Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Houston is the same way ... no one is outside!! I used to hate a/c but now it's required. I can't wait to get back to NY.

One thing I DO find down here that I like is that people like to make friends with other people ..... in NY people are set in their ways and don't like to make new friends so much. That made me a little sad.
Funny how so many leave NY for the south, complaining about being trapped in your homes for months due to cold and then they are, in turn, trapped in thier homes due to the heat/humidity for months....sorry, it's a trade off for me: too cold, too hot, both are uncomfortable although I can handle the cold far easier than the heat......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Funny how so many leave NY for the south, complaining about being trapped in your homes for months due to cold and then they are, in turn, trapped in thier homes due to the heat/humidity for months....sorry, it's a trade off for me: too cold, too hot, both are uncomfortable although I can handle the cold far easier than the heat......
Actually since I don't like "warm" weather at all, I am now trapped inside 12 months of the year, instead of the 3 months in NY. I did go out when it was 8 degrees outside. I don't go out when it is 80 or above. Hate it. That is ALL YEAR in Florida.

No, we didn't move here FOR the weather.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM

31 posts, read 89,259 times
want some cheese with that WINE.......
there are nice people and *******s in EVERY state in this country. hell in the entire world.
if you dont like it here, MOVE...that simple. but give this place a chance before you judge it. Ive lived here my entire life, 29 years and Ive met some nice people and some *******s. it all depends on what you do, where you live, etc

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default It a very transient state

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedmouse78 View Post
want some cheese with that WINE.......
there are nice people and *******s in EVERY state in this country. hell in the entire world.
if you dont like it here, MOVE...that simple. but give this place a chance before you judge it. Ive lived here my entire life, 29 years and Ive met some nice people and some *******s. it all depends on what you do, where you live, etc
people come, people go. There is no sense of community. People don't put down roots because they know they are leaving.

I live in a development. The majority of people here are snowbirds, or retirees. Both of the my next door neighbords come here 3 months out of the year. I barely know their names. This development is a ghost town the majority of the year.

We also own a condo where we first lived and are still friendly with a man who lives there. He is getting married next year and is moving back to Michigan or maybe even to Pa. where his wife is from. He has said he doesn't want to raise his kids in Florida.

Work? Well, I work for the school district. Because of the property tax cut and subsequent cuts to school budget, I was "bumped" from my job because I only had a year seniority with the district. Somebody who had worked there for 5 years, took my job. I was fortunate to be "involuntarily transferred" to another school, but at a lower classification with less pay, and much farther away. So, everybody I met there, I will not be seeing. It will probably happen again next year too, since more tax cuts are coming with no way to pay for them except to cut more money from the schools. I might not even have ANY job next time around.

Then, there is the weather, which I hate, but having lived here before, I KNEW I would hate. My husband got a JOB here in Florida, having been out of work for over a year. That's the only reason we are in Florida. I didn't want to come here at all. My husband now says he wishes a job had opened up ANYWHERE ELSE in the country, BUT Florida. I didn't want to say to him, "I told you so".

Just playing a waiting game, and hibernating in all this heat, until retirement comes and we can go back HOME.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM

55 posts, read 241,609 times
I've also never understood why the South thinks it "lost" the Civil War when most of the people down there are working in jobs that used to be up north. Folks -- you won! Now the people in the South are the mainstream fatcats!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfour01 View Post
I've also never understood why the South thinks it "lost" the Civil War when most of the people down there are working in jobs that used to be up north. Folks -- you won! Now the people in the South are the mainstream fatcats!
That works except most of the people working those jobs are fromt he north so all they have done is shifted their location....

Old 09-02-2008, 01:19 AM

4 posts, read 12,546 times
Default Know how you feel....

I know how you feel. My wife and I moved from Upstate NY down to West Virginia. We Lived there for two years. We both absolutely HATED it. We knew we were making a mistake when we drove through Syracuse on our way through. But it was already to late at that point. We watched the lights of the city wiz by us in the early morning darkness, tears in our eyes. We were leaving everything we knew. The place we went on our first date, the place I proposed to her, where we first kissed. We spent the entire two years in WV, missing home and Working our butts off to get the money to go back home. Last December, my wife and I finally got to move back home to NY. It feels so incredibly good to be home and I can honestly say, I am never leaving this area again.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
LofaroNYG: I am curious. What were the differences in your experiences in WV compared to NY?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:38 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LofaroNYG View Post
I know how you feel. My wife and I moved from Upstate NY down to West Virginia. We Lived there for two years. We both absolutely HATED it. We knew we were making a mistake when we drove through Syracuse on our way through. But it was already to late at that point. We watched the lights of the city wiz by us in the early morning darkness, tears in our eyes. We were leaving everything we knew. The place we went on our first date, the place I proposed to her, where we first kissed. We spent the entire two years in WV, missing home and Working our butts off to get the money to go back home. Last December, my wife and I finally got to move back home to NY. It feels so incredibly good to be home and I can honestly say, I am never leaving this area again.
oh! beautiful story! sometimes we have to learn the hard way, I guess. I have learned many many things since I moved from the North to the South. And someone posted that we should just leave if we don't like it ... that is often easier said than done .... for example I am in Tx b/c my husband wants to be here, so I am doing this for him. sigh!!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:53 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times
both ny and the south are distant but yet very similar...

they are all colonies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York