Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,695 times

Advertisements

so a mutual friend of both myself and my girlfriend texted me yesterday that she loved me. I don't believe it to be a "I love you as a friend " I love you. I haven't responded to her text yet. I really don't know what to say to her other than I kinda feel offended ( is that right?)This friend doesn't really talk to my girlfriend all too often, but does text me quite a bit. All of our texts are strictly Platonic (with the exception of yesterday). We have been friends for around 3 years and I consider her to be more of a sister type friend than anything else. I was considering telling my girlfriend about her text, but I am still on the rail about it. I am not sure how she will take it. She may blame me, she may get upset and confront our mutual friend. I don't really know what she will do. Anyone here have experience in this type of situation? How did it turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,380 times
Could it have been a drunk text?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
Could it have been a drunk text?
No, she was at work yesterday.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,415 times
Could be a drunk text, or a 'mis' text in which she intended to text someone else. I would probably respond "What??" or something like that, see if she comes up with an explanation. I doubt she's professing her love to you through text message.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
You know, I think it was intentional, but since she's a friend and you probably don't want to embarrass her, you could answer as if it was a mis-text, something like, lol, I think you texted the wrong person. That would let her know you're not interested and let her off the hook, no harm no foul. I'd tell your girlfriend only if this woman persists.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,029 times
Quiet some time ago I received a text message with saying " sweet heart darling I miss you, you don't know how much I wanna pump you" from my boss at that time. I send a message back " honey I know you are horny but is this the right number baby ?" That was it, he did not talk about it at all.
But regarding your case I think her intention let your girl friend to see it and start a fire point watch out. Send her a message back sorry wrong number.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Also, if that was the whole message maybe it was one of those preset texts loaded into the phone? I've accidentally sent one of those (I think it was "I'm in a meeting") by hitting a wrong key.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Well, I have texted her since the I love you text, but I never acknowledged what she said. She then texted me, a few minutes ago, asking if I was alright. Ugh. Its like having your sister/brother tell you they love you, but in a different way. Yuck.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
jaredC- this is not on your girlfriend, this is on you.

What you think were platonic texts between you and this other girl were misinterpreted by her. Your paying frequent attention to her via texts has led her to believe she has a chance with you. The fact that she contacts you more than your girlfriend should have been waving a big red flag in front of you. You were kind of clueless there.

You are the only one who can fix this and fix it right now. Contact her and tell her you are in a committed relationships with your girlfriend. Make it very clear to her that you have no romantic interest in her.

I suspect it would be better if you ceased texting her at all in the future. Once you rebuff her, it is going to be very awkward trying to maintain a friendship.

And yes, after you send the " I'm not interested in you" text to the other girl, then I would tell your girlfriend. Then she will be able to see that put a stop to the situation. Sooner or later she would find out. Will she be mad at you for leading the other girl on, innocently or not, sure she will. If you have a strong relationship with her you will be able to work past it.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
I don't know what you should do but I don't believe you didn't have any indication of her feelings if you have been talking to her extensively for 3 years. I just don't believe people can be that clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships