Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
Exactly! What happened in the past is in the past. He can fix his life and go to university just as we did. He is his own worst enemy and would rather wallow in it and be angry. I didn't do anything to him to warrant being cut off and ignored. Fine, he has issues with our mother, but none of us chose our parents.
Maybe you should tell him how you feel except leave the parts out about what he should do with his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention, I really wanted him at my wedding, but he made some phoney excuse to not show up. Why would someone act like that?
You aren't getting it are you? Its not about what you want.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
Quote:
I'm looking for some completely neutral advice as to how to make amends with my older half brother.

A bit of background, he is the eldest of 3 of us, but he was my mum's first son from her previous marriage. He always had problems while we were growing up. He left school at 16 without doing A Levels or going to university (he was never pushed). Both myself and my younger brother did go to university.

As adults, he has never let go of the resentment towards our mother and his stepfather (my father) as he believes he was let down, while we were given the opportunities. Both myself and my younger brother are successful, married and comfortable, while our older brother lives alone and works in dead end jobs. Although I can see why he might habour resentment, none of his frustrations in life are my fault.

I have emailed him several times to update him on my life or to talk about football or politics, but he seldom responds. He has completely cut us all out of his life, telling our mother that he wished to cease contact with her.

I believe that much of the resentment is due to my father who once told my older brother that he basically didn't want him.

What can I do to get him to talk to me again? None of this is my fault and we're all adults now, so the past should't matter, should it? I am also concerned because he has gone through bouts of depression in the past, but has turned us all away.

Advice would be appreciated.
He probably can't trust people. So you need time and being constantly good to him, keep talking. And with time, he may warm up to you. It's like taming a wild animal. (Unless he genuine doesn't like you, then it would be a different story)

but otherwise, keep writing, and maybe he is appreciating your emails, but is not willing to admit to you and doesn't really know what to write in response

Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
Quote:
Exactly! What happened in the past is in the past. He can fix his life and go to university just as we did. He is his own worst enemy and would rather wallow in it and be angry. I didn't do anything to him to warrant being cut off and ignored. Fine, he has issues with our mother, but none of us chose our parents.
When people go through a bad experience with someone, they tend to keep others at a distance as well. Even though the "others" didn't do anything wrong

once you put your hand near the fire and get burned, you tend to stay away from the fire altogether

once people hurt you, you tend to stay away from them

time and patience is the best hope

he is like a wounded animal, you have to be very careful and gentle

Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,647 times
Quote:
Advice would be appreciated.
Your mum's relationship with his dad, didn't work out. Then, for whatever reason, your father disowned him. Finally, he has to sit back and watch as his siblings succeed in life. So, what do we have here... resentment, resentment, and more resentment. And no, it's not your fault at all. But, it's not his either, so he feels. First of all, try to avoid talking to him about your successes in life, because it may make him feel bad, i.e he may think you're bragging. I know, that sounds crazy. But when someone has had a lot of trouble in their life, and you've had lots of success, it's not crazy to think that they would rather not hear about your wonderful life. Especially if your mum praises you, and often looks down on him. I believe everyone wants to share their good experiences in life, but they don't want to hear a lot about someone elses (especially when they don't have much of their own excitement to share). In other words, if my life was miserable, I may not always want to hear about someone who's successful, married and comfortable... it's just not likely. I'm sure you love your brother, and you've done absolutely nothing wrong. But, if you want to build a better relationship with him, you have to understand HIS situation. So, with that said, try to do activities with him that HE likes to do, instead of things you like to do. And, only talk about your success if HE wants to hear about it. Lastly, find out what HIS wants, interests, and needs are, and share those with him, i.e. if he likes sports, then talk about it. And, if he likes cars, then take him to an auto show. But, don't talk about your interests unless HE wants to. I really believe that once he sees that HIS interests are also your interests, he'll begin to change. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Your mum's relationship with his dad, didn't work out. Then, for whatever reason, your father disowned him. Finally, he has to sit back and watch as his siblings succeed in life. So, what do we have here... resentment, resentment, and more resentment. And no, it's not your fault at all. But, it's not his either, so he feels. First of all, try to avoid talking to him about your successes in life, because it may make him feel bad, i.e he may think you're bragging. I know, that sounds crazy. But when someone has had a lot of trouble in their life, and you've had lots of success, it's not crazy to think that they would rather not hear about your wonderful life. Especially if your mum praises you, and often looks down on him. I believe everyone wants to share their good experiences in life, but they don't want to hear a lot about someone elses (especially when they don't have much of their own excitement to share). In other words, if my life was miserable, I may not always want to hear about someone who's successful, married and comfortable... it's just not likely. I'm sure you love your brother, and you've done absolutely nothing wrong. But, if you want to build a better relationship with him, you have to understand HIS situation. So, with that said, try to do activities with him that HE likes to do, instead of things you like to do. And, only talk about your success if HE wants to hear about it. Lastly, find out what HIS wants, interests, and needs are, and share those with him, i.e. if he likes sports, then talk about it. And, if he likes cars, then take him to an auto show. But, don't talk about your interests unless HE wants to. I really believe that once he sees that HIS interests are also your interests, he'll begin to change. Good luck.
Exactly the rub.... He keeps him up-dated on his own life and successes.

Me...me ...me...My life, look what I'm doing now.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I have an older half sister who thinks all the younger ones were treated better than her. It's different for her b/c my father actually adopted her...however, she still harbors a lot of resentment. In her case, I'm sorry to say, uh, she hates me and no amount of me trying will change that.

SO...what can you do? I agree with Just1Fan...maybe ease into it by holding back a bit. Let it be on his terms and when he starts to trust, maybe it'll balance out a little more. I really wish you all the luck in the world. And for what it's worth, when you're depressed, you don't want to be around happy people who don't understand depression. It almost physically hurts...so be gentle...

If he's not bat-shyte crazy, he may just come around...especially if he sees he could be that awesome uncle to your kids (future kids)...maybe that's a role he could like and feel comfortable with. Good luck...I wish you all the best.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Maybe you should tell him how you feel except leave the parts out about what he should do with his life.
I totally understand what you're saying. But, I'd be willing to bet you, his brother doesn't give a damn about what he feels. His brother, like all of us, is mainly interested in what HE feels. So, if the OP wants to improve on the relationship with his brother, the best approach would be to find out what his brothers wants, needs and interests are, and then share those with him. If not, there will be no reason for the two of them to interact... from his brothers point of view, that is.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I have an older half sister who thinks all the younger ones were treated better than her. It's different for her b/c my father actually adopted her...however, she still harbors a lot of resentment. In her case, I'm sorry to say, uh, she hates me and no amount of me trying will change that.

SO...what can you do? I agree with Just1Fan...maybe ease into it by holding back a bit. Let it be on his terms and when he starts to trust, maybe it'll balance out a little more. I really wish you all the luck in the world. And for what it's worth, when you're depressed, you don't want to be around happy people who don't understand depression. It almost physically hurts...so be gentle...

If he's not bat-shyte crazy, he may just come around...especially if he sees he could be that awesome uncle to your kids (future kids)...maybe that's a role he could like and feel comfortable with. Good luck...I wish you all the best.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships