Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster View Post
Yeah, Elmira does have 2 maximum security prisons.
True and there are other facilities not too far away. With that said, Elmira isn't too bad considering that fact. They get some incidents, but it is far from being a war zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 PM

43 posts, read 109,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissettbd View Post
I grew up in Endicott 40 years ago when it was a nice place to live. That was when IBM was still in town. When EJ and later IBM were going strong the southern tier was an excellent place to live, albeit a little cold and cloudy. Mayor Bloomberg did a number on Endicott by giving every homeless derelict a free one way bus ticket to upstate New York. While the City herald Bloomberg a genius between his busing program and the outsourcing of EJ and IBM jobs the area degenerated quickly. The endicott cops are pushovers compared to NYC cops and are ill equipped to deal with the scum they have inherited. The downtown area (Washington Avenue) is no longer safe to walk in at night. There have been numerous muggings, stabbings, and shootings downtown. The north side is a little better than the downtown area. Endwell is a better town to live in.
I disagree about Endicott cops. Yeah Washington Ave has REALLY changed, between the downtown quarterback, increased gang activity and the Endicott Inn, I def wouldnt go down there at night. But that neighborhood is by far the worst, not even a mile away there are some beautiful neighborhoods farther southeast in the village.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCities View Post
I disagree about Endicott cops. Yeah Washington Ave has REALLY changed, between the downtown quarterback, increased gang activity and the Endicott Inn, I def wouldnt go down there at night. But that neighborhood is by far the worst, not even a mile away there are some beautiful neighborhoods farther southeast in the village.
I was going to say....Endicott might have 1 little pocket of high crime and that is it.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM

43 posts, read 109,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissettbd View Post
How large is the dangerous area in downtown Endicott? If one were to draw a rectangular box around the bad area, what streets compose the outsides of the box? Is the second run movie theater downtown safe to go at night? Is the downtown library in an OK area? How about the Oaks Inn in Little Italy? Is Hill Ave on the North Side past Pine Street (Hill & Ethel) in an OK area? It has been awhile since I have been in my old hometown and I am just curious. Endicott was such a nice town at one time, its too bad things have changed. Thanks.
I think you could for sure go to cinema saver(the one on madison) at night. Little Italy is nice some domestics and drunks up there but nothing bad. The bad area I would say is from Jackson Ave to Vestal ave, with Main St and North St as the north south borders. as the worst neighborhood where 95% of the violent crime happens. Then from Vestal Ave to Liberty ave with main and north as borders Is a neighborhood that's got a lot of poverty but nothing to dangerous. Washington Ave is def the worst, already got numerous stabbings, shootings and robberies in the last few months, past 8 p.m there are some real questionable individuals and drugs. So most of all the crime happens on the avenue and the criminals that commit them usually live in the apartments in the are of jackson to vestal ave.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:12 PM

22 posts, read 32,362 times
I grew up in Endicott and recently went back for a few months for a visit and possibly move back. I got the hell out.
Washington Ave resembled Harlem, ghetto thugs roaming everywhere, even in Union. I guess this is a Democrat's dream of "diversity". 10 years ago there were only a few bad parts, now it's everywhere. Sad to see my hometown become a cesspool welfare ghetto. Even the once safe North side is filled with these thugs.

Only thing that will save it now is a flood 10x bigger than 2011.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 PM

Endicott, NY Population and Races - USA.com™

Census Tract 013500 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 013600-4 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 013600-3 in Broome County, New York

Yup, looks like Harlem.......Don't feed it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2014 at 12:00 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup, looks like Harlem.......Don't feed it.
That data is 4 years old, genius. A lot has changed, saw it with my own eyes.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseToLoveNY View Post
That data is 4 years old, genius. A lot has changed, saw it with my own eyes.
I doubt that the area has changed THAT much and I was actually down that way a couple times within the last couple of years. I didn't see demographics that resembled "Harlem", which isn't even mostly Black anymore. I guess mind sets can be 40 years old in relation to actual data. Endicott is maybe 10% Black at best.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 AM

87 posts, read 372,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseToLoveNY View Post
I grew up in Endicott and recently went back for a few months for a visit and possibly move back. I got the hell out.
Washington Ave resembled Harlem, ghetto thugs roaming everywhere, even in Union. I guess this is a Democrat's dream of "diversity". 10 years ago there were only a few bad parts, now it's everywhere. Sad to see my hometown become a cesspool welfare ghetto. Even the once safe North side is filled with these thugs.

Only thing that will save it now is a flood 10x bigger than 2011.
Nope. I'm guessing you only see the people you want to see walking around.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNY View Post
Nope. I'm guessing you only see the people you want to see walking around.
Oh I did see some trashy white women, yelling at their baby daddies. Happy now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York