Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

So, the bad news is that there are less apartment openings right now in Boston than you'd find other times of year. The good news is that means people looking are at an advantage because there are many people looking for roommates to move in to replace people who break their leases. If you wanted to move next week and move to Malden, my boyfriend is one of those people looking right now. :P

But yeah - get out. The sooner the better. You do need to give a month's notice because no lease = month-to-month in MA, or, more accurately, one rental period's notice, So, if you wanted to move out Feb 1, you'd need to notify your roommates (including a written notification) by December 31. In all honesty, few roommates will try to nail you for it, but they would win in small claims court. Not to mention that unless your roommates are outright threatening you, you're better than screwing them over like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
I would wonder what your roommates are saying about you that caused her to behave that way. I wouldn't bother asking them because they will lie... blow it off and go about making your future better so you don't have to have roomies!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
ugh, awkwarrrd!
lols

And...Sorry gamma,
Maybe she assumed you're introduction was hitting on her, she's a nasty, possibly intoxicated ***** .
Get your own place if you can.

Last edited by virgode; 12-09-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
Typical roommate drama and definitely not unique to this generation. I went through almost the identical scenarios of stolen beer and rude female guests many moons ago. Let bygones be bygones and don't get involved any further, just accept that your apartment is a temporary roof over your head and spend as much time as possible away from home and limit conversation to a friendly hello and good bye. If the hostility level escalates you might find yourself in a situation that is unbearable. You might clear the air a little by one night ordering a pizza or two for you and your roommates and let them know in a friendly way that you are looking for a new place, no hard feelings, not to be nice to them but to make the transition smoother and less stressful for you. And then do it- get away from these douchebags and party girls.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Maybe the roomates thought she was a rude beeotch too... unless it was one of the roommies GF or something like that, I wouldn't say anything unless she comes by the apt on a regular basis.

Yeah, she was being a rude beeotch, maybe she was drunk? Some people are simply awful once they get a couple drinks in them... like their real personality comes out!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I should expand further on my roommate situation. I was in a fraternity in college, and when I got my job in Boston I posted a thread on our organization's forum asking if anybody knew of any apartments for rent. A guy responded saying that he was living with two other alumni but he was moving out of state, so his room would be up for rent--that's how I got the place I'm living in.

I would describe my relationship to my roommates as distant. The couple times that we've gone out drinking, I've initiated in order to get to know them better. They have never initiated asking me to hang out with them or made any further attempts to socialize--they are close buddies and have their own group of friends they hang out with. I'm fine with this, as I realize people tend to stay within their cliques and may not want to make new friends, but I tried anyway because while I don't think roommates necessarily have to be friends, they should at least be on amicable terms.

That said, I do get along with one roommate more so than the other. The roommate that I have somewhat of an issue with has always been cold to me from the start, and the times I hung out with both he would only speak with my other roommate and made no real attempt at socializing with me. During Thanksgiving my other roommate went home and this roommate (let's call him John) cooked a thanksgiving meal with his girlfriend and invited a few of their friends over for the feast. I had to work that afternoon/night, and as I was leaving his girlfriend offered to save a plate of food for me. He overheard, and said, "you know, I don't think that's a good idea. I was planning on saving leftovers for lunch and I don't know how much food will be left after everybody eats". His girlfriend looked unsure of what to say, so to break the awkwardness I said to her, "I'm actually all set, but thanks for the offer anyway, I appreciate it". That night when I got home from work (around 2am), they had gone to camp out for black Friday. I noticed that there were beer bottles all over the kitchen and living room tables--those beers belonged to me. When I saw John the next day I asked him why he had served my beer to his guests without asking. He said, "well you shoulda put your name on them", to which I replied, "I did" and he said, "well I didn't notice" and went back to his room. This was the only situation so far in which John has been openly hostile toward me, but again, to maintain the peace I left it at that.

But here is why I don't and can't take the risk of angering either roommates: none of us are on a lease. Both of my roommates' parents are family friends with the landlord (whom I've never met). From what I know, the landlord put the apartment on the market a couple of years ago but wasn't able to sell, so he is renting under the table to my roommates, who I in turn pay rent to. I'm concerned that if I anger them, they'll throw me out of the apartment, and I'll have absolutely no recourse against them.
You sound like the mature one in this equation. I'd look for a different place to live, if that's an option.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM

73 posts, read 215,144 times
The roommate situation took a strange turn for the worse last evening. They had some of their friends over to drink and hang out, although it wasn't a party like last time. I had just gotten home from work and settled in to my room when I heard one girl downstairs ask John "hey where is "Dave's" (other roommate) room? John replied "go up the stairs and to the left" sarcastically (this was how to get to MY room). I heard the girl say, "you're a liar!" jokingly to John, and she came up the stairs and went into Dave's room. A while later, I heard/felt as if somebody was standing near by (my room door was ajar) and I turned around and saw the girl staring at me from my doorway. When I made eye contact with her she turned around and went down the stairs laughing, and said to somebody "wow, what a CREEEEP!"

At that point I got up and went downstairs, saw the girl, and asked "excuse me, what is your problem? I don't even know you, so I'm not sure why you're saying something like that". She rolled her eyes and said, "pshh f*** off loser". I asked, angrily this time, "excuse me?!" and John's girlfriend, who was drunk and sitting on the couch, said, "calm down, she has a right to an opinion!" I looked over at John, who was playing beer pong with his friend, and he had this icy glare just fixated on me, as if daring me to say something to his girlfriend. At that point I felt like it wasn't even worth dragging out or arguing with John's girlfriend or the other girl, so I just shook my head and went back upstairs.

This, I think, at least proves a couple things a few people mentioned earlier: 1. that clearly John, Dave, or both are talking about me behind my back for their friends to react that way, and 2. they are the company they keep.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM

436 posts, read 671,043 times
You really need to find a new place.

These are immature, nasty people. You don't need to be in a situation where you are disrespected - especially in the place you call home. Being there can't help but have a negative affect on you.

Please start looking for something else!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I wouldn't have roommates in the first place. I enjoy my own space & privacy way too much. I've never had a roommate before & don't plan to.

But, since you've got these 2 mle roommates, of course they're going to have friends over from time to time. The 3 of you should all sit down & at least agree that whoever is over the house should have respect for all apt residents & vice versa. I'm not saying everyone has to be best friends...just be cordial & say hello if nothing else. This smart ass ***** was definitely in the wrong.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
The roommate situation took a strange turn for the worse last evening. They had some of their friends over to drink and hang out, although it wasn't a party like last time. I had just gotten home from work and settled in to my room when I heard one girl downstairs ask John "hey where is "Dave's" (other roommate) room? John replied "go up the stairs and to the left" sarcastically (this was how to get to MY room). I heard the girl say, "you're a liar!" jokingly to John, and she came up the stairs and went into Dave's room. A while later, I heard/felt as if somebody was standing near by (my room door was ajar) and I turned around and saw the girl staring at me from my doorway. When I made eye contact with her she turned around and went down the stairs laughing, and said to somebody "wow, what a CREEEEP!"

At that point I got up and went downstairs, saw the girl, and asked "excuse me, what is your problem? I don't even know you, so I'm not sure why you're saying something like that". She rolled her eyes and said, "pshh f*** off loser". I asked, angrily this time, "excuse me?!" and John's girlfriend, who was drunk and sitting on the couch, said, "calm down, she has a right to an opinion!" I looked over at John, who was playing beer pong with his friend, and he had this icy glare just fixated on me, as if daring me to say something to his girlfriend. At that point I felt like it wasn't even worth dragging out or arguing with John's girlfriend or the other girl, so I just shook my head and went back upstairs.

This, I think, at least proves a couple things a few people mentioned earlier: 1. that clearly John, Dave, or both are talking about me behind my back for their friends to react that way, and 2. they are the company they keep.
That's a pretty bad situation. I read through a couple of your posts just to make sure, and you seem to be legit.

People like your roommates and their friends are quite common. I knew people like that in high school. I'm pretty confident to say that if I was in your shoes, they'd treat me the same or worse.

And don't think they will mature too much in 10 years. Why would they need to? They have friends, girlfriends, jobs. And when 'John' gets married, his wife and best man will undoubtedly give a speech of how he is the kindest, most gentle man in the world.

There's a WIDE range of social spectrum in this world, and it seems to me like you guys are on opposite ends. For all my troubles in this world, one thing I will say is I am very good at sniffing out arseholes and b@tches. There is almost no way I would have ended up living with guys like that because I would have been able to tell they were like that from talking to them for 10 minutes and even really just looking at them. Conversely, the same guys would have no interest in living with me. Read a somewhat similar thread posted here...

I'm having an issue with my roommate...

If I were you, I'd move out as soon as possible before the @#$% hits the fan. There's tons of places in Boston. If you need to, live with a college student for a while.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-16-2012 at 12:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships