Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 AM

39 posts, read 213,990 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to retire in the next year. I would like to get out of the Florida heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year. I am originally from NYC and would like to spend that 6 months in upstate NY, preferably on the eastern side of the state. I also have reservations about buying a house somewhere and leaving it empty for a considerable time (don't want to rent it out). I am thinking that a condo or townhome would be the thing to do. After looking at several real estate sites, it seems to me that there isn't an abundance of condos or townhomes outside of the larger population centers (Captial region, etc). I was thinking of something in the Adirondack region, maybe Glens Falls or Plattsburgh area. Can anyone tell me if there are indeed areas in eastern NY that have such housing? Also, is under 200K an unreasonable amount for a condo or townhome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
I suggest doing an MLS search for the areas you're interested in and that should tell you where townhomes or condos are available in your price range.

Realtor.com has all MLS listings and you can choose where to look by map, city, zip code, and restrict your search to just condos and townhouses.

You may be shocked to know New York may not provide you with much relief from the heat. Our summers can be very unpleasant, so I suggest looking only in the mountain areas. The Adirondack area would be best as the mountains are very nice in the summer, but you may have issues finding a place there. The two areas in your price range that may have what you're looking for are the Lake George/Glens Falls and the Catskill/Shawangunk mountains areas of Ulster and Sullivan counties. Be aware that there are some dirt cheap places in Sullivan county but that's because the area is very economically depressed. The property and income taxes, and utility bills in New York can be murder so always take those into account.

There is a larger market for vacation homes than there is for condos and townhomes in the Adirondack area. Because much of the area is a state park, there are building moratoriums all over; many put in place before townhouses and condos became popular. Take care exactly where you're looking for a place because upstate New York has some very nice areas but also has some very depressed areas and you have to know which is which. I suggest visiting the region this summer. The driving is beautiful and you can visit the towns you find most interesting. You can fly to Stewart or Albany airports directly from Florida, rent a car, and go exploring. There are some beautiful resort areas around Saratoga and Lake George and Ausable Chasm is just breathtaking. The drive is very pleasant and scenic. Finish off your trip with a weekend at Mohonk Mountain House before you return home and get a feel for what made upstate New York one of the nation's first great summer getaways.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks for your input. I grew up in NYC and moved to FL when I was 29. So, I am aware of the weather in NY in the summer. Let me tell you nothing compares to the humidity in FL. I spent a lot of time in the northern Catskills (Delaware County) and I thought the weather was nice there. As far as economically depressed areas, I will be retired so I will not be looking for employment. With that in mind, I will revisit Realtor.com. The last time I checked, there wasn't much in the way of condos in the area east of the Adirondacks. I just may have to go the single house route. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I suggest doing an MLS search for the areas you're interested in and that should tell you where townhomes or condos are available in your price range.

Realtor.com has all MLS listings and you can choose where to look by map, city, zip code, and restrict your search to just condos and townhouses.

You may be shocked to know New York may not provide you with much relief from the heat. Our summers can be very unpleasant, so I suggest looking only in the mountain areas. The Adirondack area would be best as the mountains are very nice in the summer, but you may have issues finding a place there. The two areas in your price range that may have what you're looking for are the Lake George/Glens Falls and the Catskill/Shawangunk mountains areas of Ulster and Sullivan counties. Be aware that there are some dirt cheap places in Sullivan county but that's because the area is very economically depressed. The property and income taxes, and utility bills in New York can be murder so always take those into account.

There is a larger market for vacation homes than there is for condos and townhomes in the Adirondack area. Because much of the area is a state park, there are building moratoriums all over; many put in place before townhouses and condos became popular. Take care exactly where you're looking for a place because upstate New York has some very nice areas but also has some very depressed areas and you have to know which is which. I suggest visiting the region this summer. The driving is beautiful and you can visit the towns you find most interesting. You can fly to Stewart or Albany airports directly from Florida, rent a car, and go exploring. There are some beautiful resort areas around Saratoga and Lake George and Ausable Chasm is just breathtaking. The drive is very pleasant and scenic. Finish off your trip with a weekend at Mohonk Mountain House before you return home and get a feel for what made upstate New York one of the nation's first great summer getaways.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:12 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFaninOrlando View Post
Thanks for your input. I grew up in NYC and moved to FL when I was 29. So, I am aware of the weather in NY in the summer. Let me tell you nothing compares to the humidity in FL. I spent a lot of time in the northern Catskills (Delaware County) and I thought the weather was nice there. As far as economically depressed areas, I will be retired so I will not be looking for employment. With that in mind, I will revisit Realtor.com. The last time I checked, there wasn't much in the way of condos in the area east of the Adirondacks. I just may have to go the single house route. Thanks again.
Welcome back then!

My warning about the economics was more because of the crime situation. There are some otherwise nice towns that have serious crack and meth problems You wouldn't want to live in them no matter how cheap.

Yes, upstate the weather can be wonderful. I think Albany is the cut-off. I checked Realtor.com and found condos in the Glens Falls area in your price range. As you probably know, the lakes up there are big summer vacation areas but have some retirees as well. Of all the towns in far eastern NY, my favorite is Essex. I don't think there are any condos, but it's right on Lake Champlain and the ferry can take you to Vermont in about 20 minutes. You could be in Burlington in under an hour. You can also get to Plattsburgh in about the same time via the Northway. The whole area from Westport up to Port Kent is really nice. It's very rural but Burlington is right next door for good shopping, dining, advanced health care, and entertainment. I'm a big fan of Burlington and I think that even in the most rural areas it's always nice to have a little civilization nearby when prarie madness sets in.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM

We were leaning towards that area. I read somewhere that there were some condos going in at the old AFB in Plattsburgh. I also think that the AFB is getting developed into a civilian airport. We will be coming up to that area in September to look around. Until then, I will melt a little longer. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Welcome back then!

My warning about the economics was more because of the crime situation. There are some otherwise nice towns that have serious crack and meth problems You wouldn't want to live in them no matter how cheap.

Yes, upstate the weather can be wonderful. I think Albany is the cut-off. I checked Realtor.com and found condos in the Glens Falls area in your price range. As you probably know, the lakes up there are big summer vacation areas but have some retirees as well. Of all the towns in far eastern NY, my favorite is Essex. I don't think there are any condos, but it's right on Lake Champlain and the ferry can take you to Vermont in about 20 minutes. You could be in Burlington in under an hour. You can also get to Plattsburgh in about the same time via the Northway. The whole area from Westport up to Port Kent is really nice. It's very rural but Burlington is right next door for good shopping, dining, advanced health care, and entertainment. I'm a big fan of Burlington and I think that even in the most rural areas it's always nice to have a little civilization nearby when prarie madness sets in.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:24 PM

160 posts, read 564,705 times
Default Plattsburgh? Condos? Yes

I live on the old Plattsburgh base, and there are currently two large buildings being converted to condos, with lakefront views, no less, and another condo development breaking ground (also near the lake). Meanwhile, another set of buildings on the base is up for sale, and the apartments there may go condo.
I moved here last year and love the area, and the summers are cool, with maybe one week to 10 days of temps in the 90s, according to locals. Didn't happen last year, though. We don't own an air conditioner, at least not yet.
Just check the property taxes. We had a hike the last two years, and it's been tough on some of the old-timers (though doesn't seem that bad to us, as transplanted downstaters).
Good luck, and come visit!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post There are affordable townhouses also........

Have to second what Nunoco says re: condos/townhouses in Plattsburgh. (We meet again, Nunoco.......) He lives on the old base and I happen to live on the "new" base, where there are approximately 300 units/townhouses I believe and the one that we live in sold for........get ready......89,000 three years ago. I love it here. I have approximately 1550 sq feet, 2 and a half baths, large patio with fountain, end unit with brick trim, all appliances were included, and 3 bedrooms, although one is very small. I bought mine when this phase first was being marketed, so it was extremely inexpensive and my assessment just went up again.......to 120,000. I know people also who are upset because of taxes, but I have never lived in a place where people are better taken care of with police, fire department, schools, nursing homes, and quality of life. People are very friendly and warm. I think some of the people that complain should live in a less taxing state, look at the roads and services, quality of life, then they would run back here to live........I have wonderful neighbors, some teachers, lawyers, retired and young families and the area is dog friendly if that works for you. Some of my neighbors are people who summer here and winter in Florida. There is a property management company who handles most of the owners homes here. I can give you more info if you are interested. There happen to be some homes for sale right now because it is starting to be prime moving time due to children getting out of school in a few more weeks. Also, one of the streets over here has become extremely busy as a short cut from just south of town into the city, so right now I think there are three for sale on that street right now. It doesn't seem that they stay on the market that long, and I do think Pburgh is heading into a mini boom in the near future. There are things happening around here that are pretty interesting, plus the sheer amazing beauty of this area. You probably know that we are across the lake from Burlington, Vermont where my place would probably sell for at least twice as much. You can almost bet that any house here would sell for about twice as much in Bton. Montreal is a great escape weekend.........Lots of hiking, canoeing, boating, health and fitness center just around the corner from me. I can't say enough good things about this community..........Glad you are coming to visit. It is a wonderful place to live.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I have to also reccomend Plattsburgh. You will be able to find a condo for cheap.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFaninOrlando View Post
I'm looking to retire in the next year. I would like to get out of the Florida heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year. I am originally from NYC and would like to spend that 6 months in upstate NY, preferably on the eastern side of the state. I also have reservations about buying a house somewhere and leaving it empty for a considerable time (don't want to rent it out). I am thinking that a condo or townhome would be the thing to do. After looking at several real estate sites, it seems to me that there isn't an abundance of condos or townhomes outside of the larger population centers (Captial region, etc). I was thinking of something in the Adirondack region, maybe Glens Falls or Plattsburgh area. Can anyone tell me if there are indeed areas in eastern NY that have such housing? Also, is under 200K an unreasonable amount for a condo or townhome?

Get yourself a nice little house in Lake Louise Marie or Emerald Green in the Rock Hill area. Lots of people have Summer homes there.

Last edited by sheena; 05-06-2007 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 AM

160 posts, read 564,705 times
Default One cautionary note

YankeeFan,
While you will have plenty of company in your baseball preferences up in Plattsburgh, be warned that Red Sox nation spills over the borders, and there are many Manny men, Papi pals and Schilling shills. So be prepared.
I'd say the fan ratio is about 60-40 Yanks-Red Sox.
Also, trust everything Plattsburgher says!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York