Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Mrs. Chow's brother and his wife seem to be like this.

Every time we turn around they seem to have "discovered" things that we are already into, it may be a coincidence, but IDK.

I have no issue with sharing things or "turning someone onto" stuff, but don't act all high and mighty and "cultured" and like you're the only one that knows about it when you clearly got it from someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
@cremebrulee

It is so bad that I am looking for another job. This has been going on since 2008/2009. I spoke to my manager about it but they are buddy buddy, so going to management is not going to help matters at all. The only solution is to leave, since she isn't trying to, even though she complains about the job from the time she walks in to the time she walks out. SMDH.
You don't feedback to your manager about someone copying your dressing or things like that for her to do anything about it, since its not work related. Its only valid if its work related such as she copied your project ideas and used it to her own credit. Sounds a big deal for you to leave the job because of that, chances are there might always be a copycat at work wherever you go.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
I know how annoying this is indeed, its something I constantly have to deal with as well. In the past and present I have noticed friends or colleagues copied me in some ways or other, from the hair thing to the way I speak, words I used, things I wore eg. accessories, the way I hold something and even my handwriting style etc...

Some would comment on things they noticed about you and the next you know, they copy that thing about you. Some just quietly observed but try to dress or act like you nevertheless, which they previously wasn't like that before.
I don't like it nor feel its a flattery, because I'm an individualistic and these creepy copies are acting like a clone of yours. I wish people would just be themselves and not try to act like somebody else. Well, at least I know how annoying Apple is when China came out with their version of Iphone!!
LOL, very good post! Thank you

Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 PM

38 posts, read 41,496 times
Just curious - Were you by any chance an only child or the youngest child? Maybe you like being the center of attention. I would take this as total flattery rather than feeling hurt because people imitate you.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thanks for that comment

Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thanks for that comment..

Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swestey View Post
Just curious - Were you by any chance an only child or the youngest child? Maybe you like being the center of attention. I would take this as total flattery rather than feeling hurt because people imitate you.
Maybe that is because you copy others and you are not aware of it, however, you come into a thread and make personal judgement and attacts on others who feel differently then you? I don't know, was it worth the effort?

there is a thread going on about just this very thing....why people come into threads and personally attack someone for their beliefs...?

As you can see, there are several others here who feel the same way....just b/c you feel one way and others feel another doesn't make you right and them wrong....

Highest form of flattery huh,
to take someone else's ideas and copy them, to copy someone else's hair style...to buy the very same coat, to paint your home the very same color that someone else picked then hang the very same shutters, to try and talk like someone else, to copy their garden exactly like you have, to actually take a presentation that someone created and call it theirs? To take a recipe that was from my great great grand-mother which was given to her by a polish friend and change it and then call it yours, after that recipe won a cooking contest? No actually the people that do this are the ones with the problems, and those of you who come into this thread and come down on others for feeling hurt by it, are the ones who have severe problems.

So fine, you feel that way, doesn't make anyone else wrong for feeling the way they go either....you are unable to see that b/c people don't think and feel as you do, doesn't make them wrong.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,914 times
@softcrunch, this is the first time i have ever encountered it on the job. the copying of the mannerisms, sayings, the following me to the printer, it is just beyond creepy. it's uncomfortable. i don't even want to be in the office alone with her. she has taken it to another level.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have a sister in law who keeps buying things that I buy that I sort of consider my signature "things." The first time I said "You can't do that..." and she said "yes I can..." Now I just ignore it because it would drive me crazy if I dwelled on it and let it get to me. I just figure she wants to be me.
She does

Ok, here goes, I had a girlfriend since 7th grade, and when I was younger I never really got it, but once she told me, she envied me, I asked her why, she said, b/c your so confident, independent, and pretty.

We grew up, got married, and she still insisted she had to copy me...if we hadn't seen each other for a while, and I told her I gained weight, and I did, but by the time we saw each other I had lost she got really angry and said, "you always tell me you have gained weight and when I see you your skinny".

when we did talk on the phone, it was always her this, and her that, and she never really cared about what was going on in my life....this kind of thing went on for years, until one day, she got a dog, exactly like the dog I used to have I mean exactly and named her new puppy my dogs name....which was kind of unique, and very special to me, b/c something happened that I won't go into, but that dog was very special to me and my son, and she just calmly announced that she named her dog the same as mine. Now, I found the name by going down the letters of the alphabet, and just came upon it, later I found out, that it meant something else in another language. Anyway, that was the end of our friendship. There was much more, that she copied and said, but I wont' go into, but when I did confront her about it, she denied it.
So, while I can say, that sometimes it doesn't bother me, and other times it does...when I think about it, it's annoying and it also depends on who it is....
But the one neighbor that copied my trellis, even asked me who the contractor was who did it, cuz she wanted one just like it?

Then there is this other neighbor who I love to death...but yeah, she copys me, a lot. When we first met, I noticed how she decorated like me, even did the same things in her garden?

I guess, some people don't like it when others get something new, they have to have it, but others are not satisfied with their work and ideas, so they have to steal others, but whoever said it is the highest form of flattery, must have stolen a whole lot of people's ideas. yanno, it's kind of like an emotional identity theft.

I really think this whole thing evloves around me gravitating towards insecure people...and that is what bothers me the most?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I had this same conversation with my 14 year old daughter. I told her not to worry about it. THose who follow and copy others typically lack creativity, imagination, originality and are basically harmless. No one can be a better you than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships