Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:07 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

I remember just a few years ago everybody was writing off Nissan. Judging by what you see on the road, it seems like they have turned things around. I see just as many Rogues as RAV4s. Altimas are everywhere, perhaps as many as Camrys. I see at least half dozen Maximas everyday even though it is said to depreciate like crazy. Apparently, the buyers missed all the CVT bashing thread here.

ps

Let's see how long this thread survives before it's banished to the "brand" corner to suffer a slow death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
I wouldn't say that there are as many Nissans as Toyotas (there are a TON of RAV4s out there), but Nissan is no longer something you see once a week or so. I would definitely agree that I see more of them now than Kia, whereas a few years ago I saw many more Kias than Nissans. If they've turned the corner overall, then that's great news overall.

The more competitive brands that are out there, the better the deal is for us drivers. When Toyota and Honda are the only reliable game in town, they price accordingly. As there are more reliable competitors, they have to price competitively, too.

(It doesn't hurt that Nissan is one of the few manufacturers that make the kind of van we'll likely next buy, either.)

Old 07-05-2018, 08:41 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Look at their offers though, 0%APR on many models. Nissans are cheaper than Toyota’s and the company is desperate to move vehicles since they know they can’t compete with Toyo and the rest of the Asian brands so they have great incentives.

That doesn’t mean they’re actually better cars than other brands. I still find Nissans being cheap feeling vehicles. The quality isn’t there. There ride quality and drivetrain are unrefined.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Glad to see that your eyeball test passes the muster for calling a company a success or not. Very objective thread!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nd-rogue-slump

Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Glad to see that your eyeball test passes the muster for calling a company a success or not. Very objective thread!

Tough to tell how well a car model sells in a specific area without a detailed sales break down by state.

I am sort of surprised by this. At least in my area (suburban Pittsburgh), the Rogue seems to sell well. Maxima not so much. Maybe the Rogue isn't selling in California anymore for example.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Infiniti's are everywhere here where I live. Can't sit in traffic without seeing a Q50 next to me.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
The Altima is being replaced this fall. The Sentra should be replaced soon. The reviews are pretty good for the Nissan Kicks. It seems to be competing with the Kia Soul, a FWD crossover subcompact. While low on power, it’s light weight and low price makes up for the power. Having the Maxima alongside the Altima seems redundant. Now they’re partnered with Mitsubishi and eventually Nissan vehicles’ platforms will be used on Mitsubishi vehicles. Not sure this would benefit either company.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:35 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The Altima is being replaced this fall. The Sentra should be replaced soon. The reviews are pretty good for the Nissan Kicks. It seems to be competing with the Kia Soul, a FWD crossover subcompact. While low on power, it’s light weight and low price makes up for the power. Having the Maxima alongside the Altima seems redundant. Now they’re partnered with Mitsubishi and eventually Nissan vehicles’ platforms will be used on Mitsubishi vehicles. Not sure this would benefit either company.
They seem to use the Maxima as a precursor to the following mode year Altima.

As for the Mitsubishi/Nissan platform sharing, I agree it’s a bit redundant, but if they can distinguish the cars enough they could point Mitsubishi at the bad credit low income basic transportation and rental car market and point Nissan at the Honda/Toyota/Hyundai market.

A lot of people also don’t realize that Nissan/Renault is fourth largest car manufacturer in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Look at their offers though, 0%APR on many models. Nissans are cheaper than Toyota’s and the company is desperate to move vehicles since they know they can’t compete with Toyo and the rest of the Asian brands so they have great incentives.

That doesn’t mean they’re actually better cars than other brands. I still find Nissans being cheap feeling vehicles. The quality isn’t there. There ride quality and drivetrain are unrefined.
Nissans tack has always been cheaper faster more raw Toyota.

The cars are generally fine and reliable (first gen CVTs notwithstanding). I’ve owned several.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post

From the same article that you didn't read to the end,

" Toyota Motor Corp.’s Camry and Honda Motor Co.’s Accord, which often vie for the title of best-selling U.S. sedan, declined 5 percent and 19 percent, respectively."

Old 07-05-2018, 10:41 AM

383 posts, read 397,431 times
All my Honda's in the past have run well over 300k miles with essentially no problems (not even a clutch replacement), my Toyota's have been pretty good in the 250k range with a few minor issues.

In 08 I purchased a Nissan Frontier NISMO pickup and within less than 100k miles I needed to replace a failed emission solenoid, both rear axle seals, both front wheel bearings, a clutch and just last week the radiator. In order to replace the spark plugs on the passenger's side I needed to remove part of the intake manifold (extremely poor design). Needless to say, IMO they have not turned around and this will be my last Nissan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti