Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 PM

205 posts, read 693,058 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband has been offered a job running a company located in Saddle River, NJ. I haven't totally ruled out NJ towns close to his office, but I spent 10 years living in NJ (Morris County) and did not really enjoy it so I am leaning toward living in NY as opposed to NJ.

Can anyone recommend some towns to check out in Rockland county that are family-friendly, have good public schools, access to shopping and might be somewhat welcoming to people who have lived in Georgia for 16 years? We are not Italian or Jewish (waspy looking Catholics), so while I like diversity, I would prefer a town where we would not be strongly in the minority.

I know cost of living is a lot more up there, but what income level would you think a family of 4 (we have 2 daughters age 5 & 6) would need to have at a nice house (at least 4br w/ a basement) and a nice standard of living?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM

197 posts, read 636,360 times
Ok Ill give you the run down on Rockland Neighborhoods- Villages- Towns

Stay out of anything in Ramapo besides Suffern, all hasidics, blacks or mexicans, Hasi's have control over the town of Ramapo they have the Town supervisor hanging on a string. Dont look anywhere in Ramapo besides Suffern.

Clarkstown- Congers is good, I would stay away from New City very rich jewish people, stuck up for the most part. Theres also a lot of drug use in Clarkstown schools, more so than others.

Nyack- Yuppies, lots of homosexuals, Blacks very urban

Orangetown- Nice, check out Pearl River, nice Irish community. Cant go wrong in Orangetown high taxes though.

Stony Point- Very small town feel, probably the only place in Rockland a WASP wouldnt feel out of place, large irish community. Tight knit, not much shopping but Haverstraw is right down the road. However, Stony Point is North Rockland schools which are not terrible but its 50% white 50% minority

Haverstraw- The village is mostly Hispanic, the surrounding town has some nice area's and some bad area's, stay out of the Village of Pomona as they use Ramapo schools- worst schools in Rockland.

Also always check the school districts, you can see school district maps at Rockland County web site. Some parts of Clarkstown, and Town of Haverstraw use East Ramapo schools.

Id say stony Point is probably your best bet price wise, and probably a Georgian would fit in best there.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I'd say the Nyacks...Keep in mind that West Nyack is in the Clarkstown SD and I believe the rest are in the Nyack SD. Good SD, but not the best. Very diverse and the diversity ranges depending on which community you are in. Nyack is very walkable, with some nightlife and shopping. Upper Nyack is less "diverse" than the other Nyacks in the Nyack SD and is north of Nyack. Central Nyack is just west of NYack and is pluralistically more Black than anything else(around 40%), but is still diverse. That community is split between Clarkstown SD and Nyack SD. You have South Nyack as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Suffern and Nanuet might be other areas to look into as well. Each of those communities have good schools as well.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:18 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,899 times
Live where you work...for if you work in New Jersey and live in New York...you will be paying taxes in both states...as in my case...my wife works in New Jersey and I in New York...so for the privilage of her being allowed to work in New Jersey...we have to pay a tax on my income as well as her's to New Jersey...and the way both states are going...the amount we pay will only increase...

Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 AM

205 posts, read 693,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Live where you work...for if you work in New Jersey and live in New York...you will be paying taxes in both states...as in my case...my wife works in New Jersey and I in New York...so for the privilage of her being allowed to work in New Jersey...we have to pay a tax on my income as well as her's to New Jersey...and the way both states are going...the amount we pay will only increase...
I don't really understand this. Don't a lot of people who live in northern NJ work in NYC? What is the difference?

If there were really some kind of tax benefit living in the same state that you work, why do some many people choose to commute from CT and NJ to NY?

I will qualify my comment by saying that we had an accountant do our taxes this year, so I am not well versed on tax policies, but being advised not to live in NY because of NJ income tax has me confused.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,899 times
It's called a commuter tax...and I only posted it so that you would be aware of the addional taxes levied on those that work in New Jersey and live in New York...and like I said...I do not work in New Jersey...but for the alleged privilege of allowing my wife to work in New Jersey...my income is added to my wife's when New Jersey determines how much we owe...Additionally...New Jersey NEVER takes enough taxes out for New York and as a result...we mail additional taxes into both states...

You might want to consider Mahway or Ramsey...both in New Jersey...but decide for yourself...for you can always find the necessary tax forms on line for both states...and you can fill them out to determine what you tax liability will be...good luck

Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM

197 posts, read 636,360 times
You may want to check out Orange County area's also, stay out of Monroe- Woodbury as they have big tax burden at 35k and growing , warwick, washingtonville, chester are all in decent communiting time, better prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
It's called a commuter tax...and I only posted it so that you would be aware of the addional taxes levied on those that work in New Jersey and live in New York...and like I said...I do not work in New Jersey...but for the alleged privilege of allowing my wife to work in New Jersey...my income is added to my wife's when New Jersey determines how much we owe...Additionally...New Jersey NEVER takes enough taxes out for New York and as a result...we mail additional taxes into both states...

You might want to consider Mahway or Ramsey...both in New Jersey...but decide for yourself...for you can always find the necessary tax forms on line for both states...and you can fill them out to determine what you tax liability will be...good luck
So is all of your Earner Income in New York State Taxed at the same rate for NJ State Tax as anyone's income who lives and works in NJ??? Your personal income that you earner in NY??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York