Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times

Advertisements

Don't beat yourself up, even though it appears that neither of you prepared well for this visit. An online friend is not your best friend. You need to make some real friends where you live. At this point, no texting to her, do not take her calls, and do not diss her on any social networking site. It is over and it is time to get on with your life with people who you can interact with in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You said that you promised before the trip that you would,"take care of everything" and then, on the SECOND day of the trip, you ran out of money.

So what does that tell her about the kind of person you are?
That I make mistakes like any human. And I did make a mistake. A huge one.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Don't beat yourself up, even though it appears that neither of you prepared well for this visit. An online friend is not your best friend. You need to make some real friends where you live. At this point, no texting to her, do not take her calls, and do not diss her on any social networking site. It is over and it is time to get on with your life with people who you can interact with in person.
I'm doing my best to keep my distance. I would tell myself that what I did isn't a crime.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJDittySon View Post
That I make mistakes like any human. And I did make a mistake. A huge one.
Yep, you did. She probably wasn't expecting you to do that, so perhaps she just got a very bad impression of you.

Better luck next time. The Internet isn't really a good place to meet people.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Yep, you did. She probably wasn't expecting you to do that, so perhaps she just got a very bad impression of you.

Better luck next time. The Internet isn't really a good place to meet people.
Thanks. Another lesson learned. I know you mean well so I don't take it personally.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I made friends with a girl from CO on an online forum. I ended up moving to CO and we are now very good "real life" friends and I'm close to her family. Not everyone you meet on the internet is a nut and "real life" friends ********* over and get angry with you as well.

Anyway, this story doesn't add up to me. Why did you promise to pay for everything while you were on your trip? Shouldn't friends each pay their own way? Is this friend having a hard time financially? I'm torn between saying what your friend is a nut and a mooch, and saying shame on you OP for promising to help pay for your activities and then showing up without any money. Hope you both learned a good lesson.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Your best friend?? Seven years before you met her in real life? Sitting in front of a computer communicating, texting, talking on the cell phone or twitter doesn't really qualify a person to be 'your best friend.' You need to get out in the real world not a virtual world. Behind the electronics they could be a 'slob' or a 'neat freak' ... you really don't know people until you actually spend one on one face to face time with them. Some internet 'best friends' do work out I am sure after spending real time with each other.

I played cards once a week for years with a group on the internet that I would call my friends ... not my best friends. We have all met in real life many times. One guy that everyone liked on the internet is a snot in real life. LOL He knows everything, you've met people like that I am sure ... in our card games he can't come across as the 'Mr. Know-It-All' ... my husband jokingly says 'we know the smartest man in the whole world!' His wife was a lovely lady that didn't talk much in real life but playing cards she came alive. None of these things was visible online.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I makes one wonder exactly how much time a person spends in front of the computer if their very best friend in the world is virtual.

OP, I think the core of your problem may have to do with too much time on the Internet. What do you think?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
It's interesting to me that you can share quite a bit online with someone and the biggest thing people fight about never comes up online: MONEY. So, after seven years, you know the basics, you know how she deals with loss, you may know her sense of humor and so on. BUT, you don't know about money.

I don't think you should've promised to pay for the whole trip...that's weird to me and if I were her, I would not have accepted that arrangement. However, as you already know, you misappropriated funds early on and that probably left her feeling weird about you. But her reaction? The reaction doesnt' "seem" to fit the "crime". Best to move on....

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJDittySon View Post
Two weeks ago, I went to visit an online female friend in California after seven years of interaction.
She was never a real life friend. She is just someone with weird personality disorder who gets mad over something non-signficant.

Do you really want to be friends with someone like that. SERIOUSLY now!

There are tons more normal, reasonable people in your hometown and in real life and not some internet weirdo with weird personality and lack of emotional maturity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships