Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,603 times

Advertisements

Waccabuc, Shekomeko, Tioughnioga, Nissequogue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,662 times
Gouverneur (guv a NOR)

I grew up in the Mohawk Valley and have moved to the south. I don't feel I have an accent, but I do get busted for my pronunciation of elementary (ella men taree like "airy" - Ive been told it should be like "tree") and documentary.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
My pronunciations are all over the map these days.

I've got a lot of country-New York/Pennsylvanian and non Cajun Louisiana stirred together in my speech.

lately people have trouble figuring out where I'm from. I can sound like a southerner and a Yankee in the same sentence.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post

I know this thread is about Upstate places, but Long Island has some real doozies. For example:

Ronkonkoma (Ron-KON-koh-ma)
Hauppauge (HAUGH-pawg)
Wyandanch (WHY-an-danch)
Syosset (sy-OSS-et)
Commack (COH-mack) (rhymes with "lowjack")
I live upstate now, but I'm a native of Ronkonkoma. Never understood how Ronkonkoma is hard to pronounce... just sound it out from how it's spelled! haha But growing up down there with plenty of unusual names as well as numerous Native American names has prepared me well for the rest of my life with pronouncing other places.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:28 PM

18 posts, read 29,341 times
Some North Country towns:

Moriah- mer-i-uh
Crown Point- local hillbillies say "Corn Pernt"
Ticonderoga- tie-conn-der-o-guh
Mooers- mores
Moira- moe-i-ruh
Massena- muh-seen-uh
Chateauguay- shat-uh-gay
Dannemora- dann-uh-more-uh
Rouses Point- rowz-iz point
Champlain- sham-plane
Chazy- shay-zee
Churubusco- cher-uh-busk-o
Newcomb- new-kumm
Schuyler Falls- sky-ler falls
Valcour- val-core
Wadhams- wodd-umms
Whallonsburg- whale-inns-berg
Willsboro- wills-bro
Hague- hegg or haegg
Moreau- mer-oh
Keeseville- keez-vill
Loch Muller- lock mule-er
Tawhawus- tuh-haws
Raquette Lake- rack-ett lake
Sciota- sigh-oh-ta
Schroon Lake- skroon lake
Ausable Forks- aw-say-bull forks
Chilson- some locals say "chiltz-inn"
Canton- CANT-in
Boquet- boh-kwett
Essex, NY has a ferry that goes to Charlotte (shar-LOTT), VT

That's just off the top of my head.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,265 times
I did not notice Medina (pronounced with a long "i," not a long "e.")

Does anyone know why so many "upstate" places are pronounced with long vowels instead of the way they are pronounced elsewhere (Medina, Chili, Nunda, Java, etc.)?

Sometimes pronunciations change over time. Before it became a suburb in about 1960, Commack was pronounced "comic" (like a comedian) or "com-mack." The new residents tended to call it "coh-mack" and they outnumbered the old-timers by about 20 to 1. Today there are still some residents that call it "com-mack," but most pronounce it the new way.

How is Steuben County pronounced, STEW-bin or stew-BEN? I have heard both ways.

Is Leicester pronounced "lester?" It is the only way I have heard it, but it was from people who are from Rochester, Buffalo, Jamestown, Medina, and Attica. (plus graduates of Geneseo.)

Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoc420 View Post

Is Leicester pronounced "lester?"
As for Steuben, I don't know how locals pronounce it, but it is a German name, and in Germanic languages (including English), stress is on the first syllable, so STEW-ben would be the reasonable English pronunciation. In German it would be pronounced, SHTOY-ben.

In England, Leicester is indeed pronounced LESS-ter.

But people tend to pronounce place names in funny ways. I used to joke that Little Britain in Orange County was pronounced LIE-tuhl bri-tane.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Steuben gets a mix of STEW-ben as the more prominent and then stew-BEN ...... pronunciations do tend to new flat though so regardless off where the accent is, it can be hard to identify at times

Definitely ben not bin though

Old 12-27-2015, 10:36 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
My favorites are for Chili (near Rochester), pronounced by outsiders like the spicy dish, Lima (south of Rochester) pronounced like the south american city, Olean pronounced as Oleen, and Busti (near Jamestown) pronounced as Busty.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 29,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoc420 View Post
I did not notice Medina (pronounced with a long "i," not a long "e.")

Does anyone know why so many "upstate" places are pronounced with long vowels instead of the way they are pronounced elsewhere (Medina, Chili, Nunda, Java, etc.)?

Sometimes pronunciations change over time. Before it became a suburb in about 1960, Commack was pronounced "comic" (like a comedian) or "com-mack." The new residents tended to call it "coh-mack" and they outnumbered the old-timers by about 20 to 1. Today there are still some residents that call it "com-mack," but most pronounce it the new way.

Is Leicester pronounced "lester?" It is the only way I have heard it, but it was from people who are from Rochester, Buffalo, Jamestown, Medina, and Attica. (plus graduates of Geneseo.)
I've spent a lot of time in Steuben County over the years and people born and raised there almost all pronounce it stew-BEN. People who move there or are only there for a short period of time frequently pronounce it STEW-ben, which is the way even the locals tend to pronounce the glass. Go figure that one out. Of course, people born and raised in Binghamton almost all pronounce Beethoven street there BEE-Tho-ven street. I drove cab there for several years and when I pronounced the street like the composer the locals laughed at my "ignorance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York