Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 AM

239 posts, read 895,433 times

Advertisements

I wish the older relatives in my extended family used Facebook or at a minium had an email address, but few do. Actually I counted 14 extended family relatives and only two have a face book account and only 4 have a personal use email.

Do you find that IN GENERAL social networking is for younger people and those over 50 years old even avoid using email to communicate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times
Over 50? More like over 65. Most 50-somethings, even a lot of early 60s--I know use the computer, some, fb.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 AM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
I just signed up my 75 YO mother recently to keep track of family. She was missing videos & pics. She's actually found a few of her old high school buddies.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
If they have a computer why not offer to help them set it up? I think for many of the older generation they just don't know how to do a lot of the things on a computer.

I have lots of friends over 60 who are on FB. I actually got my old boss to sign up and he is 75. He doesn't know how to post a pic but he likes to keep up with folks from where he use to work.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,424,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Over 50? More like over 65. Most 50-somethings, even a lot of early 60s--I know use the computer, some, fb.
I would totally agree with this, with regard to email.

Facebook is another matter. I think a lot of 50-plus people are concerned about security, especially when they hear negative stories about social networking on the news. Many of my friends who work as teachers or support staff want no parts of Facebook..."just in case".

Then there's another group of Facebook users who got tired of the games, non-stop bragging, and endless posts about "nothing", who decided their time was better spent elsewhere and simply closed down their accounts.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
I am 42 and use email on a daily basis but I simply do not see the point of social network sites. I have no desire to ever join Facebook or Twitter. I find snail mail, email and phone calls as well as meeting in the flesh perfectly satisfactory in terms of keeping in touch.

I have gone on facebook out of curiosity via a friend's page and could not believe the inanity and superficiality of it all. I am obviously way too intellectually dim to even comprehend the appeal of such websites. I shall resist it until my dying breath. To me it is the personal equivalent of reality TV show turning us all into voyeurs and self obsessed narcissists/exhibitionists who need constant reassurance as to how many "friends" they have. What I have seen of it reeks of desperation and the delusion that others should care about one's life.

Facebook to me is the anti-thesis of privacy and I value mine far too much to enter that world. Call me a grumpy old sod but I don't need 24 hour access to humanity 7/7 365 days a year.

Then again I am not really the sociable type...

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
I have many friends/relatives that use email and are over 50. In fact, we even keep in touch on messenger on our phones as well. Messenger is different than just text, for those who dont know what it is.
My family and friends though, dont know I do the CD forum though.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post

Then there's another group of Facebook users who got tired of the games, non-stop bragging, and endless posts about "nothing", who decided their time was better spent elsewhere and simply closed down their accounts.
Amen to that. I'm 60 and am very computer literate but I dislike Facebook for many reasons. I recently put all my Facebook "friends" to a personal test. If I didn't talk to them on the phone, email them or see them socially on a regular basis, they were "unfriended". I use it mainly to see pictures of my family. Earlier this year I had some major surgery. I told my family and real friends but was otherwise private about it. It then horrified me when a dear niece made a comment about my recovery on Facebook which lead to some "friends" asking me about it. If I had wanted them to know I would have told them. But my niece unintentionally "outed" me, so that's when I decided to severely limit who I was "friends" with. So far, it has been a good decision for me. Facebook is a type of communication that fosters false intimacy and celebrates the mundane. Not to mention the security and privacy issues. It's not for me except in a very limited way.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM

968 posts, read 2,625,648 times
my mom is 65 and she got mad cause someone tagged her as a fruit. she was all "take my profile down cause i am NOT A WATERMELON!"

i laughed and untagged her. she was happy.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
My mother and some of her friends use it. My aunt has an account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships