Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 AM

201 posts, read 490,835 times

Advertisements

When my relatives in my extended family arrive at our house on Christmas, loaded with gifts for all of them, some of them don't give me the time of day. The best I am able to get out of the them is a grunt or at best a simple hello.

When I was growing up and my parents taught me manners they said that if someone comes to my home I owe it to them to be a good host and be friendly and conversational. On their part because they are sharing my home with them and welcome them with open arms they owe me pleasant greetings and conversation. Exactly how much conversation is the question but warmth and friendliness is expected by everyone. At least among the adults.

Do these rules still exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It doesn't matter if you think they "owe" you. They obviously don't think so.

You've written on other forums how dysfunctional they are. The best gift you could give yourself is to LET IT GO and accept that they are not going to change, especially for you. Some people are *ssholes.

Manners, believe it or not, are quite subjective. Even though we say there is such a thing as "basic" courtesy, we all have our different standards, and we get in trouble when we try to project our etiquette standards on others.

Remember this: "Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, based on all your posts which basically are filled with snobbery and snide remarks about everyone from the mailman to your mother-in-law, I'm not sure I would give you the time of day either. I wouldn't care to be message board fodder.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I read your threads often. Usually it is about your Wife's relatives. Is this about your relatives?? or hers and yours both??
I think that if you have people treating you so badly, you don't invite them to your home, you exclude them from every aspect of your life.. Period. And not just during the holidays.

Last edited by JanND; 12-10-2012 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: revised

Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
So . . .you say when you were growing up you were taught manners . . . and you say these folks are your relatives . . . did they not either grow up with one of your parents or you? Or both?

I guess I don't get the question. You say they come loaded with presents but yet don't "give you the time of day." Is that because they are engaging with the children, for whom they brought the gifts? Or b/c they are simply using your house as a gathering place and wish to see everyone else except you? lol I mean - really - what is it you expect - you invite people to your home and they bring gifts . . . for someone . . . so it seems they are trying to be festive and in the right spirit.

Wouldn't you be the host if they are in your home? So why wouldn't they be talking with you? Are you busy with other tasks? Do folks not really want to be there? Is this an ongoing tradition - coming to your home as opposed to someone else's in the family?

Nothing about social customs has changed - and many are very individual to the family members themselves, based on their culture, ages, and past relationships with one another.

Why do YOU think they don't "give you the time of day?"

Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Are the Holidays the only time that you bother to see these people? Do you call them up regularly just to see how things are?

Maybe they are just being polite in accepting your invitation. They probably wish that you wouldn't ask them again. It's awkward to turn down an invitation to a family gathering. Not many people do even if they want to.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
You should just ignore them completely and invite the neighbors over to chit chat with you, instead.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
When my relatives in my extended family arrive at our house on Christmas, loaded with gifts for all of them, some of them don't give me the time of day. The best I am able to get out of the them is a grunt or at best a simple hello.

When I was growing up and my parents taught me manners they said that if someone comes to my home I owe it to them to be a good host and be friendly and conversational. On their part because they are sharing my home with them and welcome them with open arms they owe me pleasant greetings and conversation. Exactly how much conversation is the question but warmth and friendliness is expected by everyone. At least among the adults.

Do these rules still exist?
Hey, it's your house and you invited them...sounds like you know what they are like...personally people like that wouldn't be invited to my home, cause I figure if they don't like me then they won't like my home.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I always shake my head at stories like this. I know people who constantly set themselves up for similar let downs and wonder why the heck they continue to do it?

When I was a kid we would always go to my Aunts house for Christmas, and as we all grew up and started getting married our spouses started to come. It got really crowded and people didn't have much in common and it started to not be fun. Know what I did? I stopped going and started cooking my own Christmas dinner and invited who I wanted. Some of us seem to forget that we don't have to do the same thing all the time. Perhaps your relatives don't really like coming to your house and just come out of some sense of obligation or tradition. You should make it easy on everyone and stop doing what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships