Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times

Advertisements

It's her form of humor. She's probably so used to "flirting" that it's normal compliments/joking around to her. I'd laugh so she sees that it's taken as a joke, but if it really bothers you, as it seems to, just ignore it. She'll eventually get tired of the non-response and stop.

As cpg says, don't "confront" her about this. It's unnecessary and would lead to problems. I'd say your MIL likes you. Try to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM

52 posts, read 62,898 times
Quote:
It's her form of humor. She's probably so used to "flirting" that it's normal compliments/joking around to her.
This is another reason why I never did anything about her actions. I thought it could've been because of that.

Others on here disagree though.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,187 times
you want to pit your wife against her mom ? tell your wife
you want your wifes mom to pin her against you ? tell your mom in law

you want to live peaceably ? ignore it

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM

270 posts, read 409,578 times
Tell your wife, by all means. Seriously. If your m-i-l starts making accusations later, you want to be operating from a position of complete transparency with your wife. But do not expect your wife to fight this battle for you. The next time "Nadine" gets grabby or flirty, just tell her in a lighthearted way to stop & that it's creeping you out. Repeat. Anything more confrontational than that is going to tick her off. But it gets the point across AND can be done in front of other people if you say it the right way.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM

you're right. I will ignore it. It seems to be the best course.

I just want to make sure that this is not normal or appropriate behavior and that I am not just seeing things.

For the MILs in here or people who have MILs, this is stuff that is you would not say or hear, right? Just to know for sure so I begin a strategy to ignore without it seeming too obvious. Things are too good though between the in laws to just make it awkward.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
Tell your wife, by all means. Seriously. If your m-i-l starts making accusations later, you want to be operating from a position of complete transparency with your wife. But do not expect your wife to fight this battle for you. The next time "Nadine" gets grabby or flirty, just tell her in a lighthearted way to stop & that it's creeping you out. Repeat. Anything more confrontational than that is going to tick her off. But it gets the point across AND can be done in front of other people if you say it the right way.
My biggest fear is to be put in a Joseph, Potiphar's wife situation. She is not trustworthy, which is why it's such a difficult move.

Sometimes though I do feel a bit for her because of her situation with her husband and I try to encourage so she won't seek the hard drinking as a resort to find happiness. Although I think the encouragement and compliments probably make the situation worse, no?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
this is why we have informative television PSA's.

Sexual Harassment PSA - YouTube

Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM

LOL. You would consider this sexual harassment? Never thought about it that way.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude999 View Post
LOL. You would consider this sexual harassment? Never thought about it that way.
i mean, the way to handle this is obvious.

next time she says something like that, just yell at the top of your lungs, "RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!!!!!" Flail your arms about, for maximum effect.

problem solved. i can't believe you had to ask.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i mean, the way to handle this is obvious.

next time she says something like that, just yell at the top of your lungs, "RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!!!!!" Flail your arms about, for maximum effect.

problem solved. i can't believe you had to ask.
I have a better idea.

Jude, tell her she's fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships