Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM

360 posts, read 983,482 times

Advertisements

Based on my observation and experiences of mine and some friends', the more we care about and the more time we hope to spend with another person (as a partner or friend), they will tend to treat you for granted and vice versa.

For instance if you send a signal to them that you hope to spend more time together, they would think you're a needy person who is desperate for love and attention.

On the other hand, if you keep sharing with them about how busy you were with your lives, how involved you were in this or that activity and so on, they will start getting interested in you again
(the "playing hard to get" theory).

This isn't descriptive of everybody but do you think its human nature for people to react that way? Or it just a coincidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,111,388 times
I think it has a lot to do with how you are signaling the other person that you want to spend more time with them. For example, there's a difference between, "Can I call you in a day or two? Maybe we can get together again," and "Oh, please . . . I really, really, really like you and I'm going to call you every three hours." In the later, you are smothering the other person.

If you share things about how busy you are, what you are doing and what you are involved in, that automatically gives the other person something to talk to you about, it makes you more interesting, and it keeps you from seeming like a smotherer.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,309,125 times
Too much circulation makes the price go down.
Absence creates anticipation.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM

360 posts, read 983,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Too much circulation makes the price go down.
Absence creates anticipation.
Hey! That sounds like an interesting economical perspective, it kinda makes sense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I think it has a lot to do with how you are signaling the other person that you want to spend more time with them. For example, there's a difference between, "Can I call you in a day or two? Maybe we can get together again," and "Oh, please . . . I really, really, really like you and I'm going to call you every three hours." In the later, you are smothering the other person.

If you share things about how busy you are, what you are doing and what you are involved in, that automatically gives the other person something to talk to you about, it makes you more interesting, and it keeps you from seeming like a smotherer.

Exactly. I just feel like people are annoyed by clingy/needy people and prefer to be surrounded by seemingly more interesting/busier people.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
If someone acts as if their time is valuable, when they make time to see you, it make you seem valuable.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If someone acts as if their time is valuable, when they make time to see you, it make you seem valuable.
You might have a point here.

It's about how 'worthwhile' you seem.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM

365 posts, read 490,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Based on my observation and experiences of mine and some friends', the more we care about and the more time we hope to spend with another person (as a partner or friend), they will tend to treat you for granted and vice versa.

For instance if you send a signal to them that you hope to spend more time together, they would think you're a needy person who is desperate for love and attention.

On the other hand, if you keep sharing with them about how busy you were with your lives, how involved you were in this or that activity and so on, they will start getting interested in you again
(the "playing hard to get" theory).

This isn't descriptive of everybody but do you think its human nature for people to react that way? Or it just a coincidence?
This is pretty true for me. Story time! About 7 months back I had a girl that was just trailing me the more I spent time with her the less time she really wanted to hang out. Even though every time she mentioned anything I was usually busy but just met up with her after. We fooled around or did some stupid things . The one thing that I don't tend to do is pay attention for the time being. In the summer I was working 5 days a week and it was just non-relaxing; Anyway... She texted me a month after I really wasn't able to get around to talking to her month saying that she was dying to do something with me. And this has kept happening ever since then. I keep busy in the summer in the winter not so much. Anyway the moral of the story is the hard to get game can be playing accidentally very easy.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,838,335 times
That theory may be true, but I don't have time, seriously don't have time, for nonsense like that in my life. If you can't bother to call me on my summer break and whine that you never see me when I'm back in school, I'm really not going to care.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM

23 posts, read 42,745 times
If somebody wants to hang out with you they will make the time. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships