Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM

94 posts, read 460,386 times

Advertisements

How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,002 times
Not by a long shot! Peruse the various threads here and you'll find many, many testimonials from people who have moved away and miss it, or moved away, missed it and managed to move back!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
excuse my language....but HELL no you are not alone. Moved from Rochester 12 years ago to NC and now can't wait to get back to WNY....there's just no place like home.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
I never even lived in NYS and I miss it terribly! I did live just a few miles from the NYS border, in VT, which has a similar overall feel. Bottom line is, there is no place like upstate. Can't wait to get back!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I think part of you will always miss it. But I suggest you give it time. It can take more than a year to get used to a new place.
Try to find the good things about your new area.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
I miss many things about NY but I don't think I'd move back to NYC. I just spent one year in Taos, NM and sure learned how much NY, the Downstate City, or the Upstate Cities, have to offer.

I couldn't get a bagel worth a ha'penny, among other things.

But most of all I missed the vibrancy of all of NYS and would consider finding a niche Upstate.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Out of the people I know that have moved away, the ones that have moved down south seem to miss it the most. Most peole that have moved down south will always complain there are no good places for food, lack of identity and lack of culture. The ones that have moved to other northeastern cities don't complain as much, but still miss it.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
I miss NYC very much and probably always will no matter where I am in the world. THERE IS AND NEVER WILL BE ANOTHER NEW YORK CITY. But I won't be moving back. New Yorkers are the most REALEST people on the planet. You can say whatever you want about us (i.e., rude, unhelpful, arrogant, etc.), but you can never call us FAKE or say we don't tell it like it is (unlike the rest of the country).

Currently live in Los Angeles (which is the complete opposite of NYC in everyway) and although it's taking a bit of getting used to (three years) I'll stick it out for a little while longer til I can find someplace else.

But yeah, on occasion I do miss the city, but there are reasons why I left. Space, comfort and affordability being a few of them.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Yes we miss Long Island!

We are originally from Long Island NY and yes we miss Long Island very much. Miss family mainly and then i guess the the fact that Long Island holds our fond memories of childhood.

We moved due to the high cost of living, high prices of homes, crazy taxes and high utilities.

We moved to Henderson Nevada, we would move back but it seems that even my higher educated friends on Long Island are looking to leave, they say the LI salaries do not keep up with the cost of living there.

So i doubt we will return, but we are leaving Nevada, the schools here are not good at all and much more.

On LI for the majority that i know both parents have to work full time to get by, and even doing that , they still seem to be tight with cash. While out here in Nevada we are a upper middle class family where i work full time ( 40 hours ) very little traffic compared to LI and my wife could stay home and raise our kids. And we own a brand new home in a great area.

I just wish Long Island was more affordable to the middle class.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
I will always miss LI! But, never going back to live.

It was HARD moving from LI to a little town down south...totally true what the other poster said about that. It was like another language they spoke, and we couldn't figure out what the hell they ate! Nothing we recognized! They did/do everything....let's say "different". They have bumper stickers that say "I don't give a damn HOW you do it up north"....

Not down south anymore, but still miss the FOOD!! Really, outside of NY no one knows how to eat! And I miss real ethnic foods. I miss the attitudes, the sarcasim. I miss knowing what direction is what no matter where I am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York