Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times

Advertisements

Has anybody here in their life ever have just ONE friend they could count on, or at least thought you could? They end up becoming a dick and then the "friendship" ends and he ends up living in your brain and tearing you up until the next time you make a new friend, which could take years.

I think it's better to have more than 1 friend, so then at least if one them becomes a freakin' jerk who won't cooperate, at least you have other friends to go to.

What I described in the first paragraph happened, or is happening, to me. Years ago, I had a friendship with someone that lasted just 2 months. Took over my brain until about 2 years ago I met someone else and he also became another jerkface and he's going to invade my brain until the next time I make new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Are you making friends until "they don't cooperate" which means they don't agree with you or do what you want them to... then they are cast off? Are you using people?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
The key is to develop enough skill to be independent. Then you can relax and not need to need your friends.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The key is to develop enough skill to be independent. Then you can relax and not need to need your friends.
This is the approach I have taken. I have one good friend near me(in a semi-new area) and if she is busy I get busy doing something on my own and I am fine with that.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
This is the approach I have taken. I have one good friend near me(in a semi-new area) and if she is busy I get busy doing something on my own and I am fine with that.
What did you do before then or have you always been the independent type?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
I've never relied on friends because most people are inherently unreliable. I trust my mother and my husband and no one else. It's served me well.

If you have ONE truly good friend in your life, consider yourself lucky.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,041 times
it takes a long time to know someones character. I dont think you knew the people you made friends with long enough to actually trust them

Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Before this, I would put myself out there to make friends only to not have the friendship reciprocated. It was always me making the call, the lunch date, etc and it gets old. Yes, I have always been independent. I usually can't rely on "friends", and luckily I have a great husband as a best friend.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses61 View Post
i've never relied on friends because most people are inherently unreliable. I trust my mother and my husband and no one else. It's served me well.

If you have one truly good friend in your life, consider yourself lucky.
exactly!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Before this, I would put myself out there to make friends only to not have the friendship reciprocated. It was always me making the call, the lunch date, etc and it gets old. Yes, I have always been independent. I usually can't rely on "friends", and luckily I have a great husband as a best friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Originally Posted by MissLucky
Someone did the same thing to me yesterday.. Actually two people did the same thing to me yesterday . One promised to bring her daughter so she could play with my son but it never happened. She called to apologize for this however so I'll giver her a break. The other promised to come over for dinner, then as we got close to the agreed time (like 20 mins before) they started texting casual things like "hey, how's your day going?" Uhmm, how's my day going?? I have spent the last couple of hours cooking for us, that's how. So then here comes the "I'm sorry I can't make it tonight" I text back saying that's fine but couldn't they have just told me earlier so I wouldn't have had to put all the effort I did? No response. Decided to call their cellphone, no response. So I'm super mad at this point, thinking of doing all the unthinkable things like unfriending them on Facebook and all, lol!

We need a new circle of friends, I guess..

To Poletop, I quoted this from another thread which had been my experience in the friend department which is why I am perfectly happy w/one reliable friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships