Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times

Advertisements

I live with my girlfriend and her sister has been staying with us due to marital problems. She completely moved out of their apartment and is searching for a new job back in her hometown or looking to enter the military. The problem is that she leads us to believe that she'll be an independent woman and doesn't need him but her actions prove otherwise. She'll say "he's a jerk, *******, douchebag!! I don't care to talk to him!" Then last night he calls, she answered, and left to spent the night with him.

We're trying to help her out and encourage her to do things on her own. She's only 23 and has no social life, hobbies, or interests outside of her husband. All she does is rent movies every night and orders take out. We include her when we go out and do things so she'll start to get out and do things on her own. She says she wants to join me on my morning runs so she can get in shape for the military fitness test and I'm all for it. But our efforts to help her be independent feel betrayed when she she sneaks out to be with him and or refuses to do anything except sit on the couch watch 3 movies in a row and order pizza.

I'm thinking of talking to her and telling her to stop leading us to believe one thing and doing another. I know it's hard to completely cut yourself off from your spouse but I kind of feel like our generosity is being taken advantage of. Anything we can do to help her steer in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I would suggest you talk to your girlfriend and have her do the talking to her sister. You are not related and, unless you are a qualified therapist, not really qualified to give marital advice. It will not be welcome and feelings will be hurt all the way around.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM

76 posts, read 120,817 times
This sounds like a person who is living life on a day-to-day basis with no long term goals, like a kid who never grows up. Tell me why a 23-yr old has no social life, hobbies, or interests - outside of her husband ?

Do you really want to involve yourself in helping her? Well then make her set long-term goals (for example get her own apartment in x months) and have her attain smaller goals along the way. She is like a child so you will have to hold her accountable to achieve them. If she gives you too many excuses why nothing really pans out for her, that should be a clue to you that she is not ready to grow up and become independent as you like for her to be. Whatever life she does end up with will be highly dependent on someone else. You better be careful because she is about to become your girlfriend and yours biggest nightmare.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times
I agree that you should let your girlfriend talk directly to her sister.

You are both well-intended and it is great that you are offering her assistance. Do so without expecting anything in return and knowing that she will go forward with her own decisions.

If your girlfriend does have a heart-to-heart with her sister, she should be completely honest, but help her sister set some very short term goals. Baby steps (anything else will be overwhelming and she may stop all efforts to turn her life around. Short-term goals will help her feel successful). No one changes overnight. She may resist change. She may reject you both. She may come around in time. It's a long process. She doesn't see the contradictions in her life. It'll take time for her to see them and then it'll take her some more time to change (if she ever wants to).

Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM

201 posts, read 236,276 times
Well, call me old fashioned but I think this little lass needs to head on back to her husband. She's still married and that marriage needs to be honored, at least on some level. I don't see why OP is so averse to encouraging his gf's sister to try to work it out with her husband.

I mean, yeah, you could steer her into our government's meat grinder and get her out of your hair. But I think a better lesson for her to learn at this point is that, when you've made a commitment to someone it needs to be honored. Nothing in her life will work out, including marriages, jobs, or friendships, if she doesn't learn to weather the difficult times and understand the meaning of commitment.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
You can't be the heavy here. That's your girlfriend's job. All you can do is tell your girlfriend that you're ready for the sister to move out.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
23 is very young to figure our your life in a short time. Is there more to the story? Is he abusive towards her? Honestly I would step out of it and let her figure it out herself. Let her know you are there for her if she needs anything you are there for her. Try and build up her confidence. It sounds as if she has low self esteem and doesn't think she deserves a better man.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballAllStar View Post
This sounds like a person who is living life on a day-to-day basis with no long term goals, like a kid who never grows up. Tell me why a 23-yr old has no social life, hobbies, or interests - outside of her husband ?
Exactly! She's been with him since high school and her entire life is centered around her husband. She never experienced college life or the normal fun social life of a young 20 something. They got married last year, moved in together, but they both still act like kids.

I hope she does go into the military so she'll learn how to act like an adult and make decisions for herself. Also so she'll learn live outside of her comfort zone.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
23 is very young to figure our your life in a short time. Is there more to the story? Is he abusive towards her? Honestly I would step out of it and let her figure it out herself. Let her know you are there for her if she needs anything you are there for her. Try and build up her confidence. It sounds as if she has low self esteem and doesn't think she deserves a better man.
He's not abusive at all but he's very selfish and stingy. He did nothing for her on their 1 year wedding anniversary. He doesn't do anything for her on Birthdays or Christmas. He always insists on splitting the dinner bill 50/50 with her. Whenever she wants to go somewhere she has to drive. He has alot of friends and interests but does not care to involve his wife in his life. His attitude is what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours.

She's also part of the problem. She still acts like a child and needs to be told what to do. She has gained significant weight over their relationship and she has made no effort to lose it except buying DVD's, shoes, exercise equipment and never using it. She has no career aspirations/goals in life. She has no friends, interests, or hobbies except for him. All she does is watch 2-3 movies a day.

She needs a husband to be "the man" in the relationship and lead her but he doesn't care to because of his selfishness. But she needs to act like an adult and take responsibility for herself.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
If I were you, I would stay as far removed from the situation as possible. You can't change her or him. The most likely consequence will be the sister will get mad at you, then you're girlfriend will get mad at you and you'll end up angry with both of them. (Then the sister will move back in with the husband and about the time you and your gf are settling down the whole cycle will start over again.)

Stay friendly and calm and keep your opinions to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships