good schools.. so that could help base the area..

And how about somewhere in NJ like Bayonne? very close to NYC and looks like a borough of NYC and has lots of italians, irish, polish, and hispanics,, its right above Statent island and below Jersey city and just west of Manhattan.. and its crime is unbelievbly low.. 1 person was murdered in 2006 out of almost 60,000 people in bayonne.. i love bayonne, i want to live there but i have a wife and kid who wants to stay in bergen county, NJ

hope that helps

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 06-28-2008 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Yeah , finding a job would be the biggest problem.
Upstate is great place to live tho, but the areas I found the aparments seemed kinda small, so how is the workin down there?

And happy to know 90% white
Houses upstate are very cheap. I would reccommend renting and seeing how you like the area and all, but the vast majority of people own there own home, which is why it might be hard to find a good apt.

Housing is very affordable upstate

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Upstate is so boring...and there are more jobs downstate
I have been here over 40 years ( Erie County). I came from Nassau County.
I loved it here and never wanted the hassle of moving back. It is too stressfull and pricy.

The house I grew up in is worth $500K now; up here, it would go for $90K... for $500K, you can buy a new McMansion for that ( or several good sized homes).

As to jobs, there are many in the area... you just have to be in the right field that the jobs are.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
I know I've said things like this, but I just believe that in a city like New York you never know what's going through someone's head. I consider Harlem and northern Brooklyn to be very dangerous because of this and the poverty rate and possibility of intentionally or unintentionally disrespecting somebody who's in a bad mood, which is a lot of New Yorkers after a long night or day.

It is true that places that get less sun receieve less vitamins from the sun that make people happy or mentally stable. It's a proven fact. Alaska is one of the most dangerous states and they get 6 months of nothing but darkness. Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, and Miami have quite a bit of clouds. Road rage and attitudes in these cities are higher than in LA and other sunnier cities out west.

But I wouldn't say NYC is what you think it is. It's not Iraq out here, although the crime rate has slightly risen this year but may be back down by now. I'm not sure.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,543 times
Wink I think thats a little strong

Quote:
Hello!

Im Finnish and I consider my self more American than many of the original Americans and planning to move to New York or if the gangs are huge problem down there; To some other east coast state.

Could you tell me the gang-free neighborhoods? I know Bronx is full of crips & bloods & other latino gangs.

Im white so I would like a neighborhood where I will not receive racism (yes, blacks can be racists towards whites too you know).

And just a "offtopic" question: How easy it is to open a bank account? In Ireland the banks are liek 50's, hows it in NY?
You realize it might be insulting to suggest that the entire borough of the bronx is nothing but crips, bloods, and latinos? and the east coast might not be for you if you don't like diversity. How bout the deep south? I think you would fit right in in rural Alabama or possibly Mississpi?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
"Im Finnish and I consider my self more American than many of the original Americans"

???

Pardon my Finnish, but this guy is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York