Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 PM

4,063 posts, read 2,148,396 times

Advertisements

We've had these friends (husband and wife) for a couple of years. For a while they were bad about canceling dates we had planned to get together. I thought they had gotten better, but.....

For at least a week, we had planned to take a hike this morning. A few days ago, in attempting to finalize our plans, we were having trouble setting a mutually acceptable time. DH and I get up around 7, so we wanted to pick them up around 8:00 to 8:30 to go out for breakfast, but I suggested 9, knowing that other people don't get up as early as we do. The wife likes to sleep late, so 9 wasn't good for her. But we couldn't have breakfast later than 9----being up for 2 or more hours by then, we'd be famished. So I suggested that we pick them up at 10, walk, and then have a picnic lunch where we were hiking. It was agreed that that would be okay.

Yesterday I got a call from the husband (he is more social than the wife, so he does the arranging). He said he thought he pulled a muscle in his back from loading his lawnmower into his car to get it fixed. He wasn't sure he would be hurting the next day, but thought he better cancel just in case he was. He asked if we wanted to do lunch the next day anyway. I suggested dinner since we had a GroupOn we had to use. We agreed on the place and time.

Today he called at 2:30 saying the wife wasn't up to going. The reason: they had friends over the night before and the friends brought a bottle of port, which supposedly has more alcohol. Wife reportedly drank four glasses of it and is paying for it today with a major headache. Yet they went for a walk a little earlier---where she dragged herself around, supposedly.

I could see canceling one plan---but even the alternate plan? And yup, I understand that we weren't being completely flexible----that we didn't want to eat later than 9 a.m., but physiologically, that wouldn't be good for us---just like getting up earlier than 10 a.m. isn't good for her (she likes to stay up late).

Should we dump these friends? Or am I being too hard on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,529,227 times
Things happen.

I would say if they continued to cancel then I wouldn't go out of my way to extend invitations anymore.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,578,883 times
On the surface you seem to be their back-up plan, perhaps finding someone whose lifestyle more closely matches yours would be better. No need to dump them, just contact them more infrequently.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,833,808 times
If they stay as friends depends on a lot more than just a few speed-bumps like them being inconsiderate to you.
But that lack of care suggests that you reduce how many times you include them in plans where a broke RSVP messes with your own plans. IE: Tell them you will be starting out on a hike, ending in a brunch, leaving such and such at this time, and you'd love it if they showed up and joined in. That way they choose if they want to come, but your plans aren't effected.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,240 times
I wouldn't dump them, I would just develop some other friends. Find someone who is flexible enough they don't mind getting up a bit sooner or whatever. If it were me I wouldn't bother to invite these people out anymore, let them make the arrangements to suit your schedule for a change.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Friends should not be that much work. I might not dump them but I probably would not actively try to make future plans. If they want to see you they will call.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,148,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
If they stay as friends depends on a lot more than just a few speed-bumps like them being inconsiderate to you.
I'm not understanding this. You think that a lack of consideration is just a speed bump in a friendship? Shouldn't friends be considerate to each other?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,367,932 times
I have seen this and had it happen before. It's rude and speaks to their inconsiderate nature. We really should at least just ask for consideration from our friends. Cancelling all the time is really bad form, and lets me know I am not that important to whoever keeps doing it.

I am pretty honest, so I would say something.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,300,712 times
Maybe "early birds" and "night hawks" just can't make it together.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,310,677 times
if they've always canceled plans like this then give them the axe, it's not bad timing if something like this always comes up. Don't take it passively, call them out on it because if you don't you're as much at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships