Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 02:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Not content at all. 43 and divorced with no kids. Hate it. This was not the plan I had for my life at all. Recession ruined my career, so no hope of finding a wife and having a family. Its a disaster for me. Lonely with no hope is no way to live, and thats how I'm living.

Why would you say that you have no hope of finding a wife and having a family?As long as you're employed,working, you still have a chance of those things that you think you don't.Don't give up and try to stay positive.It can be hard but you can do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 AM

14 posts, read 8,739 times
I always looked young so thought "I got time", and a little spoiled too cause dating was way more fluid back in the 90s and 00s.

The thing stopping me now is a mix of inner perception (How lame, I'm the late bloomer. I wanted to be first. etc) pride, ego, and the actual fact it's also up to some girl/woman out there to want to.

Also that I feel like I'm seen as trouble, it's just so on my face and voice, like girls can tell I'm somehow a broken/stay away one. Or "one of those". I feel I'm put into a category, or group. My equivolent would be the 43 year female with the sun-worn tattoo and a strong tone in her voice as if she's been burned and is on the defense. Only I got no tattoos. But I got the "inner workings" of someone who should've, and girls intuition says, I somehow am "weak" for not having been able to express something inside. That leads to danger, explosions.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
stage 1: the successful dater is in a honeymoon relationship (usually years 1-2 of marriage)
stage 2: the euphoria subsides and subtle differences start to arise (usually by year 2)
stage 3: the differences escalate to a major conflict: threats of divorce, arguments, affairs, etc.
stage 4: the make it or break it stage - somehow the conflict escalates to a major level that needs resolution.
stage 5: the couple survives the high and low points and learns to live together despite differences.
This is the twilight set of years for older couples who weathered the storm and survived intact.
Most couples don't make it to this level.

So, I dare you to make it to stage 5 intact. I honestly hope you do. But the odds are generally against it for the aggregate population.
I'm friend with a couple of never married/no kids women in their 40s. None of them feel compelled to vilify marriage in general. It just didn't happen for them, and they're good with it.

Your "stages" might be the recipe for a bad marriage between drama queens/kings, but it's not for a successful one.

I'm going on 25 years married, and my marriage has looked nothing like your "5 stages". No roller coaster of euphoria/conflict, no threats, no learning to live together "despite" anything. We teamed up all those years ago and while things have happened we had to deal with, all of the drama came from outside our relationship. Things like ill parents, death of loved ones, extended family issues, the normal things people have to deal with in life.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:06 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Your "stages" might be the recipe for a bad marriage between drama queens/kings, but it's not for a successful one.

I'm going on 25 years married, and my marriage has looked nothing like your "5 stages". No roller coaster of euphoria/conflict, no threats, no learning to live together "despite" anything. We teamed up all those years ago and while things have happened we had to deal with, all of the drama came from outside our relationship. Things like ill parents, death of loved ones, extended family issues, the normal things people have to deal with in life.

Nothing is absolute when it comes to people and relationships. Those "stages" may apply to some but not others. Also, the stages can be less or more in number and can vary from couple to couple.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Nothing is absolute when it comes to people and relationships. Those "stages" may apply to some but not others. Also, the stages can be less or more in number and can vary from couple to couple.
Exactly. That was my point.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Anyone single, middle-aged, without children, AND without any family nearby, AND happy and content?

Old 03-25-2018, 04:10 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
Why are any of these things necessary to be content? Despite their popularity, they are all optional extras and not essential ingredients for a happy life.

The main reason for my discontent has nothing to do with family and relationships (or a perceived lack of them) and everything to do with the time it's taken me to achieve my career and personal goals. Rightly or wrongly, I think a marriage and children would only slow me down, so I long ago decided not to trouble myself with either.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 PM

310 posts, read 202,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Anyone single, middle-aged, without children, AND without any family nearby, AND happy and content?
I'm 61 and qualify. Single, no kids. I have dogs who think I'm nice, so that's good enough.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I was hanging out with a buddy yesterday watching his 10 year old in a big swimming competition. I felt so disappointed that I didn't have a family of my own. I was just observing all these proud, seemingly happy parents watching their kids. I could have been a good dad. That should have been me. It just makes me sad to think I'll never have that, as well as how I am viewed as a 43 year old single man without kids.
You are giving up at only 43? Are you nuts or just feeling sorry for yourself? You have all kinds of opportunities to find someone and still have children. Women are having children later in life now because they have good jobs and don't want to give them up.

If you were 43 and had never been married then I might wonder, but you're divorced like most people are. Lots of single and divorced women in your age group out there looking for husbands. You just have to make the effort. ALL those people at that swim meet were NOT married.....you just didn't take the time to ask and seek them out.

As for being happy and/or content.... people....that is entirely up to you!

It has nothing to do with having kids or a family or anything else. It's how YOU view yourself and what you make of your life. You CAN be happy and/or content by yourself.

I didn't have kids. Best decision, or at least one of the best, I ever made. No regrets.

After seeing my friends and how their kids act and treat them as parents...I am SO happy they aren't mine. Their kids are adults now with kids of their own and treat their Moms horribly. I certainly don't want or need that in my life.

I am older than 43 (wanna trade?)

Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
You are giving up at only 43? Are you nuts or just feeling sorry for yourself? You have all kinds of opportunities to find someone and still have children. Women are having children later in life now because they have good jobs and don't want to give them up.

If you were 43 and had never been married then I might wonder, but you're divorced like most people are. Lots of single and divorced women in your age group out there looking for husbands. You just have to make the effort. ALL those people at that swim meet were NOT married.....you just didn't take the time to ask and seek them out.

As for being happy and/or content.... people....that is entirely up to you!

It has nothing to do with having kids or a family or anything else. It's how YOU view yourself and what you make of your life. You CAN be happy and/or content by yourself.

I didn't have kids. Best decision, or at least one of the best, I ever made. No regrets.

After seeing my friends and how their kids act and treat them as parents...I am SO happy they aren't mine. Their kids are adults now with kids of their own and treat their Moms horribly. I certainly don't want or need that in my life.

I am older than 43 (wanna trade?)
While I agree with most of what you posted, and am happy that you made the best life decision for you, I do want to point out that not all parents have uncaring children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships