Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

What he means by reiterating his statement after you make it an issue, is, he doesn't care if you think it's politically incorrect.

Instead of trying to find your needle of a solution to this problem in a haystack of potential comebacks, it's probably just as well to drop it altogether, or simply stop associating with him. If this type of thing bothers you, getting more friends might only result in getting more irritation. A hobby might be a better solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I doubt I would keep a friend like that especially since he continues to say it after you have mentioned it more than once.
Again, I think if the first "Ah So" was ignored, there is a good chance it is not repeated. Maybe the OP can ignore it the next time. I know if I am told something I say is not politically correct, I am more likely to say it again. Maybe only in the workplace will I obey the request (and that has not happened in awhile) for obvious reasons. Most people (even a left of center guy like me) are tired of the political correctness "police" and their exaggerated reactions.

It's our casual way of saying "get a life". There are more important things in the world to get concerned or offended about and the PC stuff is usually trivial. Of course, I avoid saying the big no no's that have become a part of our society (not using "n" word for blacks, "s" word for Hispanics or "k" word for Jewish people I obey 100% and mainly because I don't want to say those words). My point is we don't keep needing to add more or we will need to consult a legal advisor or a "speech guide book" every time we say something. Keep it simple. There are enough "forbidden" words already if you ask most people. Just chill and relax a little.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Chessgeek, I think you may be right about ignoring. When I tell Jerry about it not being politically correct, it almost does seem to reward him---like he's such a comedian and so fearless, not caring about being politically correct. So if there is just silence, maybe then he will see that it's not cool and doesn't add to conversation.

And I take enough yoga classes that attempt to teach me to be non-reactive, so this is really a good plan.

But---in my defense (hey, if I don't defend myself, who will? ), Jerry is trying very hard to date and find a girlfriend at the age of 62 and after 20 years of marriage, so I thought I should try to help him by cleaning up his act a bit---the Ah So may turn off other women. But it's his life, so he will just have to keep looking for a woman who enjoys the Ah So (got to be at least one out there, right?)

Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
You misinterpret him. He is not saying "Ah, so." He is referring to the downstream end of your alimentary canal.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You misinterpret him. He is not saying "Ah, so." He is referring to the downstream end of your alimentary canal.
Is that you, Jerry? Didn't know you were interested in Maine!

To everyone else, thanks for your thoughtful replies. All the different opinions help keep this in perspective and allow me to ponder how to handle him and how to deal with life's minor irritants.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM

225 posts, read 344,605 times
First of all, I think the reference comes from old Charlie Chan movies, he was an Asian detective, possibly the first Asian people had ever seen on TV. Whenever he "understood" something, he would bow respectably and utter, "Ahhh, soooo," and people sort of 'learned' that it was an Oriental custom, right or wrong. They didn't use the word Stereotypes back then.

If it bothers you, say something. Remaining silent is to be accepting (sometimes)

Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
First of all, I think the reference comes from old Charlie Chan movies, he was an Asian detective, possibly the first Asian people had ever seen on TV. Whenever he "understood" something, he would bow respectably and utter, "Ahhh, soooo," and people sort of 'learned' that it was an Oriental custom, right or wrong. They didn't use the word Stereotypes back then.

If it bothers you, say something. Remaining silent is to be accepting (sometimes)
She already tried saying something and Jerry repeated it. She will try silence next. I assumed Jerry was in his 20's or 30's. I also know some older people that are not PC. It just did not get passed to that generation to the same degree and heck I am only a decade younger than Jerry (not young).

Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Chessgeek, I think you may be right about ignoring. When I tell Jerry about it not being politically correct, it almost does seem to reward him---like he's such a comedian and so fearless, not caring about being politically correct. So if there is just silence, maybe then he will see that it's not cool and doesn't add to conversation.

And I take enough yoga classes that attempt to teach me to be non-reactive, so this is really a good plan.

But---in my defense (hey, if I don't defend myself, who will? ), Jerry is trying very hard to date and find a girlfriend at the age of 62 and after 20 years of marriage, so I thought I should try to help him by cleaning up his act a bit---the Ah So may turn off other women. But it's his life, so he will just have to keep looking for a woman who enjoys the Ah So (got to be at least one out there, right?)
Just don't set him up with any Asian women. There are also limits to not being PC ! Good luck with the new approach and with finding more compatible friends, too!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
When he says "Ah so"

Reply "Yes, you are."

Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Hmmm...By chance is he a fan of the late Peter Sellers???

He may fancy himself as some sort of comedian, and think that saying such a thing is somehow channeling Sellers.

Just a thought and benefit of a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships