Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times

Advertisements

It might just be me, but it seems that women call other women pretty and cute all the time without actually meaning it. This would be in situations where you are NOT directly asked.

Like someone will show a female friend a picture of their friend or coworker or whatever, and they will be like, "Oh. She's so pretty." without even being asked their opinion.

Or walk through someone's house and see a picture of their sister, and they'll be like, "Oh, she's so cute."

Obviously, men never do this.

And I noticed women only do it for women. They never do it for men.

Is it like a female support group? Or is it all in my head?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,042 times
If I give a compliment then I mean it. If I don't mean it, then I won't just say something nice about someone's appearance for the heck of it.

Why is it that we're expected to automatically compliment people's appearances when we're shown pictures of other people's friends/family members/etc? Why can't we just say something like, "Nice picture" or "He/she seems nice" instead of being expected to say "She's pretty" when she might not be physically attractive?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
I always mean it. It's like somebody's baby.. there is always SOMETHING nice to say.. She has a beautiful smile/hair/eyes, etc.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
I dont. I rarely give compliments. If I do it may be about shoes, hair, makeup, etc. If someone isn't attractive I'm not going to pull a bs comment out of my a** just for the he** of it.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
My compliments are rarely appearance-related. I compliment my coworkers a lot on their accomplishments, skill, doing a great job with a particular student, etc. But I don't really focus on "Hey, that skirt is really cute," or "Your hair looks nice," as a rule. I guess I've just always been more conditioned to focus on accomplishments and personality traits, etc.

A friend of mine who lives in another state recently started a new relationship, and posted a pic of him and his new SO on facebook. I wrote him that I wanted to hear all about her, knowing that if he's dating her, she must be a pretty cool person. I noticed that most other people posted about her appearance, etc. It struck me that it hadn't even occurred to me to make a "Aww, cute!" comment, even if that is the social norm. Not that she's not cute, but I'm more curious about what she's like.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
this probably occurs because men don't have to walk through supermarkets and see magazine after magazine focused on how they should and/or could look better or become better overall. if they did, maybe they would feel the need to boost up another guy's appearance just for the hell of it. It's probably an automatic reaction on the part of most women b/c of how we're conditioned by society to be so into looks. I don't necessarily think it's a conscious effort to lie to someone.

With that said, I rather not say anything at all then say something that's not true, but yes, I have done this and like I said it's probably a knee jerk reaction.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It might just be me, but it seems that women call other women pretty and cute all the time without actually meaning it. This would be in situations where you are NOT directly asked.

Like someone will show a female friend a picture of their friend or coworker or whatever, and they will be like, "Oh. She's so pretty." without even being asked their opinion.

Or walk through someone's house and see a picture of their sister, and they'll be like, "Oh, she's so cute."

Obviously, men never do this.

And I noticed women only do it for women. They never do it for men.

Is it like a female support group? Or is it all in my head?
idk. I must have missed the compliment memo. I never give one I don't mean. I give men compliments too, like, "OOooh, nice tie!", or "That's a great color on you! Really sets off your blond hair." These are not men I have any personal interest in. Giving deserved compliments are a gift, like a day-brightener. I believe in committing random acts of kindness.

I've never been shown a photo of someone and complimented the person in the photo. Never occurred to me. I would assume that if people say "she's cute", or whatever, they mean it. Otherwise, why bother? The OP makes me feel like I missed something in the socialization process. When I say something, I mean it. Otherwise, I don't say anything. Is that unusual?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My compliments are rarely appearance-related. I compliment my coworkers a lot on their accomplishments, skill, doing a great job with a particular student, etc. But I don't really focus on "Hey, that skirt is really cute," or "Your hair looks nice," as a rule. I guess I've just always been more conditioned to focus on accomplishments and personality traits, etc.

A friend of mine who lives in another state recently started a new relationship, and posted a pic of him and his new SO on facebook. I wrote him that I wanted to hear all about her, knowing that if he's dating her, she must be a pretty cool person. I noticed that most other people posted about her appearance, etc. It struck me that it hadn't even occurred to me to make a "Aww, cute!" comment, even if that is the social norm. Not that she's not cute, but I'm more curious about what she's like.
Tab: I bet occasionally you might say to a buddy, "Hey, sharp suit!" Something like that. Certainly not as often as women do, but women are into clothes, and more into appearance than guys. It's normal.

Your response to your friend's pic of his s.o. makes perfect sense to me. The important thing is what kind of a person she is. Though some guys might say, "Hey, she's hot!" (if she truly is the hot type). Your response seems to me to be the mature response.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,227 times
No.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
You know what else I dont get...women awing over baby pics. I'm not a kid/baby fan and dont find them cute (puppies on the other hand are a completely different story) and I always feel awkward when I dont have a reaction to someone's kid pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships