Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 26,512 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Rockland and I am looking into Pearl River , Nanuet or Congers or another town that comes close to what I am looking for. I really want a place for my kids to grow up where they can make a lot of friends, have a great school, a great athletic program and a place where there is a real community feel. My husband is a retired cop and he already loves any part of Rockland. I am from Long Island and I have no idea which town is the nicest place to raise a family. I noticed a couple of posts that say people are snobby and competitive ....that is throwing my decision off a little .Is that really true and which town in Rockland is a town that you can really feel comfortable and happy in. Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Lightbulb Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimarie View Post
Im moving to Rockland and I am looking into Pearl River , Nanuet or Congers or another town that comes close to what I am looking for. I really want a place for my kids to grow up where they can make a lot of friends, have a great school, a great athletic program and a place where there is a real community feel. My husband is a retired cop and he already loves any part of Rockland. I am from Long Island and I have no idea which town is the nicest place to raise a family. I noticed a couple of posts that say people are snobby and competitive ....that is throwing my decision off a little .Is that really true and which town in Rockland is a town that you can really feel comfortable and happy in. Thanks in advance !
Pearl River is nice- you could also try Monroe, NY- I have a cousin who lived there- it is still not as expensive as parts of Westchester. Ossining is nice, but may be more expensive. Chappaqua is beautiful, but expensive.

Regarding the people; you will find all different types- don't base your choice on "how the people are" 9 times out of 10, if you visit the area, it has good schools and recreation for your kids, and whatever you and your husband are looking for. Try Remax.com for the Westchester/Pearl River areas. Good luck!

sunny.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM

277 posts, read 773,207 times
Quote:
I've lived in Rockland my entire life and you are choosing an awesome area to live in.

The towns you have mentioned are all excellent choices. I would just note for Nanuet that make sure it would fall under the Nanuet school district, NOT East Ramapo.

Congers is part of the Clarkstown school district so you can't go wrong there. Although I would also highly recommend West Nyack and New City. New City has a reputation of being snooty, but I think it's over-exaggerated and is no different than any other of the nicer upper-middle class areas. These are all great towns where your children will have no problem making friends.

There is also Orangetown school district with towns like Orangeburg, Tappan, Blauvelt. Again, can't go wrong there. This is a top rated school district like Clarkstown.

Other great areas are Bardonia, Pearl River, Suffern

Old 12-30-2006, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,326 times
I grew up in Nanuet, and I love it. It has everything you would want in a suburban town. No crime, friendly people, tons of shopping, and a great school district. Nanuet Schools are tiny though, and your kids will easily get to know everyone. If you prefer a bigger and slightly better school district, I would check out nearby West Nyack/New City (Clarkstown South). If you want that real community feel, I would go for Pearl River or Nyack. Pearl River has a huge irish community, and Nyack is like a little city.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 26,512 times
Default Thanks for all your help

Thank you for writing ....it really helps me narrow down my search to Pearl River ,Nanuet or West Nyack.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 40,717 times
My bestfriend lives in Congers, and chose it ONLY for the school. She bought in the middle of the housing market was SKY HIGH.. she bought a 680 small home, knocked it down and rebuilt JUST TO STAY IN CONGERS..

So I Highly recommend Congers
Goodluck!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 214,833 times
Quote:
Thank you for writing ....it really helps me narrow down my search to Pearl River ,Nanuet or West Nyack.
Look at Valley Cottage also...small town between Nyack, West Nyack and Congers

Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM

51 posts, read 192,997 times
I personally like the north rockland area, not as crowded as some of the other southern parts, especially by the thruway and malls.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 24,992 times
Default Some help

I would recommend staying in the Nanuet, Clarkstown, Pearl River, Nanuet school districts. You'll most likely pay a premium, for certain parts of New City. New City is thought to be snooty, but, it's not. Greater home values can be found in Nanuet, Pearl River, Orangeburg. A good starting point would be off of Townline Road (Exit 7 PIP). Follow Townline Road to Sickeltown Road. If you go left, you'll wander into the New City area. If you wander right, you'll be heading into the Pearl River, Orangeburg, Tappan areas. I would recommend Joyce Realty. HTH ..

Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,169 times
Default Pearl River is GREAT !

We have lived in Pearl River for almost 10 years. The schools are great, as it the community. It's really a nice town. There are a lot of police and firefighters in the town, so you and your husband should feel right at home! Homes in Pearl River generally range in price from the 300's to 600's. Anything in the 300's will need a lot of updating. My friend is selling her home, a ranch with three bedrooms. They did a lot of work to the house, so it is really in move in condition. You can see it by going to this link http://janetrustryan.com/address.php?property_ID=8 (broken link) or just put the mls#413009 into any realty site to see the property. It was just reduced to $450k.

Hope this info helps!
ethel0001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York