Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:46 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times

Advertisements

NH is very hot and humid in the summer. I moved from LI when I was 24, went to Colorado and saw how the other half lives. After 5 years there I had a kid and split up with the girl I was with, I actually GOT custody of my child when she was 1. Well my bills piled up and had to sell my house to pay them. I could have made it there but panicked.

So I went back east to New Jersey where my brother lives till I could get back on my feet. Worse move I ever made. I am so INCREDABLY SAD here! The summer is kicking in and hate humidity! I worked for United Airlines so transferring was no problem. But after 9-11 the airlines have gone downhill. So I quit last year and went to school for computers. So Im kinda starting over.

And now theres a lite at the end of the tunnel! I will be leaving to go west again! This time Im going all the way to the west coast. Wa. state. Theres no extreme temps there, yeah its over cast alot in the winter but anything is better then here!! ANYTHING!! And the biggest difference is the people. As soon as your west of Chicago a person will give you the shirt off there back!!

Maine was a consideration but I had have enough of cold and snow!!
I cant wait!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 55,559 times
Malone ny is cold all the freakin time , I have to wear a coat 10 months out of the yr . I hate it.gimme Florida or at least anywher below Albany..this part of ny should have went to Canada..we certainly have the weather

Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 PM

113 posts, read 342,163 times
One of the things I loved about Maine and Vermont is..NO Billbords!

Those BIG UGLY advertisments IN YOUR FACE as you go along.

It proved itself a Wonderful idea that has Greatly Improved the landscape!

Anyone who has driven South on I-95 knows how they "DO' billboards...flashing Ye MUST be Born Again on one side and Crazy Horse 'gentlemens' clubs on the other.
Thats right! Moving billboards! Twice the distraction.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
Great thread. I found it enlightening and validating.

I am a native Brookynite who is planning a move to Brattleboro, VT. Small town with urban amenities. Near the mountains, not impossibly far from the coast, good people, sense of community, lots of culture, lots of arts, outdoor things to do, low crime, pretty area, tolerant, bohemian, artsy, a regional hub in my profession. Also, close to New York state, not impossibly close to NYC, near the Pioneer Valley and the Birkshires, near Maine and 5 minutes away from New Hampshire. Keene is 30 minutes away. Also, lots of big Victorian houses. Relatively little new construction, but there is some. Also, you can choose where you want to be on the urban to rural continuum. In town, places have an urban feel, with houses close together. Other neighborhoods are more surburban and still others are quite rural.

The negatives: high cost of living, low salaries. To thrive there, you need multiple sources of income, such as a job, a second job, freelance work, a side business, an income-producing hobby and/or rental income. Also, long winters, but I think they are milder than the typical "Vermont winter". Not too different from NYC winters, I don't think.

I have never had a serious desire to move to the south. You can bundle up in the cold, but you can't bundle down in the heat. Also, although generalizations are unfairly broad brushed, I prefer the more cosmopolitan mentality I find in the northeast.

This thread has really been enouraging to me in terms of my plans to move to Vermont. I want to explore the towns in upstate NY while I am there, although day trips would have to be confined to towns in Eastern NY.

My only real obstacles to moving are my inertia, my fear of making a mistake and my attachment to NYC.

Last edited by arel; 07-23-2007 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 AM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
I moved to Florida from LI a month ago (not a choice). If not NY, then I would rather be in Maine. Beautiful place.

Not much difference now - summer here, summer there. Just a matter of degree. However, come the fall and winter I will miss being north more so than now. I know. Been there, done that before.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,676 times
Default gaudiness

Hey, about those billboards. how do you like the ones advertising "south of the boarder" for 200 miles in either direction spaced every half mile????? and get along a secondary road in the south and see the many, many billboards for "Crazy Billy's penuts" or JR's on I-77 advertised as some BIG rompin'-stompin' humungous tourist trap and you get to it and its nothing but a roadside shak. Or the never-ending billboards about "flashy-Freddy's" fireworks??? and the "adult"-Superstores everywhere???
Yea! give me Vermont any day of the year. Or anywhere in the Northeast. And the majority of folks in the South are supposed to be these Ultra-Conservative, responsible, leading the way of moral purity, laid back, mature, we want the country to live right - Ambassadors of the free world???? EEEEGADS!!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
We'd love to stay in NY and possibly head north above Glens Falls. We grew up here in Dutchess County and it's definitely become "Little Westchester." It's not got the home feel it used to have where you knew your neighbors, it's too expensive for everything down on this end of the state. To make it here you have to commute to Westchester or NYC. We both have jobs here-but don't pay anywhere near what the lower counties pay even after 20+ years on either of our jobs.

We are hesitant to move upstate because we'll still be dealing with high taxes, car insurance, and a low income. Where would we find jobs and we'd be starting all over and it's not what we want to do with 2 teens about to enter college and another still in elementary. We love the area up there-we'd be able to have the property we want, enjoy the outdoors activities we can no longer do here- letting your kids sleep out in a tent here in the summer means listening to sirens, boomboxes with wheels,horns and airplanes. Long gone are the days of the errant horse getting out of the pasture-they are all gone.

Oh and to the person talking about having Bush/Cheney stickers and a Dodge pickup-I resemble that person and I am not a redneck at all. But somedays after dealing with the liberal's that are all down here in my area, I'd easily go to a place where politically correct can go scratch and would be laughed at.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I moved to Florida from LI a month ago (not a choice). If not NY, then I would rather be in Maine. Beautiful place.

Not much difference now - summer here, summer there. Just a matter of degree. However, come the fall and winter I will miss being north more so than now. I know. Been there, done that before.
I wish you the Best of Luck! I'm finally leaving here Orlando next week to Upstate NY. Long over due. I too would pick Maine as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,629 times
Red face Sick of Florida - need a push

Okay, I've been here since Feb 2001, moved from Massachusetts and prior to that Connecticut. Yup, I HATED the winter months up north, no color, driving in snow/ice, cleaning car, etc. But, I must say, I CAN"T STAND summers in Florida. Not to mention how one-dimensional it is. Okay the beaches are gorgeous. But you can't even go to the beach in the summer b/c the sand/sun is too hot!!!! All my family is up North in Connecticut and during the summer I get so melancholy and depressed down here that I just recently got meds!!!!! How can I overcome the scarey thought of throwing away my flip flops for boots. I do also miss crisp apples, the fall, the smells, the culture and the people. I haven't had a date since I moved down here. What the???????????? should I do? My family would love it if I moved back.
need advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York