Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times

Advertisements

It seems you only have two options:

1. Ride it out and deal the best you can until you can leave for college. You can't change your parents and you can't force them to deal with this. You also most likely can't change your brother.

2. Take your brother "out behind the woodshed" and make him understand that your stuff is off limits. Obviously that is an extreme reaction, but kind of deserving. Of course, that will most likely result in a lot of fallout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

2. Take your brother "out behind the woodshed" and make him understand that your stuff is off limits. Obviously that is an extreme reaction, but kind of deserving. Of course, that will most likely result in a lot of fallout.
My "good" brother did that to my "bad" brother. Stopped the bad one from messing/stealing from him, but not the rest of the family. But if you ever get the chance to do so... do so.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

1. Ride it out and deal the best you can until you can leave for college. You can't change your parents and you can't force them to deal with this. You also most likely can't change your brother.

An old fashioned a$$ whoopin sometimes fits the bill.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
You said your family is well-off. Ask to go to boarding school.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
good idea.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicicicico View Post
I feel like its time for me to take matters into my own hands. However whenever i threaten to call the cops my parents act like im just a whiner--"but the phone down, your not gunna call the cops".
Why do you care what they say to you? They clearly don't care about your stuff. You care about theirs, why? Yah because you are a kid, and by rights your parents are SUPPOSED to actually give a **** about you.

Quote:
p.s.
I dont really know the laws on thievery. When he steals from me there is know way i can be certain it's him and i feel like this wouldnt hold up in court or w/e.

Thanks!
You have absolutely no idea one way or the other if you even have ownership stake to some of this stuff as a minor, depending on how you got it... But the only way you are going to find out is call the police. Maybe it will put a fire under your pathetic parents butts.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicicicico View Post

If anyone has anything else to add please do!
Do you have a job? Any money? Could you make yourself a little computer hidey hole at a self storage facility? Wear your key on a chain around your neck? Or a room in your friend's house?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 45,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I don't know it it would amount to anything by calling the police to say he stole from any of you, BUT.... if he is smoking pot at home, call the police then. And tell your parents, "I told you I would."

As for your dad... why in hell won't he make your brother get a job? To hell with college, he most likely won't make it anyway.

Sorry your parents are slackers.

Show them this thread.
My dad tried to tell my brother to get a job. He says he is trying to get a job, but that was three months ago. Every time he asks about it my brother says he is diligently working on getting one. Making phone calls etc.

However, he is not doing anything.

And thanks for the advice. I think i will show this to my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sorry you're going through this, cicicicico. It must be tremendously frustrating for you.

Unfortunately, trying to make your parents deal with him differently, or more to your liking, is an exercise in futility. They are going to do what they're going to do, for whatever reasons they have to do it, and you aren't going to be able to get them to change their approach to him, no matter how wrong and obvious it all seems to you.

If you have college payed for, then I would focus on that, on getting your grades and doing what you need to do. It may seem like a long way off, but it isn't really, and soon you'll be out of there - and you can let them get on with their dysfunctional selves.

If you can find a less chaotic household to live in while you finish up high school, that would be one alternative. Otherwise, do whatever you can to keep your stuff safe and away from your brother. There's not much you can do but be proud in the knowledge that you have not gone down the same path, that you have a bright future, and that you'll be able to go on to live a life of purpose and value.

Try not to let the actions of the rest of your family consume you. Focus on yourself, feel sorry for them, not bitter - and go make your mark in the world. Good luck to you, kid.
Maybe your right. Living somewhere else is out of the question.

Also, try to think of yourself in my shoes. I work long shifts at a restaurant to make money then he steels my things. Its pretty easy to ignore someone calling you names, but when they do real things to abuse you its pretty hard to deal with.

Thanks again for the replies.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 45,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
This is a very good idea. Ill definitely ask them about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why do you care what they say to you? They clearly don't care about your stuff. You care about theirs, why? Yah because you are a kid, and by rights your parents are SUPPOSED to actually give a **** about you.
I guess your right. I told my mom directly today, "the next time I find him steeling my money or smoking pot i will call the cops."

She replied with threatning consequences if i do because "i have to obey the rules of the house".

I just dont give a rats ass about them anymore. Ive been lobbying to get him thrown out for months now and my voice has not been heard. They need a wake up call already.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
I like the bank account idea but as far as your things go, unless you can keep them locked up somewhere you don't have a chance. If your parents are well off, is there some reason they cannot afford a house that would provide you and your brother each a bedroom so you could lock yours? What about a closet in the hall that you could have a lock and key just for your own things?

It sounds like your parents are just hoping the problems will one day, just by way of miracle, correct themselves.

My brother was/is a liar, thief, broke things, total ass and he ended up living with mommy the enabler into his late 20's until he found a woman (current wife) on the internet to pay his bills for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships