Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:41 PM

220 posts, read 776,647 times

Advertisements

Ditto to all of the posts above. The one thing you cannot replace are fond memories. They will always make a place seem dear after you leave it for valid reasons. It's like the valid reasons that caused you to leave seem to disintegrate and all you can recall are the good things. We miss our friends, the food, the ocean on long island and of course NYC. Thankfully amex points get you airline tickets and we have a pretty flexible schedule.

All of the reasons we left turned out to be founded and the while the grass wasn't totally greener, our assessments were right on. The cost of living is so much less here that financial stress is near zero. Finding good food is another matter, but its getting better.

One thing I am mad about is the fact that corruption and greed forced prices so high that staying there meant we had to work more to pay more for nothing. Our taxes were going to 12k this year and our car/home insurance was 6 grand.. utilities were at least a car payment monthly and approached $700 per month in the summer and cold winter months. Add the mortgage, some food, overpriced gas and extraneous expenses and it really was a question of "can I justify living this way when I know a better way of life exists?" ... The answer is, that we couldn't. Who wants to be forced out? It sucked.

For those of you looking into other areas, if you like the outdoors, check out Colorado. There are great opportunities, lower cost housing and nice people. Everyone we have run into that is from back east says exactly the same thing- the people are so genuine and nice. What's wrong with them??? IF you like queens or brooklyn as a place to live, then Denver is the only place with high population density, so you probably won't like it. But if you appreciate some space, its incredible.

There will always be a place in my heart for the great south bay, the ocean and a little town called Wantagh. NYC cannot be replaced. Thankfully, it will be there when we get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
We relocated from NY to NC in 1998, basically for a lifestyle change. I have to say we found what we were looking for. I think it is a better life for our family for several reasons, centering around the cost of living. But, with that being said, I do miss some things in NY -- diners, bagels, some family and friends, and being close to the beach. We have good pizza now For us, however, it was absolutely the right move and I can't ever imagine going back. When you're young and single I don't think there's a better place in the world than NYC. But when we had to think about our family and future it was very difficult for us to remain in NY.

Last edited by south.charlotte&union; 03-29-2007 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: forgot the beach!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 27,020 times
We left LI in 2000 and moved to Georgia. I love to come up and visit but I would never move back. I miss the food and the beaches the most. In my heart LI will always be home but we are happy here.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
I moved to Montana several years back. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place, but it never really became home. So I moved back last year.

I don't understand why anyone would move South, when there are so many nicer places in the North and West. I cannot stand certain aspects of Southern culture... mainly the politics. At least in Montana, the people are much more libertarian in nature and thus tolerant of gays, atheists, etc. Down South being atheist is a lynchable offense, it seems. Plus crime and poverty down there is entriely out of control (whereas the Northeast is far and away the safest region). The South is the antithesis of peaceful. </rant>

Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM

94 posts, read 460,575 times
Default you guys are right about the food!!!!

The first day we came down to Maryland we thought it was amazing...the Chesapeake Bay, all that good stuff. Then we decided to go out to eat. Of course we got the crabs, which where very good, but the next night we got pizza and chicken wings...I wanted to throw-up The wings had ketchup and old bay mixed in with them ! I have never had old bay before, but since it on EVERYTHING, I might as well get use to it. I made the mistake of arguing with the people from the pizza parlor on how to make a real Buffalo wing, but to no avail. I also love the southern hospitality in the south. It seems like people would rather kill you than be nice. And dont get me started about the traffic.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
LOL. I lived in Maryland for a couple years and didn't like it at all. Baltimore was a dump. But it was more of a Newark-esque dump than a Alabama-esque dump, to be fair. At least it's very tolerant on social issues (many political scientists consider Maryland the second most liberal state after Massachusetts). Of course, there's really no reason at all to live there given the gigantic cost of living, especially close to DC (have fun finding a house for under a million in the DC suburbs!) If I have to fork over a million for a house, I'll stay in the tri state area, thanks...

Old 03-29-2007, 04:23 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Yeah, I don't know why people want to move down south either! Well, some parts are very pretty and have great beaches (and good shrimp)....

We were in South Carolina, and I ordered a plain pizza. The girl looked at me in disbelief, asking if I was sure...she thought I wanted it PLAIN, with no sauce or cheese....and don't even bother trying to buy lox!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Yeah, I don't know why people want to move down south either! Well, some parts are very pretty and have great beaches (and good shrimp)....

We were in South Carolina, and I ordered a plain pizza. The girl looked at me in disbelief, asking if I was sure...she thought I wanted it PLAIN, with no sauce or cheese....and don't even bother trying to buy lox!
LOL! That's what you get for being "cultured" and bringing your northern ways to the backwoods south. LOL!

I was thinking about moving to Tennessee, but since no one can give me a handle on the types of jobs available there I guess I had to cross it off my list.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM

478 posts, read 959,802 times
I live in NC now... grew up in beautiful Columbia County, two hours north of the city. I cannot wait to get back up there, or possibly New England. Being in the Charlotte suburbs, at least for me, is a soul less place - with nothing but ugly sprawl everywhere you look. It may be tougher to make ends meet up there... in some respects, but to me the quality of life is so much better. But then again, it's all relative... and someone who moves down here from the north may think it's great. I am one, however, who absolutely hates it - coming from the area in which I was raised.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I miss NYC very much and probably always will no matter where I am in the world. THERE IS AND NEVER WILL BE ANOTHER NEW YORK CITY. But I won't be moving back. New Yorkers are the most REALEST people on the planet. You can say whatever you want about us (i.e., rude, unhelpful, arrogant, etc.), but you can never call us FAKE or say we don't tell it like it is (unlike the rest of the country).

Currently live in Los Angeles (which is the complete opposite of NYC in everyway) and although it's taking a bit of getting used to (three years) I'll stick it out for a little while longer til I can find someplace else.

But yeah, on occasion I do miss the city, but there are reasons why I left. Space, comfort and affordability being a few of them.
Los Angeles is more affordable than NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York