Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

As in most people are quicker to hate ugly people?

I believe this to be the case. Although we hear a lot of people bitching (out of jealousy) about good looking people, when it comes down to it, people will flock to people whom they think have power/influence over others. Good looks are of course a form of power (as is physical strength, athleticism, money or a fancy title).

But, as mean as this may sound, I think it may also have to do with aesthetics. People are repulsed by physical ugliness, like it or not, so they already receive an ugly person with a somewhat negative attitude. So if the ugly person says or does something they don't like, even if it's minor, this effect will be magnified. Kind of like how we hate those ugly looking monsters in horror movies. If the person is good looking, however, we tend to be more forgiving. Since even if they do something wrong their being aesthetically pleasing 'soothes' the feelings of hostility toward them.

I could get on my high-horse and say that I treat everyone equal, but I recognise I sometimes react this way and try to minimise it as best I can. Of course I never consciously treat better looking people better - okay, I admit it, if I think I have any chance with an attractive female I might be inclined to be nicer than usual - but it's something I notice.

For instance, if a fat, ugly woman says something mean to you, vs someone who is slightly attractive, you're often likely to call the first woman a 'fat ugly *****', instead of just 'a *****.' You'll associate the negative qualities of her appearance with the negative way she treated you, doubly villifying her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Think about this, does an ugly person who wears a uniform of authority anymore attractive? lol.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Ugly people dont offend me , dirty ones do.. I cant stand dirty teeth, bad breath, B.O. or smelly feet.. and never feel good looking people better than others. their just very lucky not to have been hit by the ugly branch.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Shallow people are the easiest to hate, if you're going to hate anyone.

I like people for who they are and what they do, not for how they look. If you've ever seen the photos of models and famous people without makeup and other enhancements, you'd know that beauty is all about perception.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
I could not disagree more.

I most certainly do not favor more attractive people...to do so is pointless. Attractiveness to me has much more to do with a person's demeanour and character, than physical appearance.

I often find that even if someone appears initially VERY unattractive, within 5 minutes of talking to them they seem to pretty up, if they are a nice person. Likewise, an attractive person can become a pile of fug within even less time.

It literally is in the eye of the beholder, for me. But yes, the vast majority of people do favor the attractive, and that is probably just human nature. Isn't there some new scientific finding that attractiveness=symmetry=good genetic material=desireable mate? To lionise the attractive is probably just survival of the fittest.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I hate fungus.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
People are nicer and treat individuals who have characteristics such as lightskin, light eyes and straight hair better than those who have darkskin, dark eyes and coily hair. Society attributes lightskin and light eyes with being attractive even if the person is not that good looking.

I do not like this and certainly do not think its fair to treat people less than over something they have no control over.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
People are nicer and treat individuals who have characteristics such as lightskin, light eyes and straight hair better than those who have darkskin, dark eyes and coily hair. Society attributes lightskin and light eyes with being attractive even if the person is not that good looking.

I do not like this and certainly do not think its fair to treat people less than over something they have no control over.
I don't think that's true of everyone. I mentioned to you in another thread that skin colour and beauty do not go hand in hand. I've seen so many absolutely stunning black women, who unlike many Caucasian women do not age as quickly (the same is true for Scandinavian women).

I do have a female friend who is black & British and she says the same thing and has confidence issues because of it. Funny part is, she is 10/10 and could attract any many she wants. Perhaps it's that other women are actually jealous of her?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I've seen this first hand on multiple occasions. Pretty people (customers, potential hires etc.) were ALWAYS treated better than less attractive people. At the last place I worked, we were interviewing for a new position and people would come in to drop of resumes and whatnot often. Since it was a closed facility, they always had to be 'let in' by me or my boss so I got to meet every one of them. The unattractive people would be given a handshake, a quick overview and a 'we'll call you if we're interested'. The attractive people, on the other hand, got full tours, interviews right away and usually the CEO or other managers would be involved.

At first I thought it was because they had a better resume...but after a cute blonde got a full facility tour and the attention of all three of my managers I took a quick look at her resume and she didn't have ANY of the basic requirements to be considered.

So yes, in my experience attractive people are treated better and offered more opportunities than unattractive people.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I don't think that's true of everyone. I mentioned to you in another thread that skin colour and beauty do not go hand in hand. I've seen so many absolutely stunning black women, who unlike many Caucasian women do not age as quickly (the same is true for Scandinavian women).

I do have a female friend who is black & British and she says the same thing and has confidence issues because of it. Funny part is, she is 10/10 and could attract any many she wants. Perhaps it's that other women are actually jealous of her?
In real life, skin color and beauty do go hand and hand. The lighter a woman is the more prettier she is perceived by society, she will receive better treatment, and fit in socially with most of her peers. This is what I've heard all of my life and witnessed.

The female friend who is black & british is she biracial or just a Black British woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships