Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times

Advertisements

Start off. There is a lot of old drama between me and my father's wife/her family. A few examples: her then 15yr old daughter tried to push my grandmother down a flight of stairs; same daughter pulled a knife on my father; same daughter vandalized my vehicle by etching "b*tch" into the DS window with a razor (done in retaliation to the next example..); 2nd old son pulled a stolen handgun on my husband and shot it off at him (and was, FORTUNATELY, a bad enough aim with enough distance to NOT hit him!!) - he did go to jail that night; all children have stolen from my father, and 2 oldest have criminal records. My father chooses to stay in this marriage, that is his business. His wife chooses to either deny her precious children would do such a thing or blame everyone else for their behavior. For example, the razor etch in my truck.. I was accused of doing it to my own truck because I was "out to get them" (I lived out of state, truck was at my dad's for a week so I could get a plate on it, I had just bought it!), and the gun fiasco was blamed on me because I called the cops and he got arrested, so I was "trying to break her family apart."

Whatever.

I wiped my hands clean. I made the decision that I do not need this kind of drama in my life or these kind of people. My father chooses that lifestyle, that is fine. I will visit him away from them.

My sister, however, was to "be friends" with everyone. I did tell her very clearly after the truck got vandalized that I was not going to have any part of their lives. If she wanted me to visit her, that was fine, but absolutely do not expect me to visit with them and pretend that the history we have has never happened. I am done, I'm moving on.

My sister decides she will have turkey dinner at her new house, invites us up. Tells me that our father and our biological half brother, whom I haven't seen in 3yrs, will be there. AWESOME! But, we had the arrange it on my schedule, making my brother change his kids visitation and everything, so I absolutely have to go now that I have confirmed.

Then, my sister (2 days away from heading up to see everyone) drops the bomb. "I invited [father's wife] and [daughter], they will be coming as well..... And it is EXPECTED that you don't start any problems with them!!"

WTF???

So, obviously how I feel is in complete disregard. She knows, though, if I had known that they were coming - I would have absolutely turned down her offer without question. So, she played a sneaky, shady BS game to get me to commit and then knows I would not back out because of how much schedule rearranging my brother is doing just to get a chance to visit with me.

I am still going to go, put on my happy, smiley and keep it light hearted. I'm not going to dig up old, hard feelings.

But, I'm also not going to forget the crap my sister is playing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Start off. There is a lot of old drama between me and my father's wife/her family. A few examples: her then 15yr old daughter tried to push my grandmother down a flight of stairs; same daughter pulled a knife on my father; same daughter vandalized my vehicle by etching "b*tch" into the DS window with a razor (done in retaliation to the next example..); 2nd old son pulled a stolen handgun on my husband and shot it off at him (and was, FORTUNATELY, a bad enough aim with enough distance to NOT hit him!!) - he did go to jail that night; all children have stolen from my father, and 2 oldest have criminal records. My father chooses to stay in this marriage, that is his business. His wife chooses to either deny her precious children would do such a thing or blame everyone else for their behavior. For example, the razor etch in my truck.. I was accused of doing it to my own truck because I was "out to get them" (I lived out of state, truck was at my dad's for a week so I could get a plate on it, I had just bought it!), and the gun fiasco was blamed on me because I called the cops and he got arrested, so I was "trying to break her family apart."

Whatever.

I wiped my hands clean. I made the decision that I do not need this kind of drama in my life or these kind of people. My father chooses that lifestyle, that is fine. I will visit him away from them.

My sister, however, was to "be friends" with everyone. I did tell her very clearly after the truck got vandalized that I was not going to have any part of their lives. If she wanted me to visit her, that was fine, but absolutely do not expect me to visit with them and pretend that the history we have has never happened. I am done, I'm moving on.

My sister decides she will have turkey dinner at her new house, invites us up. Tells me that our father and our biological half brother, whom I haven't seen in 3yrs, will be there. AWESOME! But, we had the arrange it on my schedule, making my brother change his kids visitation and everything, so I absolutely have to go now that I have confirmed.

Then, my sister (2 days away from heading up to see everyone) drops the bomb. "I invited [father's wife] and [daughter], they will be coming as well..... And it is EXPECTED that you don't start any problems with them!!"

WTF???

So, obviously how I feel is in complete disregard. She knows, though, if I had known that they were coming - I would have absolutely turned down her offer without question. So, she played a sneaky, shady BS game to get me to commit and then knows I would not back out because of how much schedule rearranging my brother is doing just to get a chance to visit with me.

I am still going to go, put on my happy, smiley and keep it light hearted. I'm not going to dig up old, hard feelings.

But, I'm also not going to forget the crap my sister is playing...
Let it out....good!....breeeaaathhh.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Wanna borrow my MAC-10???

If I were you, I would probably contact the brother somehow and let him know you want to see him - but perhaps if he could get out of the house for a little while. I would not go to your sister's little party. Or, contact your bro and apologize for making him re-arrange his schedule and offer to see him another tme when it is convenient for him without him having to change his schedule.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Okaaaaay.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
There's a movie in here somewhere!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Pop corn any body? Shows about to start

Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM

596 posts, read 889,976 times
I agree with Twinkle Toes. If you do go there, your sister will never take you seriously again and this will keep happening. Make arrangements to see the non-psycho members of your family separately. Your sister is not taking your feelings into consideration. You have EVERY RIGHT to decide for yourself who you will and will not have contact with.

I think the reason we hear so many nightmare holiday stories is because too many people don't have enough sense to stay away from toxic people. Either that, or people deep down enjoy all of the drama. I don't know..

Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
I think we're all allowed to vent every now and then..

Old 11-21-2008, 01:51 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
did you think the dad was going to come without the wife? I mean really?

Just go, try to maintain your composure, then leave. And count it as a good deed that you are seeing your father.

Maybe it will all go well. If so, then life as you know it may change.

If not, tell your sister that she better not plan try that on you again.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Anything you might want to do to her, please do it after the holidays!! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships