Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM

52 posts, read 62,898 times

Advertisements

Need advice. I need to know if I have enough ammo to talk to my wife about some of the stuff that my MIL has been saying. I also want to talk to my MIL and let her know how uneasy I feel about what I perceive to be her flirting.

But I need to know if this is appropriate for a mother in law to be saying to her son in law:

"I was going to take a pic of you shirtless while working in the yard to send to your wife"

"take off your shirt tomorrow, don't be shy. I wanna see that shirt off"

to daughter: "if you mess things up with him, I'm keeping him"

to me: "tell my daughter I'll trade her men", says this while slightly touching down the lower end of my back.

She also has been making it a point to tell me how the relationship with her husband is dead, and that he is not "getting any" from her.

I mean is this all normal stuff that a mother in law tells her son in law? Is this just her being friendly? She said some of this stuff when she was drunk, so could I chalk it up to the alcohol?

Point is do I have enough to go to her to tell her that it's inappropriate or will I look like a fool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Not normal or acceptable. I probably would say to any of her comments regarding her own relationship: "Hey, don't tell me that stuff....I don't wanna know that!" and to any comments about trading or touching...."Hey, I'm not cool with that - don't even go there!"

You need to be direct, and look her in the eye. Be a man, and handle it yourself...don't talk to your wife about it unless you have directly dealt with it and she still has not backed off.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
You're not 15 years old. Grow up and learn to ignore. It's not like she's going to rape you when you are asleep. Keep a distance and avoid her. Is that way too difficult?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I wouldn't tell the MIL, let your wife handle that if she sees fit. But, make sure your wife knows what is going on so you don't end up with some false accusations.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
You're not 15 years old. Grow up and learn to ignore. It's not like she's going to rape you when you are asleep. Keep a distance and avoid her. Is that way too difficult?
bingo

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Geez, guys I wasn't saying I was scared to talk to her about it, I was wondering if the stuff she says is friendly or being really flirty in an inappropriate way? I needed to know if so, so I can have a chat with her about it.

So in your opinions, she is crossing the line and venturing into heavy flirting territory? This isn't about being nice or friendly anymore?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude999 View Post
Geez, guys I wasn't saying I was scared to talk to her about it, I was wondering if the stuff she says is friendly or being really flirty in an inappropriate way? I needed to know if so, so I can have a chat with her about it.

So in your opinions, she is crossing the line and venturing into heavy flirting territory? This isn't about being nice or friendly anymore?
Flirting is flirting only if the act is mutual either way. Otherwise, it's one-sided, empty and harmless.

Are you sexually attracted to wife's mom? That's the question.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM

No, I am not in the slightest.

That's what I meant about trying to figure out if this is just harmless fun or if she is crossing the line. Is this normal behavior?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:
This isn't about being nice or friendly anymore?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
It's hard to say if she's being friendly, or seedy.
I guess it depends on what type of person she is, and the spirit in which she means it.
If she's just having a misguided attempt at humour, then it's best to try to nip it in the bud.

If she's being genuine, then you have a problem.
As someone else said, make sure you talk to your wife first.
You need her on your side, get her to watch her mother to see if she can see it too, just in case you're being a bit paranoid or oversensitive.

I know how you feel tho, a few years back I dated someone 16 years younger than me. Her mother made absolutely no secret of the fact that she wanted me for herself. It made me totally uncomfortable. I shared it with my g/f and she agreed. It did eventually calm down after a year or so of dating as we all got to know each other, we didn't have to say anything.

It just meant I tried to avoid her mother if she'd had a couple of glasses of wine !
It wasn't serious enough to class as harassment, so we just decided to ignore it, but it could get a bit tiring.
I definitely feel your pain.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships