Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

Are your friends popular with other people? Do they have lots of friends outside of you? Are they part of the in crowd? Are they social climbers?

In a moment of philosophizing I was thinking of the various people who have been friends through the years. My father used to say you can tell a lot about people by seeing who their friends are. Well my friends were never very popular with other people. In the office my work friends are usually the outcasts, the outsiders who are not popular with the in crowd. Outside of work, my friends are usually s"ocialable loners" who are talkative friendly people but not part of a large social circle because they are a bit odd and don't fit into the popular mainstream crowd. They are not going to have tons of friends. They only have a handful of friends who each of them are super close to each other.

So how about your friends? Do they have tons of friends themselves and are they the popular people? Do you have any friends whose only friend is you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I haven't thought about popularity and the "in" crowd since I was in high school.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,906 times
Over the last couple of years I've gotten to know another woman from the office who is about 10 years younger than me. Over time I began to see she was on the immature side for her age, early 30's. She also seemed to 'popular' and is "friends" with a lot of people. 305 at last count.....Facebook keeps track for her . And yes, she believes all 305 people on her profile are true friends. Even though she friend requests people she barely knows, etc.

The reason for the is because she actually claims to have walked away from a relationship with a nice guy because he didn't seem to have many friends, to include his Facebook friend count......she finds this embarrassing and didn't want her friends to find out.

For some, it seems popularity isn't a whole lot different than HS. Unless someone is popular for a very different, non-adolescent reason, I have no use for popularity.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
DH and I are friends with someone who is extremely popular. He is generous, compassionate, a great musician with an excellent sense of humor. He took us under his wing when we were first visiting New Orleans and really helped us find our feet there. Through him we met many other wonderful people. People cannot say enough good stuff about him and I only hope some of what he has in his soul rubs off on us. He is a very special person.

There are certain cliques in New Orleans but not really an 'in-crowd' as such. We have an acquaintance who 'seems' popular but really, he tends to sort of gallop around folks like the annoying little dog in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. I think people tolerate him more than anything. He's not from New Orleans and I don't think his crowd hold him in the same regard as they do our aforementioned buddy.

I've met and befriended people who seemed a bit lonely but I doubt I was their only friend. I'd hope not, no-one can be that desperate, surely!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
My current group of friends all of them have lots of other friends and are very social. I'm the only one who is more of a loner.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:31 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
Over the last couple of years I've gotten to know another woman from the office who is about 10 years younger than me. Over time I began to see she was on the immature side for her age, early 30's. She also seemed to 'popular' and is "friends" with a lot of people. 305 at last count.....Facebook keeps track for her . And yes, she believes all 305 people on her profile are true friends. Even though she friend requests people she barely knows, etc.

The reason for the is because she actually claims to have walked away from a relationship with a nice guy because he didn't seem to have many friends, to include his Facebook friend count......she finds this embarrassing and didn't want her friends to find out.
If that's her reasoning, she's not just immature, she's a stupid selfish cold-hearted beeyatch. That poor guy is better off without her.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
People that are VERY popular are usually to distracted to make lasting, close friendships.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
If that's her reasoning, she's not just immature, she's a stupid selfish cold-hearted beeyatch. That poor guy is better off without her.
Exactly. I don't know the guy at all but he sounded very nice, attentive, etc. This was just a couple weeks ago and she's already "in love" with someone else. The first guy dodged a bullet for sure.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
120 threads in a couple months. This installment is not bad

Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ Workaholic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships