Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times

Advertisements

My grandmother showed me unconditional love and what it means to love someone beyond judgement and to guide someone without control. True freedom.

My current boyfriend, my mom, and my dad showed me what it means to forgive, not just others, but also myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
My uncle has been gone for almost 16 years and there are days that I wish I could just talk to him one more time. I was only 12 when he died but he was so much fun and I learned so much from him. 16 years later, I still miss him often.

My grandfather will have been gone for 2 years next month. It still doesn't feel real. I miss our talks most of all. We could always talk for hours. Sadly, as much as I miss my grandma (we don't live near each other) I have a hard time talking to her because I still my him too much. I wish I could enjoy whatever time I have left with her but it is hard.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
My mom, gone 29 years. My grandmother, gone 33 years. My mother-in-law, gone 7 years. All of my aunts and uncles and some cousins.
Don't get me started on pets.

I don't fear death. I know more loved ones, family, and friends on the other side than on this side.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
My dad and I were never really close. It seemed that he favored my brother, because he was "the only boy". I felt like the only time he gave me praise was when I worked my butt off doing chores (which my brother was always able to get out of). Anyway, it wasn't until I had kids of my own that I started understanding that he loved me the best he knew, that he could only love me from his own childhood experiences (which weren't all that good), and that whether I felt that love or not, he always had my back.

He will have been gone for 24 years this month. When I broke up with my SO just before the holidays (always a "wonderful time" to break up, huh?) this past year, I found myself wishing that Dad was around. He would have been 90, and even though he wouldn't have been able to do something for me, he would have listened, he would have given me advise, and if he knew someone for me to call, he would have put me in touch with that person. My dad would have pulled me up by my bootlaces when I didn't feel like doing it myself.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
My uncle has been gone for almost 16 years and there are days that I wish I could just talk to him one more time. I was only 12 when he died but he was so much fun and I learned so much from him. 16 years later, I still miss him often.

My grandfather will have been gone for 2 years next month. It still doesn't feel real. I miss our talks most of all. We could always talk for hours. Sadly, as much as I miss my grandma (we don't live near each other) I have a hard time talking to her because I still my him too much. I wish I could enjoy whatever time I have left with her but it is hard.
Don't wait or hesitate. She was part of your Grandpa's life, share your love for him with her. She may need you too. Take it from an Old Lady w/ plenty of "what if" regrets. Call or go visit her asap!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't wait or hesitate . . . share your love for him with her . . . plenty of "what if" regrets. Call or go visit . . .
This is good advice no matter what capacity you are in someone's life (friend, sibling, offspring, lover, etc.), because you don't know if/when that person might need to hear from you - or anyone - and you never know when the last time will be that you will be able to talk to that person. There have been a few people in my life that I have talked to and within hours or a couple days, they have died. It's a shock, of course, but demonstrates the importance of keeping in touch with people. And hearing from you may turn a person's tough day into a day that is more manageable.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't wait or hesitate. She was part of your Grandpa's life, share your love for him with her. She may need you too. Take it from an Old Lady w/ plenty of "what if" regrets. Call or go visit her asap!

Thanks Jan, I plan on visiting at the end of the year (She lives in Brazil). I do miss her but I never know what to say. I always knew what to say when I talked to my grandfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships