Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times

Advertisements

OP, it sounds like you assume that she knew you meant this to be a private converation - did you actually tell her that it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have seen this a few times as a bystander. I personally think when this sort of things happens its one of two things. The person is so self involved they actually forget who can read their newsfeed or two, they dont want the friendship anymore and its a passive aggressive way to end it. I have seen people make some odd ball post about someone and then a few comments down is the response of "wow...sorry I bothered you. I wont again." Everyone is quiet and the poster doesn't apologize or say a word. Pretty childish means to end a friendship. Sorry that happened to you OP, you are better off without her.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM

349 posts, read 887,918 times
Default To oddstray

I would assume any conversation I have with a friend to be private. If I wanted to post my in-person or phone conversations about my issues, I wouldn't have called.

Phone calls are not news broadcasts and there was no "dramatic news"; it was merely the derogatory comments about our conversation that was hurtful.

All she had to say was "I have to go and we'll catch up again another time". Why put me down? That is what, essentially, she did.

Her post read something to the effect of: "I'm such a good friend to my long-winded friend, aren't I?" Everyone knows I talk alot - no harm there, but it's the put-down comments that were pretty obvious and pretty childish.

Mind you, I have stayed on the phone with her for hours when she was pining over an ex and effectively this went on for months (!) and not once did any part of our conversation end up in anyone else's ears...it was understood, or so I thought, that we respected each other.

Guess I called that one way wrong. Like I said, other friends out there to make and I guarantee by her lack of an apology, she doesn't see herself in the wrong or that it was a big deal.

Oh, if the shoe were on the other foot, she'd be livid, though.

Last edited by FreeSpirited1; 01-13-2013 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Clarifying

Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
So, what you are in essence telling us is this: I did unto her what she pretty much did unto me. Hmmm...

Do tell us why YOU did not take the high, "mature" road.

Or perhaps why you did not prefer to email her your feelings-- instead of basically putting them out there for all to see.

And gee, you pretty much removed all doubt as to whom she was referring.

That seems to be in conflict with what you stated your wishes to be (anonymous).

It all seems a bit hypocritical to this old Pickle.
I don't agree --- it's obvious the "friend" that isn't really a friend likes to make everything public -- so why would she mind what the OP wrote? Everyone could see the obvious so there's no need beating around the bush. I think it's fine what the OP wrote because it lets the "friend" know and it's also standing up against her bullying. She's less likely to play that game in the future if she's been called out on it this time.

For the OP -- yes this isn't a friend, time to stop pretending she is, cut off all ties including FB "friendship", and decide it's time for better friends and a better year.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
I had a long conversation with my good friend last night - I am having a very tough time these past few months (OK, most of 2012) and we haven't talked in weeks, so lots to talk about. Her life is not in any particular turmoil, so she was being sweet and supportive...or so I thought (we are in our 40's, friends 2 years now).

The next morning, I see that she started a thread - while we were on the phone - in a more or less complaining mood. She didn't share any details, but painted in this bad light, putting herself where it seems she like to be "in the perfect light".

I am thinking I don't want to confront her but at some point, I think I had better let this one fade away.

That is the most blatant abuse of trust, IMO, to put any inklings of a private conversation on FB especially when you know the person (me) will see it and is already depressed and struggling.

Your opinion?
Perhaps you interpret you being a narcissistic conversation hog as her being sweet and supportive........so you thought.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM

365 posts, read 490,165 times
FB in general just seems to be one big temptation to just write your problems away on. Same with this forum. You know why we do that? Cause we want to be heard, most people always want to be heard as human beings. We want to be recognized... We want another person to speak up relate to our story or shed some light that they have been there before. Cause everyone as humans wants to be one step ahead of anyone else.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM

177 posts, read 408,241 times
That's the funny part. She is tired of you complaining to a friend... so she complains about it to her friends! the irony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships