Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 30,344 times

Advertisements

I am a soon to be college graduate and have been given an offer to work for a company in the Newburgh, Ny area. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any information about the area. Is this a good/fun place to live for young adults? I grew up in the Adirondacks and enjoy the outdoors but want to have more of a city environment (variety of resturants, sporting events, concerts, etc). Also, would this area be a good place to raise a family in the future? Are the schools good? Crime rate low? etc. Any information at all would be good. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM

253 posts, read 809,370 times
I've only visited Newburgh twice. Once it was for an auto auction and the other was trip to visit a friend. The schools are not the greatest and living wise you could do better going a few miles west and north.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,322,040 times
The area around central Newburgh has quite a ways to go to get back to a decent looking place. I've heard the Town of Newburgh is nice, and there's always Beacon, NY right across the Hudson from Newburgh. Here's a recent visit I made:

Hudson River tour part 2 - grit it up - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 09-14-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,223 times
I have lived in this area all my life.Some parts of the city of newburgh are rough as are most all cities. I live outside the city and the areas outside the city have experienced quite a growth spurt after 9/11 and the mass exodus to get out of ny city.This area is beautiful and a wonderful place to live. New york city is close as alot of people commute who live here. Our housing costs have gone up as have our taxes.Schools are good . The city of Newburgh school district offers alot of oppurtunities for those who want them . Some take advantage unfortunately most don't.The smaller districts outside the city also offer quality education.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,794 times
I live in New Paltz which is about 15 min from Newburgh. Yes the city itself has bad areas but all around is actually really nice..you have poughkeepsie right across the river, New Paltz is a hippie colleg town and we have the Mohonk Mountians. there are great restaurants right in Newburgh in the waterfront. Your not far from NYC, just take the train from beacon. I think you would be happy here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York