Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
The trouble with Facebook is it becomes a friends collecting business. Back when I was looking for a job the recruiters told me they looked me up on the Internet and looked at my Facebook account to see how many friends I had. I suspect many recruiters and hiring managers will look up serious finalists for jobs but few will be so honest and tell the applicant. Because I only had 35 friends they thought I was a social outcast. Most of my so called friends on Facebook were younger and had 300-500 friends. I am sure the recuiters will love them. (I dumped my Facebook Account when I was told I did not have enough friends!)
I do agree with your observation regarding "friend collecting". I can't tell you how many friend requests I have received from people I didn't even know...the only thing we had in common was that my friend was also their friend.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a recruiter penalizing someone for not having enough Facebook friends. Usually, they check Facebook and MySpace for inappropriate posts and pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
Geez! I am part of that over 50 crowd and I do email and facebook and so does everybody else I know. I have a My Space page, a photobucket account and accounts for a lot of stuff all over the internet. I order from Amazon and a lot of other online places..

I only have about 30 some friends on facebook.. I am mostly there to connect with my family that are scattered all over the USA and other parts of the world.. I am NOT a friend collector and don't want to be..

Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I am 51, I am active on here and on FB.

Most people I know that are about my age likewise are on-line.

Though my parents are not.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM

838 posts, read 1,877,390 times
I love facebook (I'm 56) ... I hang out with good people in person, and I only hang out with good people on facebook ... I stay in touch with a good friend in Alaska ... and one in Okla ... classmates & relatives all over ... it is what you make of it

p.s. my mom and two uncles also use it ... they're 78+

Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
LOL!! I'm over 50, use both email and Facebook. No Twitter though, I did have an account but could not see the point of it.

Just did a quick survey of my 100 friends on Facebook, about half are over the age of 50, with some being over 65. Think about the oldest is 75, the mother of a friend who's my age.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,974 times
I'm 57 and I use e-mail a lot. I'm on FB too but not that often and I don't post every single thing I do all day every day like the younger set does. My daughter (21) posts everything she does or thinks of doing. It's rediculous after a while

Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,140 times
No I don't need the following.

Do you know what your Aunt said to me? I took her off my friends list. You should take her off too.

What do you mean you friended Uncle Billy Bob? No one talks to him. You're out of my will.

Yes, I know its 1 AM but this is your Mother speaking. Why is it that everyone in the family has updated their status when you have not done so in the past 2 days? Your Grand MaMa is beside herself. Oh you're going to put her in the hospital.

You unfriended your cousin Mervin? Look I know he's had some rough times lately, but he's a dear sweet boy and he just expressing himself. No I see nothing wrong with him shooting an AK-47 from the roof top. Wait until I tell your Mother. You are off our friends list and I'm notifying everyone in the family.

Hi, its me, your Aunt Bessie. I found this cute picture of you naked when you were 3. I posted it on facebook for the family to see. We can include this picture in your wedding video.

Hi its me, YOUR MOTHER!!!! I HAVE NOT SEEN A PIC OF MY GRANDKIDS IN 2 DAYS!!!! EITHER POST THEM NOW OR YOUR OUT OF THE WILL. YOU ARE CAUSING YOUR FATHER AND I MULTIPLE HEART ATTACKS.

Hi, its me your 2nd cousin Dooley. I saw your status on facebook that you're going away for 2 weeks. Mind if I house sit for you until things quiet down? I know we haven't spoken in years, but your Mother gave me your facebook page. Let me know as soon as possible, uh oh shoot, its the fuzz. Gotta go.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM

838 posts, read 1,877,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
No I don't need the following.

Do you know what your Aunt said to me? I took her off my friends list. You should take her off too.

What do you mean you friended Uncle Billy Bob? No one talks to him. You're out of my will.

Yes, I know its 1 AM but this is your Mother speaking. Why is it that everyone in the family has updated their status when you have not done so in the past 2 days? Your Grand MaMa is beside herself. Oh you're going to put her in the hospital.

You unfriended your cousin Mervin? Look I know he's had some rough times lately, but he's a dear sweet boy and he just expressing himself. No I see nothing wrong with him shooting an AK-47 from the roof top. Wait until I tell your Mother. You are off our friends list and I'm notifying everyone in the family.

Hi, its me, your Aunt Bessie. I found this cute picture of you naked when you were 3. I posted it on facebook for the family to see. We can include this picture in your wedding video.

Hi its me, YOUR MOTHER!!!! I HAVE NOT SEEN A PIC OF MY GRANDKIDS IN 2 DAYS!!!! EITHER POST THEM NOW OR YOUR OUT OF THE WILL. YOU ARE CAUSING YOUR FATHER AND I MULTIPLE HEART ATTACKS.

Hi, its me your 2nd cousin Dooley. I saw your status on facebook that you're going away for 2 weeks. Mind if I house sit for you until things quiet down? I know we haven't spoken in years, but your Mother gave me your facebook page. Let me know as soon as possible, uh oh shoot, its the fuzz. Gotta go.
Wow ..... I'm glad my family's nothing like yours

Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Wow ..... I'm glad my family's nothing like yours
LOL. They're not that bad, they're pretty good. But I'm sure something like that would happen.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I would totally agree with this, with regard to email.
Facebook is another matter. I think a lot of 50-plus people are concerned about security, especially when they hear negative stories about social networking on the news. Many of my friends who work as teachers or support staff want no parts of Facebook..."just in case".

Then there's another group of Facebook users who got tired of the games, non-stop bragging, and endless posts about "nothing", who decided their time was better spent elsewhere and simply closed down their accounts.
LibraGirl has stated exactly why I have no use for Facebook. I value my privacy and security and frankly I couldn't care less what my friends are doing at any given moment. I think "friending" just for the sake of adding numbers to a tally is absurd. But the real objection I have is the entire concept of laying bare one's private life for the voyeuristic curiosity of anyone else. I find it very ironic that in this day and age of the proliferation of privacy statements popping up at every turn, that so many people think nothing of sharing the most mundane or even worse, intimate, details of their daily lives with total strangers.

Email is something else entirely - I use it all the time both at my job and in my private life. I have texting capability on my iPhone but seldom use it. I consider myself to be fairly technologically savvy but I am also very selective about how I use the various options available to me. And FYI, I am well into my 60s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships