Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do other people's opinions of your life choices really matter to you?
0% 9 23.68%
10% 18 47.37%
25% 5 13.16%
50% 4 10.53%
75% 2 5.26%
95% 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,686,515 times

Advertisements

It depends on the person. The more I like you and respect you, the more I will want your approval. The less I like you and respect you, the less I'll want your approval. Depending on the person, how I come off can range from completely disconnected, cold and aloof to neurotically clingy, needy and pleasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM

513 posts, read 899,029 times
other than my wife, what someone thinks of me is inconsequential.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,565,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
How much weight do other people's opinions on your life and lifestyle choices carry? For example: You are a women and your female friend you grew up with is a heroin addict. She was known by everyone as the neighborhood 'junkie hooker.' You two are walking down the street together, people know who she -- how much do you care what they are saying about you? Another example: You are a straight, single man & one of your coworkers who is male & gay invites you out for drinks after work to discuss 'business.' You're seen in a bar having drinks with him by some of your family members and other friends who know he is gay.....do you care?

Everyone likes to say "Oh I don't give a crap what people think about me," but how true is this . Do you beleive "guilty by association" or "birds of a feather flock together" is accurate? Thanks.
I used to think that the actions of those I spent time with didn't matter. As long as I wasn't doing what they were doing and I knew who I was, so phooey on what anyone else had to say. That was back when I wanted to be accepting of everyone because, in my mind, it would seem like I was judgmental and being judgmental was wrong, wrong, wrong. Then I grew up. I judge and I have no problem owning that.

I will never hang out with a heroin addict. I would expect people to think poorly of me if I did. I would think poorly of myself.

On your second example, I wouldn't care. Being gay is not in the same universe as being a drug addict. Being gay is not a bad thing. I know it's tougher for guys than gals, but a secure man would know that being gay doesn't mean they all want him. He would have nothing to prove or defend.

Yes, it matters to me, to some degree. It all depends on the situation and who is involved.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,196,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I said 10% because the fact that some busybodies are so devoid of a life that they would even have an opinion about me in the first place matters enough to irritate me.

And then I move on.
I was going to say 0% but then I couldn't ignore this nagging feeling that was not completely true. You said it for me.

OP, the people around can have opinions about my choices and then they can do something about it for themselves after that. That being said, I wouldn't hang out with a drug addict.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM

10,180 posts, read 20,810,169 times
I wouldn't say it doesn't matter to me at all. When it comes to work or my children it's very important what people think of me and how I am perceived. That's why there aren't any drunken half-naked pics of me on my FB page, it's why I would never get sloppy drunk in front of my kids, or why I don't talk about some of my crazy friends or wilder days down in NY while I'm at work around casual acquaintances. I need my job and I don't need someone forming a false or negative opinion of me because of an indiscreet action or word on my part.

That doesn't mean I compromise who I am. I just make some prudent adjustments where necessary.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 12-22-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,505,885 times
Other than on my job performance evaluations and my being a good example to my grandkids, it matters not 1 iota what people may think of me. And since I'm a Captain, not too many folks are going to evaluate me at work.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,025,843 times
Apparently more than I thought. (See my post 'Serious/Introverted People')

Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM

664 posts, read 774,628 times
Not one tiny microscopic itsy bitsy damn bit.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,258,934 times
I do not care what people think about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships