Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM

93,223 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aibaker View Post
hey everyone! i know this post is kind of old but I am considering moving to Plattsburgh for a job. I am in my early 20's and I've read here that it is kind of a boring town. Has anything changed these past couple of years? Do you think it's a good/safe place for a young girl to live?
I doubt that safety is much of an issue. I think it is a matter of what you want to do, as it does have 4 year and 2 year colleges. You also have other options within a close proximity. So, if Plattsburgh doesn't do it for you, then you can go to say Burlington or Montreal. Just get an enhanced license if you want to go to Canada(unless you have a passport).

http://www.northcountrychamber.com/

http://www.cityofplattsburgh.com/

http://goadirondack.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-01-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Crime is not an issue at all in Plattsburgh.

I would definitely say it can be a boring town for a 20 something that enjoys nightlife but if outdoor activities are more your thing Plattsburgh looks a lot better.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM

51 posts, read 81,445 times
I am considering attending SUNY Plattsburgh..for the outside recreation aspect and have a few questions..

1) How "gay-friendly/liberal" is Plattsburgh? (any gay bars/events?)

2) How brutal are the winters? I am scared half of the time there, Ill be stuck inside...are there things to do outside recreation wise during the winter?

3) How much recreation activities do they offer?

4) Transportation system?

Just anything to know about the city would be helpful for a young student...thanks.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:30 PM

93,223 posts, read 123,819,554 times
There was an openly gay mayor in Plattsburgh in recent years and its proximity to Montreal and Burlington allows for some possible spillover in terms of being somewhat liberal.

I believe that there are some bars that are geared towards students and there is some public transportation: CCPT Homepage

Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Plattsburgh is a bit of a liberal oasis. That's not to say its the next Austin, Boulder or Portland but its very liberal when compared to the surrounding small towns. I really couldn't tell you anything about the gay community but as CK mentioned Burlington & Montreal are both nearby.

Winter is brutal though a little less brutal than what it is an hour west or north of Plattsburgh as it gets a little protection from being in a valley. There is lots to do outside but if you don't like cold what are the chances you'll want to be ice skating, skiing, etc?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM

51 posts, read 81,445 times
An elected gay mayor ey? Thats fairly liberal I suppose, lol. I'm not so concerned about it being as liberal as Boulder or Portland(actually looked into those areas) but just dont want to deal with any radical small minded crazed rednecks b.s. trying to start somethin...I'm familiar with most of upstate NY just not Plattsburgh...its more of what I make of it I suppose. Though it'd be awesome if there was a gay bar or somethin.

I'm used to the winters, though wasn't sure how much more extreme the winters are that north of NY..I've read a that Plattsburgh gets slammed by lake effect and is always windy? I just dont want to go there if its a climate similar to Alaska...as long as winter comes around November and leaves around march, I'll be okay...

Whats the nightlife like? I didnt see much of downtown...I was actually surprised of all the stores/restaurants when I entered Plattsburgh from the highway...also surprised about there being an amtrak train...does that go to Montreal?

I'm interested in SUNY Plattsburgh for the outdoors aspect(studying environmental science)...would you think this is a good decision? I first attended SUNY Albany, and Albany had barely any outside recreation opportunities...appreciate any advice.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
An elected gay mayor ey? Thats fairly liberal I suppose, lol. I'm not so concerned about it being as liberal as Boulder or Portland(actually looked into those areas) but just dont want to deal with any radical small minded crazed rednecks b.s. trying to start somethin...I'm familiar with most of upstate NY just not Plattsburgh...its more of what I make of it I suppose. Though it'd be awesome if there was a gay bar or somethin.

I'm used to the winters, though wasn't sure how much more extreme the winters are that north of NY..I've read a that Plattsburgh gets slammed by lake effect and is always windy? I just dont want to go there if its a climate similar to Alaska...as long as winter comes around November and leaves around march, I'll be okay...

Whats the nightlife like? I didnt see much of downtown...I was actually surprised of all the stores/restaurants when I entered Plattsburgh from the highway...also surprised about there being an amtrak train...does that go to Montreal?

I'm interested in SUNY Plattsburgh for the outdoors aspect(studying environmental science)...would you think this is a good decision? I first attended SUNY Albany, and Albany had barely any outside recreation opportunities...appreciate any advice.
For the most part it's liberal, but the surrounding areas can be pretty right wing redneck. But you'd have no reason to go to the surrounding towns.
There is a gay bar. When I lived there it was called Blairs or something. I could have changed hands though.
Plattsburgh doesn't get slammed with a ton of lake effect snow... well at least what I'm compared to in Rochester but it can get pretty windy at times.
Most of the nightlife revolves around the college but there are some non college bars. In the summer time there is a great place by the water called the naked turtle which is pretty fun.
There are a TON of recreational activities in the area. You aren't that far from whiteface. The adirondacks are at your fingertips. Some decent mountain biking. Vermont is right there which has a lot of great ski areas. It was outdoor heaven for me when I lived there.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Like Garmin said, you'll be fine in Plattsburgh but the small towns outside of Plattsburgh are full of rednecks & the far right fire & brimstone Christian conservative type ......... but there is absolutely no reason to go to any of those places.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Don't get me wrong, not everybody is like that. When I lived there some of the locals were from those outlying areas and came from open minded families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York